Who has been to Hawaii and Tahiti?

Mar 12th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Jay

Who has been to Hawaii and Tahiti?

My friend and I went to Tahiti last year on an 8 Renaissance cruise. We loved the islands so much. It really made us interested in going to other Polynesian destinations. We actually made plans to go to Hawaii and later, we changed our minds to go back to Tahiti again. Last year was such a tease. I would really be interested in hearing from somebody who has been to both places who could compare the two. Thank you, Jay

Mar 12th, 2002, 02:09 PM
LordBalfor

In March of 2000 my wife and I visited Hawaii for 9 days ( on Oahu/5 on Kauai) then went directly to French Polynesia for a week (2 nights Tahiti/5 nights Bora Bora), before heading back to Oahu for 1 night then home to Seattle.

Hawaii is terrific, but FP is even better. The Hawaiian islands are too young to have yet developed the wonderful reef systems, motus and lagoons that the South Pacific islands are so famous for. As a result, the waters of Hawaii are rougher and colder with much larger waves. If you want to surf, go to Hawaii. If you want to snorkel, go to FP.

Ken

Mar 12th, 2002, 07:53 PM
freewoman

I have been to Maui, Kauai and Moorea. I loved all three. I would definitely choose Moorea if I were looking for a really romantic place. That said, I thought Maui was my idea of a perfect destination.

If you are someone who has to have something to do every minute, Moorea probably is not for you. It is very laid back and there are not a lot of tourtisty things to do. But I thought it was wonderful to have a week with no tv, no telephone, no radio, no air conditioning and just to relax with no cares at all.

Maui, on the other hand, has plenty to do in the way of excursions and day trips, shopping and restaurants.

I would put Kauai somewhere in between Maui and Moorea.

I would jump at the chance to go to any of them again!

Mar 13th, 2002, 05:40 AM
Kim

Hi Jay,
In June of 2001, we went on a 10-day Renaissance Cruise to Tahiti - as you know, it was awesome. I still can't believe Ren went bankrupt and is no longer cruising Tahiti, because that is one vacation that I would definitely do again. We went with a group of 6 and all of us had a great time.
We try to go to Hawaii once every few years - My favorite island there is Kauai. We've been to Oahu and Maui, so I can't compare it to the Big Island.
They are really different vacations - Tahiti or Hawaii. It really depends on what you like to do - if you enjoy snorkeling, I would go back to Tahiti, the island of Raiatea. The motus were fantastic for snorkeling. It's all a personal preference, but I wasn't very impressed with Moorea - it was pretty, but I think the other island of Tahiti and Kauai are much prettier.
Kauai is really laid back, not a lot of nightlife - Maui has more of that. Maui also has Haleakala (a great volcano to see at sunrise - it looks like the sun is rising out of it), the road to Hana is a must to see.
So, I guess what I'm saying, is they are all absolutely BEAUTIFUL - it just depends on what you want to do.
Have fun wherever you choose!

Mar 13th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Jay

Thanks Kim and LordBalfour,
I really loved the trip. Moorea and Raiatea, Tahaa and of course Bora Bora were super. We were on a 7 or 8 day cruise and it just wasn't enough time. We will have enough mileage for a trip to Hawaii so that is definitely on our list!

Mar 16th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Kim

Hi Jay,
Just even seeing the name "Tahaa" makes me think of vanilla! What a great place!

Mar 17th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Geoff

If you like what you saw in Tahiti, I think you might be disappointed in Hawaii. It's always been somewhat American mainland, and catering to higher end tourists. (although there are a variety of budgets that can be accomodated)

If you liked Tahiti, try looking into the Cooks and Tonga. Not sure what you're looking for but Samoa might be interesting to you as well. Fiji is great but is non-Polynesian. Very different native culture, plus also the Indian culture there as well.

Mar 24th, 2002, 06:54 PM
SteveP

I was on two honeymoons, one for each of my marriages.

In 10/93 we stayed for 15 days at the Hyatt Regency Maui.

In 1/00 we stayed for 7 days in Moorea and 7 days in Bora Bora (both Club Meds).

In an unbiased viewpoint, the trip to Tahiti was way better that the trip to Hawaii. The beaches were better, the islands were quieter, and the islands were more exotic and carefree.

One fact that might come into play is that in Tahiti you don't see all of the stuff that you have back home. The only reminder of back home was the McDonalds in Papeete. Hawaii has the same malls, a Home Depot (love the store but not on vacation), a Costco, etc... Maybe that in Tahiti we rented mopeds for a day and a Fiat (Tahitian Ferrari) instead of a Chevy makes it feel more exotic. Maybe in Tahiti cellular phones, beepers, etc... are not going off in public and in Hawaii you see them. Maybe Hawaii is easy to call from home and Tahiti isn't makes this place feel more far away. Hawaii has traffic jams. Tahiti doesn't. The luau in Hawaii had about 300 people. The one in Tahiti had about 25.

The list goes on and on. I highly recommend Tahiti and Club Med. This view is unbiased. Don't think that my somewhat down view on Hawaii is there because I am divorced from my first marriage.

Mar 25th, 2002, 07:37 PM
greg

We've been to Tahiti (mostly Moorea and Bora Bora) twice, Hawaii four times. As others said, they are different places.

Hawaii is an USA resort while Tahiti is a French resort. In Hawaii people thinks, services, serves food, and responds not much different from resorts in the mainland. If you have to have this kind of familiar environment, Hawaii is the place. In Tahiti, the service is more European, they leave you alone until you ask, which appears unresponsive to those used to American say. Food is more French mixed with Asian and Polynesian adopted to some degree to Americans who visit there in large numbers. For me when I am that far away from the mainland USA, I rather not feel as though I as still in the mainland.

In Tahiti you do not see tour busses crisscrossing the islands like in Hawaii. Hawaii has big city like nightlife, there isn't much in Tahiti. Hawaii has coral seas, but nothing like the lagoon you see in Tahiti with motu and atolls like Bora Bora, Tahaa, Huahine, Rangiora or Moorea.

If I can take only one more trip to these places, I would go to Tahiti.

And, yes, in Hawaii, we always seem to be in the hotel at the same time as so and so companies' sales goal achievement celebration events with loud speaking people all over the hotel. I have never seen any of these loudness in Tahiti. I like peace and tranquility there.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:21 PM
debabaroza

Have been to both destinations and have just planned a trip back to French Polynesia and the Marquesas Islands later this year. Will be spending most of our time on 2 islands in the Marquesas (first time here) and then 4 days on Moorea before returning home. Our first trip to Tahiti was about 6 years ago on a Windstar cruise through the islands. This was a great trip and gave you a good taste for the region. Also stayed on Tahiti for a few days beforehand but would definitely suggest spending time on the other islands. One day touring around Tahiti was more than enough for our tastes. We have also been to the Hawaiian islands many times over the years visiting Kaui, Oahu. Maui, Lanai and the Big Island. Our favorites are The Big Island for its diversity and Kaui for its tropical beauty. That said if I were to choose between the two regions I would definitely pick French Polynesia for something truly tropical, a paradise away from the fast pace of everyday life.