Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Where to stop between Melbourne and Sydney??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Sarah

Hi,<BR>I am doing a trip up to Sydney over the New Year period from Melbourne and I have 2 nights on the way up and 2 nights on the way back. I have a friend from the UK coming over and I was hoping to show him some of the best sites. Would anyone know of the best places to stop over on the coast or anywhere in between Melbourne and Sydney. We will be driving so we can stop anywhere but we are hoping to camp or find accommodation as cheap as possible.<BR>Any reccommendations would be greatly appreciated!!<BR>Thanks<BR>Sarah.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 04:07 PM
marie

hi there,<BR>2 days doesnt give you much time but I would take the princess highway down(the coastal road) not the Freeway(or Hume highway)you will pass lots of small towns and lovely beaches.Maybe stop at Jervis bay the water is lovely with lovely white sand.<BR>Sorry I wasnt more help.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Sarah

I actually have 2 nights on the way up and another 2 on the way back. Should we do 2 different roads or stick to the coast road both ways.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 07:46 PM
xxxxx

Merimbula - which is on the coast road and not far over the Victorian border is a popular stop for people coming from that direction. Nice, reasonably large seaside town with many motels.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 07:04 PM
maarg

Go via the Hume Freeway and have a look at Canberra on the way. <BR>Use the coastal road for your return trip and stop at Batemans Bay and Merimbula overnight. Great beaches and scenery on this route.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 08:33 PM
Sarah

I've heard that there's not much to see in Canberra. Is that true?? What would you recommed seeing there?

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 02:10 AM
marie

i disagree I love Canberra.It is a planned city so none of the craziness of Sydney or Melbourne(is this good or bad?) but it is a pretty city with great museums.There are also wineries around Canberra and old gold mines to explore.You can also stop in Berry or Berrima on your way to Sydney(or from Sydney) they are very pretty towns with lovely cafes!

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 03:08 PM
Prue

Sarah,<BR>If you did decide to visit Canberra among the sights to see would be the<BR>Australian War Memorial,also Parliament House,the Art Gallery and Science Museum. If you do a search on this forum you will find some earlier posts about Canberra with lots of information.<BR>

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 10:31 PM
David

stay at Bermagui....its beautifull