Search

Byron Bay Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Byron Bay Honeymoon

Hi everyone, Sorry if this sounds like a whole lot of other forums but....I've been looking at Byron Bay for our honeymoon in late October next year and have heard mixed opinions. Basically we want to stay at a luxury B&B, probably in the hinterland. So, a couple of questions: 1. What's the weather like at that time of the year? We'd like to be able to sit outside, drive to a beach, walk around the little towns etc without freezing. 2. We won't have a huge amount to spend on meals, what are the restaurants like in the area eg. Ballina, Byron, Bangalow?
We originally thought about Noosa, but after going there for work it really doesn't look like our sort of place...I think someone else mentioned the ponsy people flashing their jewels, the expensive restaurants and boutiques? We're definitley into somewhere more relaxed and friendly. At the moment I'm torn between Peppers Casuarina Lodge and Green Mango Hideaway. I know Peppers are notoriously luxurious, but am not sure we'll be comfortable in a place like that - whereas Green Mango looks Very comfortable and the people really friendly. Sorry to waffle on but any suggestions, advice or alternatives would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 03:50 AM

Beautiful surfing beaches and lovely hinterland. I'd find it a bit cool for beaches in October, but as you're from New Zealand you'd probably be fine. Staying in hinterland is a good idea, the town itself isn't so great these days. You may as well be in Kuta, Bali. Restaurants are like anywhere else, you'll pay for the better ones, but they are there. Bangalow would have to be one of the prettiest places in the country and its away from some of the worst elements of Byron township which has nothing to do with its natural scenery, just with a lot of those who are attracted there.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 03:19 PM

Hey there, hmmmmm, Byron Bay, you either love it or hate it. I live here and am inbetween. We have been her for the past 17 years so I guess we can comment. It is getting a bit scruffy these days and full of wannabes and lost souls searching for lifes answers. Anyway, October is a nice time of year, not hot and not to cold. Being a keen fisherman the water is just nice and a little on the cooler side. Bugger all rain and nice sunny days. A couple more B&Bs that have a name for themselves around town are The Summer House. Go to the following thesummerhouse.com.au or the Gaia Retreat and go to gaiaretreat.com.au They are both really nice. I did note with this posting that when I previewed my posting that they dropped off the .au of the end of the weblink. So add .au to the B&B names. Byron Bay is getting fairly expensive and being a tourist town even us locals get ripped off except if you know the owners or staff. But probably no more expensive than any other well known tourist trap. But with many new businesses opening and heaps of sea changers coming in, they all want to change it to suit the value of the $$$$$$$$. But yeah, Byron is good for a gawk and holiday as nobody gives a hoot whether your bum is hanging out of your pants or you are covered in bling. As long as you have the $$$ then you will be well serviced. I enjoy hanging out at cafes sometimes and listening to both tourists and locals talk crap to each other, it is really good for a laugh. eg. how Byron has changed their spiritual self being, how the they are now more in control of their self, how the creative energy of the town has inspired them etc etc etc. What a load of crap, if you can't find yourself where ever you are then you are really lost. Anyway, back to the main post, forget Ballina, they call it Byron Bays ugly sister and it is the retirees dream of the North Coast and totally boring. Nothing to look at and you have to be careful or you may get run over by a granny on an electric scooter. Bangalow has some feel about it. Brunswick Heads is nice and quiet, Mullumbimby you can go back in time. Lennox Head not much there but a nice small town. There are some nice villages around if you want a country drive. Yeah, I reckon you will have a great time. Except for the Cape (The Lighhouse area) Byron is very flat if you want to hire a bike. Lots of shops with lots of variety. After dark on weekends things come alive. Throught he week it is mainly dead. Anyway, if you want to know any more let me know. See ya Steve.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Original Poster

Steve that post was absolutely hilarious. Have you heard anything about Casuarina Lodge? Also, is there much to do except fishing and going for drives in the countryside? Flights from NZ are proving to be impossible to organise...is it a huge drive from Brisbane??
Appreciate all you advice
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 01:42 AM

Hey there, I liked your funny face. Casuarina Lodge is pretty swish for a B&B and apparently really good service. I suppose you would expect that for the $$. Have heard good reports from around the traps. In a fairly out of the way part of the Shire in the hills. I think I can hear them banjos playing from here, nah, not that bad.

Brisbane to Byron bay is about a 2 and a bit hour drive from the Airport. The airport is on the north side of Brisbane. You may want to try Jetstar (part of Qantas) www.jetstar.com or Freedom Air to Coolangatta, mostly referred to as the Gold Coast airport. It is about a 40 minute drive to Byron Bay from there. Jetstar do not go to many places in NZ though.

Freedom Air comes from a number of towns/cities in NZ direct to The Gold Coast and the same return. Give them a try. As I said, only 40 minutes from Byro Bay. Their website is www.freedomair.com Just looking at their website would appear to be a far better choice than flying into Brisbane. They also have the new deal on better seating in a 2 seat configuration rather than the 3. You pay a bit more, but probably worth the extra for comfort. I looked this up recently as we were looking to holiday in NZ this new year. But alas, chose Paris instead.

Things to do, let me see, fishing, swimming, hanging out at the beach, surfing (I am so hopeless at it) but fun, shopping (no big department stores or anything) not even a McDonalds. Lots of variety type shops for some pretty good out of the norm thingies. As town is well and truly chocked out with shops many are now setting up in the Arts and Industry Estate just out of town. The Cape/Lighthouse area as it is the most easterly point on the Aus' mainland, if you snorkel good spots around the Cape or tour operators to Julian Rocks. Watch out for the White Pointer that has been hanging around for the past few weeks though. Probabaly looking for a good tourist to chomp on. If you stay at Casuarina, the Crystal Castle is just down the road and is full of crystals, nic naks and touristy stuff, a coffe shop and some spaced out staff. Unfortunately, there is nothing to show for the towns past history of whaling, mining and the Indigenous culture. You can hang out in town and people watch, but that wears very thin. I suppose really there is not a great deal to look at for say a couple of weeks if you like checking out different things all the time.

Not to forget Ballina I suppose, nice coast and river with a few big department stores etc. But don't forget to watch out for the grannys.

We have some really good weekend markets once a month, but there are others around the area on different weekends.

www.byronbay.com has all the general nice tourist stuff to suck all in. Only joking, most of it is probably fair comment.

Lots of silly locals, like me for a good chat. Most are friendly and not anti tourist, although a number of youth have been stirring the local pot lately and the Police have been involved. But just a few morons claiming the town for themselves.

As I said previously, the Tweed/Gold Coast is only 40 minutes away. Surfers paradise another 10-15 minutes past Coolangatta.

Sometimes it is good just to sit back and watch the world go by. Anyway, enough of my jibber, hope this helps. Call again for any more info. See ya Steve.

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:01 AM

Steve, Thanks for your wonderful posts, ever thought of working for Byron Bay tourism? Honesty is so refreshing. I have two kids and three grandchildren living there, hope the teenager ones aren't part of those stirring the pot lately, but you never know - they're not going to tell me. Perhaps I should move down and hang with the grannies of Ballina to keep an eye on them.