What to do in northern Queensland

Old Feb 11th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in northern Queensland

My husband and I are going to travel in Australia for three weeks in September. We will be visiting Melbourne, GOR, KI and Adelaide before visiting Queensland. We will be spending 9-10 days in the northern Queensland area. Three nights will be in the Cape Tribulation area, two nights in the Tablelands and four nights in Trinity Beach. We are planning to visit the GBR, take in some tours in Cape Tribulation and Daintree area and self drive the tablelands area. Our main interest is in wildlife viewing. What other activities can we do in this area? Is there anywhere else we should stay besides Trinity Beach area? Thanks.

Sara
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 06:38 PM

I spent 9 days in the Cairns region and did a lot - the wildlife was fantastic!

I highly recommend going out to Undara - quite an experience!
We stayed two nights on the tablelands. We fed wallabies, brush turkeys and birds from the back deck of our B&B and did a nightspotting animal tour. We went with Alan and he does all-day animal spotting tours too.
http://users.qldnet.com.au/~spotlighting/

I have a LOT more detail on what we did, where we stayed in my trip report (do a search for pb&j).
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 09:48 PM

For platypus viewing stay overnight at Yungaburra and see them evening or early morning. (tablelands). Also they have the curtain fig, too cool!

Maybe a trip south to Mission Beach and a ferry over to Dunk Island for a day trip. Totally beautiful. My favourite part of FNQ. Last time we stayed at a B & B that had visiting cassowary family! Just so beautful. Love it, around that area is Babinda Boulders and an old folly house whose name departs me.

Great to have 9-10 dfays, you will not get bored!
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 08:24 AM

Been to NQ on three occassions (most recently 2002), each time for at least a week. No shortage of great places to go, as evidenced by the great suggestions above. I particularly second the one regarding Undarra, not just for the lava tubes, but for wildlife viewing as well. We went there intending to stay just one night, but opted instead to do a full day tour (tours are the the only way to see the tubes) and stay an extra night. Well worth it!

Any possibility of flying into Cairns and out from Townsville? Doing do will allow you to avoid backtracking to Cairns should you choose to go to Mission Beach and Dunk Island. Plus, as you venture south, you can the see the spectacular coastal scenery around Cardwell and Ingham (views of rugged Hinchinbrook Island). And you can do an afternoon trip out to Wallaman Falls...Australia's highest (over 1000 ft). We saw cassowaries and playtypuses close to the falls.

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 08:30 AM

FYI... a link to info about Wallaman Falls...

http://www.wettropics.gov.au/ttd/ttd...trackIndex=187

A top spot! As indicated, the walk is quite strenuous, but it is not necessary for seeing the falls, which are in good view from the car park.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 04:16 PM

Sari80,
If your interest is wildlife you might consider changing one night from the Daintree to the Atherton Tablelands. At Granite Gorge ($5 entry fee) you can get up close and personal with wild but habituated Mareeba Rock Wallabies. Treekangaroos are best seen with a guide from Yungaburra where they reach their greatest density. Musky Ratkangaroos can be seen at Lake Barrine. Undarra is wonderful for a huge range of macropods. The Atherton Tablelands is a hot spot for wildlife. It hold most of the endemics of the Wet Tropics World Heratage Area. 65% of Australia's ferns are found here and the list continues:- butterflies 60%, possums 56%, bats 58% and birds 51%.