Yasawa Islands- FIJI

Feb 17th, 2002, 08:26 PM
cherie

Yasawa Islands- FIJI

My hubby and I are planning a our 3rd trip to fiji and want a back to basic experence and are interested in the upper end of the budget market in the Yawawas.......we are especially interested in Otto & Fanny's on Tavewa Island and Octopus resort on Waya Island.
i would love to hear from anyone who had stayed at these resorts or simular resorts.
Atmosphere is really important to us.

Mar 27th, 2002, 09:25 AM
motu

go to fijiguide.com and go to the bulletlin board. Also a web site at thefikeadventure.com.

Mar 28th, 2002, 01:46 AM
Kerry

Hi Cherie

My wife and I have been frequent Fiji visitors and last year did the level of accommodation (upper end of the budget market) that you are talking about at McDonalds on Nanau-i-ra Island. We are off to the Yawawas next month to try one of the resorts you are interestd in plus Kingfisher Lodge. IF you can wait I will give you an up to date first hand report.
Kerry

Mar 28th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Holly

Kerry,
Hope you have a nice trip - give us the report when you get back!!!

Mar 30th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Brandi

I stayed at Octopus and loved it! The staff were friendly, the snorkelling out front was amazing! They also have a dive shop on property now. I do NOT reccomend any of the resorts on Tavewa! The beaches are ok, and I would recommend Otto and Fanny's as opposed to Coral View. I guess I didn't like that fact that there wasn't a village on the island and the owners of the resorts were out to save a buck at all costs. Like making us walk to the other side of the island for a boat trip across the bay, to save on fuel. So we walked to the other resort, then were able to get on the boat! I wouldn't have complained, but it was high tide, and we had to climb over rocks with waves splashing up against us. Anyway, if you do go, get the Banana pancakes at Otto's! I know the Octopus prices out more, but the snorkeling alone makes it worth the cost. Hope this as helped, If you have any other questions, ask away. I spent six weeks just on those two islands, so I would love to help.
Brandi

Mar 31st, 2002, 10:00 PM
A. Traveller

The terrible trials that Fodorites suffer to vacation in remote locales never cease to amaze me.

To whit "it was high tide, and we had to
climb over rocks with waves splashing up against us."

Truly 'Brandi' is a unique and resilient individual!

Her tale of tribulations and experiences rare and perilous-paid for in more ways than one-are an inspiration to us all!

Apr 1st, 2002, 08:08 AM
Fijigirl

I have had to make that same trip on a different island in Fiji. It is very painful to be thrown up against the rocks, why do you feel the need to make fun of 'Brandi' just because she is answering Cherie's question and sharing experiences?? Was that the point of your post? To be rude?

I would not stay on Tavewa, but can't say much as to Octopus. Haven't been there. My boyfriend has been to Octopus and said he would go back in a heart beat.

I did love Fiji and it will stay with me forever. Don't pass up the chance to go, you won't regret it.

Angel

Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:49 PM
debabaroza

If you are looking for someplace really special in the Fiji Islands then I would highly recommend the Yasawa Island Resort. This was truly paradise on a relatively small island with only the one resort (limited to 16 bures along a lovely stretch of beach) A real diamond in the middle of a more remote island with just a few small villages. The resort is very comfortable with excellent accommodations and food and because it is small it offers a more intimate friendly feel. Guests congregate in the evening before dinner in a lovely open lounge area for cockails and conversation. Lots of trails to walk and explore as well as water activities etc. offered by the resort. Visiting the villages with a guide and permission from the local Chief was very interesting. No electricity or running water for the local people. Some people still living in grass bures. This Island was about a 25 minute plane ride from Fiji landing on a grass strip on the Island where you are greeted with a refreshing fruit drink before a short transfer to the resort. This is an expensive place to stay but well worth the cost.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:05 PM
Fiji travelers

Our family spent five wonderful days at Octopus last Aug. The snorkeling and beach were fantastic and we met many interesting travelers. It's a very relaxing place to vacation. The manager arranged a great day trip for us to visit other resorts and the local school (a special interest to a teacher!). Our only advice is to be sure that the weather is clear before setting out to the mainland. Our return trip to Levuka was a nightmare as the boat was not designed for the storm conditions we encounted. If the seas look bad, stay put for an extra day. (Don't believe the captain if he says it's safe to go when it looks rough!) We hope that you have a great trip and get to visit this beautiful island.