When to go

Apr 1st, 2004, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

When to go

My husband and I have been to Australia once before in May of 1987. I think it was the best vacation we have ever been on. We want to go back and we are not sure when the best time of the year to go. When we were there in May the weather was good but since it was winter - it got dark early. We hope to go for 4 to 6 weeks and to camp.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to what time of the year would be the best.

Thank you.
Apr 1st, 2004, 02:22 PM

Hi, Lindaraem. As with many countries there is no one "best time" to go - it depends where you'll be. As you know, Australia is a very big place and encompasses a wide range of climatic zones. There are threads you can find on this forum that discuss best times for popular destinations like North Queensland and other parts of the country. Do you have a wish-list yet?
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Last time we camped from Cairnes to Sydney. We would like to go to the west coast this time, as well as replicating part of our orginal trip. Planning a trip to Australia is overwhelming - there are so many places to go - and then there is the temptation to try and do to much - like going to New Zealand on the same trip.

Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:50 PM

September is peak wildflower time on the west coast, and pretty good everywhere else (except possibly Tasmania).
Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:57 PM

G'day Linda,
You'll love WA.
In about 30 days you can do a trip from Perth to Darwin as outlined below. To really experience the Best along that route you will however need a 4WD as the best places are NOT along the sealed Hwy..
Your best time would be between late July to early Sept.. There will be wildflowers out by early - mid August, even if not as prolific at late Aug. - early Sept..
The upside is that earlier there will still be more water in the Gorges and coming down the falls.
I'm taking a tour, leaving Perth late in Aug. as follows and you may like to look at a good map to work through it:
Perth > Pinnacle Desert > Kalbarri Nat. Park > Monkey Mia > Steep Point > Carnarvon > Exmouth > Ningaloo > Tom Price > Karijini Nat. Park > Port Hedland > Eighty Mile Beach > Broome > Derby > Fitzroy Crossing > Geigie Gorge > Tunnel Creek > Windjana Gorge > Gibb River Road > Bell Gorge > King Edward River >Mitchell Plateau & Falls > Kununurra > Bungle Bungle > Kununurra > Timber Creek > Katherine > Katherine Gorge > Edith Falls > Pine Creek > Kakadu Nat. Park > Litchfield Nat. Park > Darwin.
Distance approx. 8400 km.
You would be camping for most of this trip as other accommodation is only available at a few places along this route.

Enjoy WA,
Mike.
Apr 5th, 2004, 11:02 PM

Aussie is huge. It all depends on which state you're planning to go. I assume you will be visiting the more popular East Coast. Anyways, I can tell you a bit more about South Australia. In my opinion, I think late Summer, early Autumn is a wonderful time to camp in this region. The days are still long (daylight ends 8.30pm) and the heat has subsided with summy days and cool nights. Check out the Flinders Ranges, the Limestone Coast and of course the Great Ocean Road.
Apr 26th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. I would have answered sooner - but misplaced my password. We are now thinking about going - as several of you suggested - in August/September.
Apr 27th, 2004, 07:38 PM

Aug/Sept is a good choice, especially for the northern half of the country. You might want to save your more southern destinations for later in your trip, i.e., Sept.