Search

New Zealand for wimps???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Zealand for wimps???

Hi all

I have been reading all posts and trip reports. We are planning 4th trip to Oz for next Christmas with family and we'd really love to spend 2 nad half weeks in NZ first.

The thing is - we are not hikers, or bungy jumpers or white water rafters! Just approaching 60 ordinary folks from UK. We like meeting locals, leisurely walking, appreciating scenery, wine and food,etc. We do NOT like spending hours on beach (although we love being by the sea), big cities or shopping.
All the brilliant reports I have read all seem to be about 10 mile hikes and extreme sports - so I am actually reconsidering coming to NZ!! We went to Tassie last time for a week - perhaps better to go back there??

I am sure I will get a lot of flak for this post - but it is respectfully and sincerely meant.

Thanks for any comments, suggestions.
(I have a folder of things to see, places to go, already!)

Sincerely

Masha
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 01:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
You will love NZ. It wouldn't matter whether you go to the North or South Islands, both are beautiful and early December would be a great time to go. There are quite some similarities with Tasmania. Small, friendly, very green, spectacular scenery, easy to drive around. Added to that the Maori culture & history make it a great destination for all ages.

(I'm having a smile at the imagery of the entire populace (4,295,931) and all the visitors frenetically racing around bungey jumping, heli-skiing, white-water rafting and doing 10 mile hikes .

We went 'en caravan' for a family wedding a few years ago & had a fortnight touring around the South Island. 10 of us - youngest 4, oldest 92. The rest of us - 20's to 60's. 1 small car & a 10 seater. We had an absolute ball. None of us hiked, bungeyed etc., but some of us did the jetboat trip from Glenorchy, all of us walked/rambled/moseyed, laughed, ate, drank good wines (and some amazing fruit schnapps) and generally had the best time.

If you already have a list of places to see & things to do - do it! You're already half way there.

I was fascinated by the Albatros colony at Dunedin. It's the only one in the World in a city.

Old Jan 18th, 2009, 01:13 PM

No reason to expect any flak Martha and whilst there is some emphasis on alpine/fjordland grandeur and walks, along with references to extreme sports to I expect cater to the backpacking younger more adventurous types, there is still great general touring and easier walks abounding in NZ and the NI probably does that side of things better than the SI.

You could get yourself lost for more than a week just doing the northland region north of Auckland and they have a twin coasts tour in the central section of northland.

You can do the same by heading up the east coast after Whangerei to take in a heap of headlands and eventually Bay of Islands and then more smaller villages [peel of from main highway SH10 at every opportunity], back on to SH1 for Cape Reinga if not there before. Houhora Heads is a lovely pristine spot to drive into just the 2 KM. from SH1, even if you'll possibly be the only ones there - there in mid-late January one year and just a homestead and all these caravans etc., like in a caravan park but not a soul about - weird!, but beautiful spot.
Up the road at main Cape whistle stop village [name slipped tongue] there's a tavern, a few shops and a motel which also has a lovely old 100yo house in harbourside gardens that doubles as a YHA hostel - likely that you'd have it to yourself or just a couple of touring backpackers - always good for a chat you'll find, and if you like meeting people, hostels are to be recommended - www.bbh.co.nz

Stop at Khaoe Farms just north of Bay of Islands and meet Percy the pet pig and lovely hosts in Cheryl and Tony who will knock you up an Italian Pizza and no doubt be able to find a good red with which to wash it down.

Then on the way back, head through Kaitaia and onto Apihara, southern end of ninety mile beach and a small backtrack for road via Broadwood for Kohukohu on Hokianga Harbour - a beautiful drive and you'll hardly see another vehicle until the ferry across to Rawene - make sure you stay at the historic Masonic Hotel there - might even still be for sale and a steal at conversion rate - http://www.newzealand.com/travel/des...odeid/361.html , and a nice hotel in Kohukohu too, the right side of harbour to go out to massive sand dunes at the Harbour mouth - it should not be too adventurous to flatten a cardboard box and toboggan down a slope.

Following the westcoast down from Hokianga, there's a famous spot with remains of a giant teak tree and a lovely forested camping type reserve a bit further on.
At those type of places and more you'll find gentle emough walks and quite a few tracks which can be a bit steeper taking you to lookouts all around NZ - usually well signposted with special brown coloured tourism signs.

There are some areas where vehicle break ins could be a problem and if hiting a vehicle ask if the remote boot lock has been disabled and a sticker put on the window to deter would be thieves and then keep all your gear in the boot of a car.

So eventually back to SH1 you can do the same thing between Wellsford and Auckland to head back in via SH16 and NW motorway which joins into main SH1 MW at western edge of Auckland CBD and then it can be off to the Coromandel, Bay of Plenty/Rotorua region before taking on East Cape and around to Hawkes Bay and Napier where you'll find another old Masonic Hotel - you might need 2.5 months.

www.doc.govt.nz has reference to a lot of places/info other than longer/more strenuous hikes and
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 01:14 PM

Come on down, Masha. If you liked Tassie, you'll love it here. I'd pass for a whimp (at night, with the light behind me), and I survive here just fine!

Sure, there are lots of options open to those who want to indulge in active or extreme pursuits (unfortunately, some do so unwisely, to their detriment), but there is plenty of leisurely sightseeing, wine tasting, food eating, relaxing and general enjoying to be done ... and then you can start on the really good stuff.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 02:49 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Go, Marsha, you'll be so glad you did.

There are loads of things to do in NZ, and you can have a grand time without doing anything remotely strenuous.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 03:15 PM

Hi M,

There is plenty for you to do without any major exertion. But you may well be surprised just what you CAN do too.

My DH and I did the Franz Josef Glacier hike a couple of years ago and neither of us have any degree of fitness whatsoever but WE DID IT! I was really rapt. Anyway, heaps to do in a really beautiful country.

kiwi rob - How does a kiwi find a sheep in long grass?

<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<

Irresistible!!!!
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 05:38 PM

Now listen here, my fine-feathered friend. Just because kiwis can't fly, there is no need to skite about your high-soaring ability to perve on those in the paddocks below!
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 06:25 PM

Hey Rob,

I've been a secret voyeur for a long time now! Psst don't tell anyone though.

I love hearing from you Rob as I always have a big chuckle after your comic posts! The only reason I put the joke in was to hear what you might have to say I know you have shoulders broad enough to take it!
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 07:05 PM

That's ok, Stormbird. I guess I'm still just a bit sensitive over that unfortunate incident with my niece.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 08:03 PM

Oh yes Rob, your 'niece' I'm afraid I will never get over that one either!!!!
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 11:09 PM

masha1, New Zealand is gorgeous...I've been there twice, and want to go back again. Wonderful things to do without any major hiking at all: Book 2 nights up at Mt. Cook...gorgeous mountain views, if the weather is clear, and you don't have to hike at all...we had gorgeous views from the car all the way up and all the way down. Also, we loved our splurge of doing an overnight on Doubtful Sound...again, no hiking at all, and gorgeous scenery...it was our 25th anniversary and well worth the splurge! If you don't want an overnight you can do Milford Sound for a few hours on a boat...The scenery is breath-taking.

Meanwhile, I've never been to Australia and my husband and I are trying to decide when we can get over to the southwest coast of Australia, one spring...not sure which year... Looks beautiful!
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Wow! What nice, helpful, reassuring lot you Fodorites are!!
Bokhara - yes, I had that image ,too! Albatros colony on list.
Bushranger - thanks for that itinerary. We will definitely look North of Auckland.Thanks for links.
KiwiRob - Tassie was wonderful so NZ must be spectacular (even for wimps!)BTW, we have those sheep jokes in N.Wales, too!
Stormbird-We saw a program about the FJ glacier - it looked a bit difficult! And what about special clothing especially footwear?We will definitely go to see a glacier.
Melissa5 - will definitely check out Mt Cook and we had already decided on an overnight cruise on Doubtful.
As for you visiting Oz - it is the most beautiful place I have ever been (not been to NZ, yet, though!)
Far North Queensland is amazing (GBR) and Tassie was our favourite place ever.

Thanks, all for helpful comments. I have another 10 months to plan for this trip - which I find is half the fun! I will, no doubt, be back with my queries.
Masha (Not Marsha or Martha!)
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 01:15 PM

Sorry about the name mistake Masha.

Regarding the glacier hikes - spouse and I did the Fox Glacier helihike a few years back. We thought it was incredibly tame, more like a slow plodding walk, not the least bit challenging, but very interesting and the views from up top on a clear day were gorgeous and something I'll never forget.

Old Jan 20th, 2009, 01:16 PM

Forgot to mention, jackets were offered and footwear (crampons) was included.
Old Jan 20th, 2009, 06:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Masha,
Here's the link to the Albatross colony: www.albatross.org.nz

Wish I were in NZ today - it's about 35c here on the Northern Beaches of Sydney today ... and I haven't time for a swim
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 04:04 PM

Hi Masha,

We did find the FJ Glacier hike somewhat challenging - but thought it was quite doable for someone with reasonable degree of fitness. Our guide was mindful of the older members of the group. They supplied the crampons.

You could do the heli hike trip though - it might be more in line with your fitness level as Mel has described but perhaps that's all you'll need for the glacier experience.