Whitianga/Opito Bay

Aug 25th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Whitianga/Opito Bay

Can anyone tell me about Whitianga? Would it be a good place to stay for six weeks or so in June/July? What about Opito Bay?
Aug 25th, 2005, 07:37 PM

Hi Cindy

Both Whitianga and Opito Bay have their own benefits.

Whitianga size wise is bigger being a small town. Mainly popular in the summer months. A lot of people have thir holiday homes there. (sadly not me) it has a good sheltered beach some pleasent cafes and a good selection of shops where you can pick up supplies. The surrounding area in the Coromandel is great for walks andthe bush scenery is great.

Given that it will be winter when you are there do not expect to be able to swim. The water will be freezing.

Most of the time it will feel a bit deserted given the season.

From Whitianga you can ferry accross to Cooks Beach. Another nice location. Quite a few artists around there and a couple of nice cafes to try.

If you are feeling fit, see if you can hire a mountain bike for the duration of your stay. It would be agood way to get about short distances and help you explore the local region.

With Opito bay I have assumed you mean the one on the Coromandel? There is another one in the Bay of Islands.

This is a tiny place and will be VERY sleepy in winter. Limited facilities for getting supplies. If it is isolation you are after you sure will find it there. The nearest settlement of any size you are near to is Matarangi. You can get supplies there from a convenience store.

You will most certainly need a vehicle if you are to choose either. As both are isolated and if you need to get away to a "big Town" a car would be the most practical way to do it.

Hope some of this helps. The Cormandel is a stunning part of New Zealand very lush with beautiful beaches and stunning views.

And only 2 - 3 hours from Auckland too.

Cheers

Steve
Aug 25th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Steve, for such a helpful answer. I'd been hoping to find a place where we could bike some. Do you have any idea what bike rentals would cost? I can't find that on the web.
Aug 27th, 2005, 09:43 PM

Hi Cindy

I did find this site. The actual outlet is just down the road from our city office.

It would mean carting the bikes down to the Coromandel but shole be managable as long as your vehicle is not too small.

http://www.tourism.net.nz/jumpto/26542

Sorry, cold not find anything closer.

Steve
Aug 28th, 2005, 10:01 AM

Hi Cindy, In Coromandel, you might consider Thames, it still has a small town feel on the Main Street. Coromandel might indeed feel very isolated off-season.