Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

So many must sees, any off the beaten path?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:01 PM
Evelyn

We just bought our plane tickets to NZ! In researching where to go, I already know I cannot cover all the places I want to go to in 2 weeks. One of the things that are really important to me is to see something that isn't a tourist spot. One of the best things about our trip to Greece last year was that we saw some small towns between sights. Anyone have any off the beaten path places they love in NZ? Also, what exactly is the difference between Bay of Islands and Bay of Plenty? I'd like to go to both but due to time constraints, I think I have to choose one.

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 04:18 AM
Alan

Hi, Evelyn!<BR>This one's just for starters... I recall a small town on the north island -- I think it is Napier -- which I found intriguing because of the riotous architecture. Seems the original town was destroyed by an earthquake three-quarters of a century ago, and the town was rather hastily rebuilt just at the time that art deco was at its height. So, there are literally streets full of buildings that all look rather like Radio City Music Hall... except that these are small two-storey shops, not huge monoliths! I am sure some New Zealanders will correct me if I have the wrong town name here... certainly it's in the north-east. Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Evelyn

Alan- Yep, that's exactly what I want to know. I can find out a lot about different sites in tour books but sometimes the towns not mentioned in the books are what makes the trip. Anyone else have any special place they'd recommend in NZ? What about the Bay of Islands v. Bay of Plenty thing?

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:31 PM
James

Hi Evelyn,<BR><BR>I am from NZ and would be happy to answer any of your questions if I can - just post or email me at [email protected]<BR><BR>The main town in the Bay of Plenty is Tauranga which is a plaesant place with beautiful beaches and popular in summer. It is around 2-2.4 hours drive sth of Auckland<BR>Napier, the art deco town mentioned by the other poster is actually in Hawke's bay - much further south.<BR>The Bay of Islands is at the far north of the north island, It is a magnificent place and well worth the visit<BR>

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Evelyn

James- What is the difference between Bay of Islands & Bay of Plenty? We're not into hanging out at the beach. I think we may have to go only to one since we plan to spend only 1 week in North Island. Thanks for your reply!

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:57 AM
Tannis

New Zealand has some wonderful off-the-beaten path places. One of my favourites in the North Island was Orakei-Korako. It is a 'thermal resort' in the central North Island. The tour of the thermal areas is fascinating, and the whole place is hidden away in what is called "Hidden Valley."<BR><BR>As for Bay of Islands vs. Bay of Plenty, I've never been to Bay of Islands but I spent about two weeks in the Bay of Plenty and a third week on the Corromandel Penninsula. If you're not really into hanging out at the beach, I would say stick to the Corromandel side of the Bay of Plenty if you are heading that way.<BR><BR>Another fantastic area is Nelson, and over to Golden Bay. Golden Bay was one of my favourite places in New Zealand.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 11:59 AM
John

Evelyn:<BR>I'm not sure there are non-tourist spots in New Zealand. We spent 3 months on two separate occassions in New Zealand in 1999 and 2000. <BR>We loved Geraldine and Dunedin. Both in the South Island. <BR>Where ever you visit there you will be treated royally.<BR>John