What to pack for 3 weeks in NZ?

Jan 17th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

What to pack for 3 weeks in NZ?

We'll be in the South Island from 22 Feb until 13 March. Plan to drive from point to point; but, I want to pack light. What weight clothing will I need? Any suggestions for that time of year? We'll be hiking, biking, boating, etc.
Jan 17th, 2006, 03:20 PM

We just returned from 3 weeks on the south and north island. If you have laundry available take 2 pr capri, 2-3/4 sleeve t-shirts, 2 ss t-shirts, windbreaker/jogging suit, a fleece vest, good walking shoes and sandals and a hat, oh and a swimsuit. We were gone 3 weeks and I took sweaters, a jacket, long pants, dressy shirt. Never took them out of the suitcase. What a waste. I could have packed so much lighter. Everything is pretty casual. My $14.00 fleece vest from Sport Chalet was the best investment I made. I wore it everyday. And if you get cold - wool sweaters are inexpensive and fab.
Jan 17th, 2006, 03:30 PM

Typical hiking attire would be shorts, hat, T shirt, sunscreen & bugspray, but you need warm layers if you are going into the mountains. Lightweight solutions are polypropylene long underwear (actually a good thing to buy in NZ), fleece jacket and Goretex type rainpants and jacket.
Jan 17th, 2006, 04:36 PM

When in NZ I use these items almost every day regardless of the time of year - fleece jacket, hiking boots and waterproof/gortex jacket that layers over the fleece.

Laundromats are everywhere, so it's easy to pack light.

Jan 20th, 2006, 08:18 AM

when we were on south island in march, i found one of my most useful items to be a pair of light, quick drying pants that zip off above the knee and turn into shorts. I got them at either ems, rei or travelsmith, can't remember: plus one long sleeved, spf, quick drying shirt that sleeves rolled up and buttoned, and smart wool socks. Other than that, as fallrats said.
very casual wear. and the fleece and shell/windbreaker - and as one said, so easy to do laundry if you don't have time to rinse and hang in room. windbreaker all you need. but don't forget hat!!
Dec 2nd, 2008, 12:16 PM

New Zealanders are very relaxed and casual about what to wear in almost any circumstances. Very seldom would shorts not be acceptable and "smart casual" fits anywhere.

At that time of year, the weather should be fairly settled, but there is no guarantee of this. A fleece jacket or windbreaker would be advisable. I doubt that you will need any woollen or polypro garments for warmth but, if you do, they are readily available here and our weak $ makes buying here an attractive proposition for overseas visitors just now. Our light Merino Wool garments are great buying and very versatile.

If I was holidaying in another part of NZ at that time of year, I would pack to have available each day a shortsleeved cotton teeshirt, a longsleeved cotton shirt, shorts, one pair of long trousers, a cotton or light wool sweatshirt (jumper, jersey, pullover -- whatever you call it in your country) for warmth in the early morning and evening, a jacket or windbreaker, swimwear and light shoes or sandals as well as walking shoes. And remember, it does rain here. Quite heavily at times!
Dec 2nd, 2008, 03:12 PM

Time machine 2006 > 2008
But clothing hasn't changed too much!!
Dec 2nd, 2008, 07:17 PM

I think I get your drift, Bushranger. Or was that 2/3 of a haiku?

Search this Thread