Search

Where to find rock art?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 06:37 PM
angela

Where to find rock art?

Can anyone help us with suggestions for good rock art sites? We've heard that the area around Darwin/Arnhem land is excellent but it will be unbearable hot when we will be in Oz (Oct-Nov).We would greatly appreciate any other suggestions for great rock art to view at this time of year. Many thanks

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 07:40 PM
Alan

Angela, you don't even have to leave Sydney to see rock art! October/November is PERFECT weather around Sydney, especially if you are close to the water, and there is a one-day walk which not only takes in rock art and an aboriginal middern, but goes past some of Sydney's best views and some great beaches, too, and is always within sight of water! What's more, there are no admission fees, and the only cost for the day is public transport, totalling around $AUS 5. Further, it seems hardly any Sydneysiders know about this walk, so you will stroll for miles and see only a handful of people. <BR>In Sydney, go to Wynyard Railway Station and find the bus stands in Carrington St. From Stand C take regular bus 180 (about half-hourly, but go before 9 a.m., as this is a full day's walk.) Ask the driver to let you off at the Sydney side of the Spit Bridge. Across the street from the bus stop is a group of shops... anyone there will direct you to cross the bridge and walk down the track to the foreshores on your right. This is the entrance to one of Sydney's best walks. Take drinks, as there are few shops until you get to Manly beach. It's all signposted, but the rock carvings are a few metres off the path about midway into the walk... right around the time when you'll think it's a good idea to stop for a rest and gaze at the view of the harbour (the aboriginal people knew enough to do their art work where the view, and the sea breeze, is at its very best). <BR>Once you get to Manly, after about four hours of easy walking (a few steps, but our daughters have been doing this walk since they were four years old), you have a choice of transport back to Sydney: a long bus ride, or the terrific Manly Ferry trip (about half-hour, regular departures all day), or the more-expensive hydrofoil which takes only a few minutes (but is not nearly as scenic as the ferry, as you're confined to indoors). Manly is a real tourist trap, but there are some great salt-water swimming pools around the area (you will pass several), so you may want to have an afternoon swim. There's even a nude beach slightly off the track (there will be a sign to warn you). <BR>Bet this turns out to be one of the best days you spend in Sydney... but be warned that November can often see late-afternoon storms. <BR> <BR>The NSW Govt travel centre in Sydney will also tell you how to plan a day trip to Red Hands Cave, in Glenbrook (at the start of the Blue Mountains), which contains other examples of rock art. You can drive most of the way to this cave, and then combine the day with a trip to Euroka Clearing, also in the neighbourhood, and be surrounded by wild kangaroos and cockatoos (and the occasional goanna). This trip is a bit too far to do by public transport, but there are several private companies in the Blue Mountains that run daily trips to this area. Have a great time! <BR>

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 04:15 AM
Alan

Topping this for Leniram.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 12:13 PM
angela

Angela, For Gods sake !!!! if you are serious about rock art, do not take any notice of this idiot. Fancy coming all the way from the US to view rock art and then being sent on a walk to Manly. What a joke. lol<BR>The bradshaws ( great art ) are in Western Australia.<BR>Arnhemland is full of great rock art . Quinkan art is also found in the North West of queensland. And October is as good a time as any to see the art. Ben

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 05:38 AM
Debbie

Hello Angela ([email protected])<BR><BR>I found Alan's information extremely helpful when I visited Sydney. I really think your harsh language (idiot?!) is uncalled for. He is one of the most polite and helpful posters on this forum. Why name call if you disagree with his advice? Why not just provide alternative suggestions in a friendly manner?!<BR><BR>The original poster asked about rock art in areas other than the Top End. Alan provided a suggestion for the Sydney area. What's wrong with that? Most visitors spend at least a couple of days there; why not see the rock art whilst there? Angela@eyebright didn't want to be miserably hot in Kakadu and Alan provided a perfectly reasonable alternative. Western Australia's rock art is option but it's quite a lengthy plane ride from the East Coast and travel time and costs have to be considered. Would NW QLD be unbearably hot and sticky during the time of Angela's trip? <BR><BR>Angela@eyebright--Have a wonderful trip. Australia is a fantastic place,<BR>Debbie<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 06:08 AM
leniram

HEy, guys(debbie and angela @aboriginal). Did u notice that this message was posted 2 years ago? This was only brought up by Alan for me to see.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Debbie

Hello Leniram--<BR>I saw that Alan had topped this but never even looked at the date! Can you see the egg on my face from where you're sitting?<BR><BR>ooooh sorry!<BR>Debbie

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 03:10 AM
Alan

No egg on your face, Deb, and I really appreciated your springing to my defence; I admit I was quite taken aback (more than I should have been; took me by surprise)by the harsh tone of the poster who was so critical of the Sydney rock art (which is far more impressive than you might expect -- however, I am sure that the Western Australia rock art would put ours in the shade in every way except accessibility!) What an over-the-top rebuke that was... but I don't think I would have had the nerve to respond if you hadn't jumped in first. Thanks!

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 04:42 PM
john

The clontarf -manly walk is great...have a beer at the Steyne after. But please do not get your expectations up about aboriginal rock carvings versus hand pantings or &quot;modern works&quot;<BR><BR>The ones on the walk are about as good as it gets...they are just lines carved in the hawkesbury sandstone.