australian info please

Old Apr 29th, 2003, 07:20 PM
mlk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
australian info please

Hi Guys, Three of us , parents and a 12 year old have seven days to see and experience as much of australia as we can before returning to the states after several months work in sydney. Not really interested in tours with large groups , visiting destinations on the normal tourist routes. We are well travelled looking for a special adventure. We have seen most of Vic and NSW and some of Southern Queensland. We would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks. Mike, Lorry and Karen.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 10:54 PM
ALF

I would fly to Alice, then rent a car for a trip to MacDonnell Ranges (Standley Chasm, Alice Springs Desert Park, Glen Helen Gorge, Ormiston Gorge), Henbury Meteorite Craters, Watarrka National Park (King's Canyon, Lilla aboriginal village), Uluru (Cultural Centre, Mutijulu Walk), and Kata Tjuta (Valley of the Winds).

Alternatively, I would fly into Darwin and rent a car to go to Mary River National Park, Kakadu National Park (Yellow Water Billabong, Mamukala Wetlands, Jabiru Visitor Centre, Jim Jim Falls, Ubirr, Waraddjan Cultural Centre, Nourlangie Rock), Nitmiluk National Park (Katherine River Canyon), Manyallaluk aboriginal village.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 02:11 AM
mlk
Original Poster

Thank you for your contribution Alf.
We would love to do Katherine, Kimberleys and Kakadu as well.
Not sure if we have time.
I have heard the Bungles are also very good. Talked to some people at Kakadu yesterday, apparently the major swimming holes you mentioned like Jim Jim are still closed because of crocodiles left over from the rainy season. We are told there is some amazing country out there.
Sounds like you know it pretty well Alf.
Might have to bring you along as our guide. What do you think !!!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 02:52 AM

Hi, mlk!
The best choice would really depend on what time of year you were planning to travel in.... certainly, that suggestion for the centre would be a great one if your seven days was coming up pretty soon. However, if you're travelling in the heat of late spring or summer, you might be wise to think of Tasmania, or someplace south.

The itinerary suggested by Alf is an ambitious one for seven days.... would it be possible for you to extend your travel to maybe ten daus or a fortnight? There's not much to be gained by rushing from one spot to another, travelling thousands of kilometres in the process, if, as soon as you get there, you feel like you ought to push on. One single destination might be a more fulfilling trip. There is a National Park out west which is not well-visited and is fairly pristine, but the name escapes me at present. If I know what time of year you plan to travel in, I will know whether I should look it up for you.
Hope you enjoyed your months in Sydney!
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 03:41 AM
cu1

hi, we're returning to the states next month after nine months of work/school in melbourne. i agree with the last posting-- instead of rushing around, maybe just spend your seven days in one place. i would suggest tasmania. we were there 10 days in january and would have loved to stayed longer. fly over (don't bother with the ferry), enjoy hobart, enjoy the beautiful parks, the history (port arthur), etc. we traveled for two months around the holidays and tassie was our favorite place. best wishes
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 04:56 AM

Hi mlk , During March our family
(4 of us) did a tour from Sydney to Cairns via lots of the great spots in between. We had 11 days and visited the following. We purchased some great wine in the Hunter Valley, cruikshank wines are sooooo good. Make sure you take some home. Even if you must buy them from a cellar in Sydney.
While in the hunter we also visited a magnificent horse stud. We then spent a coupe of days in the surf with the kids at Port Macquarie
(just beautiful), we stayed at light house beach. I have no idea how long that beach was but we could not see the end of it from our rooms. We had a couple of days out at Ayres Rock , Kings Canyon, the Olgas etc. Visited the hall of fame in longreach spent a couple of days at Hamilton Island where the kids had the time of their lives on Jet Skis. Hamilton is like a family type of Island with lots of activities for young and old alike.
We spent a day hiking through the magnificent rainforests of Hinchinbrook Island.
We then visited Cairns, Port Douglas , Lizard Island and the Daintree Rainforest. We had dinner at a very good little restaurant in Cairns called Barras where the staff were great and the food was delicous. The reef and the beaches at Lizard were breathtaking as was the pristine rainforest in the Daintree National Park. We visited an aboriginal village at Hopevale where we purchased some very unique artwork. All in all we thought it was the best holiday of our lives. What an adventure. A small company in Cairns called daintree air put every thing together for us. During the 11 days we spent only 13 hours travelling in total. If you want the best and are a little short on time it may be worth while contacting them.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 06:59 PM

mlk, this is off the topic but where did you stay for the several months that you were in Sydney?
Old May 1st, 2003, 03:36 AM
mlk
Original Poster

Hi Sue , we lived at Seaforth on the North side. If you are spending any amount of time in Sydney it's a good base. Very central to the beaches like Manly and Narrabeen,although if you are on vacation you would be better in the city.

Thanks for the info Tahne, I talked to daintree air today. Looks as though we will be doing Cairns Broom, stopping off at some of the destinations mentioned by Alf and some places suggested by them as well.

One more question for you Alf if you do not mind.
Have you been up to lawn hill.
The guys at Daintree Air say it's one of the best places to visit in the North, but looking at a map it is situated in the middle of no where.

Thanks again guys. This is a great forum . We really appreciate the help.

Tahne, would you mind sending me an email if you have time. Thanks.
[email protected]

Old May 1st, 2003, 07:12 PM

Hi, again mlk!
Your last post gave me the "clue" I needed: the national park which I couldn't remember (a few posts back) is, in fact, Lawn Hill Gorge. The name may sound a bit like a crematorium, but the area looks magnificent. Check out this website and see if you think it's worth including in your week:
http://tanami.virtualave.net/lawnhill.html
Old May 3rd, 2003, 06:45 PM
mlk
Original Poster

I would never have thought so many people from the US would want info on long term residence in Sydney.

Around 15 have replied to my mail box asking for advice on where to live. Well guys rather than answer you all one at a time,I will attempt do it here.

My accomm and my car were all organised by my company as was the school for my youngster. Sydney is not cheap to live, even by our standards at home. I was lucky enough to be in a very beautiful part of Sydney on the North Side. I know the cost of rents out there are very high. I know people paying out well over $1200.00 a week for a modest house.

If you search North Sydney Real Estate you will come up with many agents whom I am sure will be happy to help with every thing from a house to a hair dresser.

Thanks again Alan and Alf for your help with my original request. Thanks Alan for the web site with the pictures as well.

Daintree Airs web site also has some great shots of that part of Australia. We are really looking forward to our tour across the top of Aust. I will let you know how it goes in a couple of weeks. mlk