Reload this Page >

what to do in Auckalnd airport??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 06:07 AM
anna

we will be flying from kuala lumpur to auckalnd and then taking a flight from there to christchurch - we have about four spare hours to spend at the airport ... any recommended activities/shops/things to do during that time?? <BR> <BR>thank you <BR>anna

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 04:04 AM
Dick

We were in a similar situation...didn't want to take the last flight into Auckland and run the risk of missing our flight back to the States...so we wound up with several hours to kill. <BR> <BR>We notified the airline that we were at the airport, checked our luggage, and hired a car and driver to run us around Auckland for a couple of hours and show us the sight( limited of course) ...killed time,,,and gave us a feel of Auckland.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 06:09 AM
John

anna: <BR>George's idea is a good one. <BR> <BR>The airport does have an observation area with a great view of landing and take offs. That in itself is entertaining if you decide to stay at the airport.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 06:11 AM
John

Sorry. I meant to type Dick.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 03:08 PM
Helma

Check out the free bus from United Airlines that tours the main sights in Auckland. I'm not so sure about being free fare, but the tour is really nice.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 04:47 AM
Paul

The United Explorer Bus is not free. It's NZ$25 per person and stops at all the main tourist spots every hour (more often in the summer). The buses are old, but if you have limited time, it might be worth doing to get a flavor of the city.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 06:07 PM
Deborah

If you only have 4 hours to spare I really don't think that's enough time to see much in Auckland and some were suggesting. I had a similiar situation where I was stuck waiting. I must say if you were to be stuck in any airport in the world for a period, it's definitely nice. I think it has a movie theater if I am not mistaken.

Old May 7th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Val

Four hours is certainly not enough time to consider the on/off bus - firstly you have to get into the City and then back to the airport allowing sufficient time to board your plane. The "theatre" at the airport is airside and shows mainly CNN programmes. If you don't like the channel you can go to the Collection Point and they will change channels for you. There are quite a few shops airside and a couple of cafes and bar. If you are lucky enough to be travelling business or first class there are airline lounges and also a lounge for Diners Club members. I think with just 4 hours you have no option than to stay put at the airport. Have fun.

Old May 8th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Dick

Val,<BR><BR>I agree with you that 4 hours isn't enough time to take an o/off tourist bus.<BR><BR>Since my wife and I did it, I know it's enough time to have private driver give you a quick feel of the area.<BR><BR>We used a car and driver, recommended to us by the airline, to give us a quick (about 2 to 2.5 hours).<BR><BR>Definitely thought it was better than hanging around the airport.<BR><BR>

Old May 8th, 2002, 03:08 PM
aussie@aussie

I don't know whether you have noticed or not but this Post is way out of date - first dated 10/8/01 - so Anna would be long gone from Auckland Airport!