winter activities

Nov 13th, 2002, 07:44 PM
kekoa

winter activities

Are all the outdoor activities New Zealand is famnous for such as bungee jumping, jet boat,tramping etc. available in June?

Nov 25th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Chritina

Yes...we were in NZ this past August. I know you could still jet boat, paraglide, hang glide, repel, etc...

I highly recommend hang gliding in Queenstown. In the winter you can take off from the ski lift areas which is about 4500ft. Kick butt!!

Nov 25th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Christina

Yes...we were in NZ this past August. I know you could still jet boat, paraglide, hang glide, repel, etc...

I highly recommend hang gliding in Queenstown. In the winter you can take off from the ski lift areas which is about 4500ft. Kick butt!!

Nov 26th, 2002, 12:03 AM
Kerry

Hi Kekoa
There was a time when visitors thought that the whole country closed on Sundays BUT today we are very focused on looking after our visitors all year round.

Remember we are an island and as such our weather is moderated by the sea that surrounds us. Our winter weather comes out of the deep south in the form of fronts that sweep up the country. They generally last about 2 to 3 days with a good week of fine weather between them.

In June you will find that the weather in the south of the South Island is getting colder but places like Queenstown are on the dry side of the South Island so it is largely cold dry days and you will find that with the start of the Winter Festival that all of the tourist activities are in full swing.

In the North Island Bungee jumping, tramping, white water rafting and jet boating a year round activities. In general winter comes later in the North Island with June temperatures often round 12 to 14 degrees C - some crazy souls particpate in mid winter swims on the shortest day of the year.

And if the weather turns foul there are always indoor climbing walls, thermal hot pools bars and cafes.

Regards
Kerry

Nov 30th, 2002, 11:11 PM
David

A great post Kerry...covered evrything. Yes, if you are visiting its fine here for extreme sports all year round

David

Search this Thread