Help with 3 days in the Cairns area/Port Douglas/Palm Cove

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be traveling to the Cairns area on the 21st of Dec for 3 days. We will be spending one night at Silky Oaks Lodge in the Daintree Rainforest on the 24th before heading to Lizard Island. We really need help figuring out what to do for the three days from 12/21-12/24. We enjoy active tours so we were wondering what people could suggest. Is it possible to see the Tablelands and wildlife? We don't mind doing things on our own... Also, what hotels do you recommend in any of the three areas mentioned. All suggestions greatly appreciated!!!
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 10:36 PM

Why not rent a car and take yourself to the Tableland - Mareeba Wetlands are alive with birdlife at the moment as it's one of the few places with plenty of water left (we're still in drought in a lot of areas). There's some old quaint country pubs on the Tablelands but nothing in the way of resort hotels. There's a lot of rural and rainforest stays and B&B's - have a look under Tableland at www.bnbnq.com.au
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Janewtravel

We stayed at Radisson Treetops in Port Douglas and found it great.I would definitely got to Bloomfield Falls on one day ( it was spectacular), then Tablelands another day, then the Outer Reef on the third day. That way, you're just about covering everything.
You can travel to the Tablelands yourself, but I suggest you go to Bloomfield Falls with a Tour. We did Tony's Tropical Tours and found them just great.You won't be dissapointed. They also do trips to the Tablelands,I kept their brochure, have a look at their website,www.tropicaltours.com.au

Old Nov 16th, 2003, 07:00 AM

I also suggest that you rent a car for a day. You can see much more than you would on an organized trip, providing you set an itinerary. Your resort staff can give recommendations and provide a map(s). Enjoy the rainforest--that part of OZ is beautiful (but isn't it all beautiful?).
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 10:14 AM

We went last year and stayed at the Boat House in Port Douglas and Trinity "On the Esplanade" at Trinity Beach (both have websites and both looked just like the website pictures). Both were lovely and relatively inexpensive. You might also consider staying more nights at the Silky Oaks Lodge. We didn't stay there but we had dinner there one night and the staff and lodge were wonderful.

As far as activities go, we booked a few tours through the internet and talked to loads of people while in Australia and didn't run into anyone who was disappointed with the tour they took. Now, maybe none of us knew any better but what the heck! I would say, talk to the activities coordinator wherever you end up staying and they will recommend tours/activities. My husband and I did some self guided tours which were fun but I'd say we learned more about the area, flora and fauna and the people from the organized guided tours.

Have fun