What ever happened to Alby Mangels?

Sep 18th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

What ever happened to Alby Mangels?

Does anyone know what Alby Mangels is up to lately? His shows were hilarious! No matter what kind of trouble he got into, (and he always seemed to be a walking tarin wreck!) he always had his dog and a beautiful girl by his side.
Sep 18th, 2004, 03:39 PM

I thought mangels were for wringing out washing?
A/D
Sep 18th, 2004, 03:56 PM

Alby had a PR problem when it was found a lot of his events were staged.

I think he was charged with cruelty to animals when he threw the dog out of the back of a truck in one stunt.
Sep 19th, 2004, 12:58 PM

I think Alby drifted off into the sunset with a bikini clad girl beside him, I'm not sure which one though!
Sep 20th, 2004, 07:35 AM

How such an "average"(and VERY average-looking!) guy managed to get such good looking girls to "accompany" him on his travels beats me!

He didn't do anything for me at all, personally! He was a little too much on the "sleazy" side.

Believe it or not, Alby now has his own website. (This post intrigued me, so I sought it out- on a link through Google).
It is http://www.macbitz.net.au/safari/

I vaguely remember that his dog was shot, and he seemed to care a lot more about that than the welfare of his female "companion".
I have to say- Alby is the dead fish; whereas Attenborough is the sushi of documentary travel/wildlife program hosts.
Possum
Nov 28th, 2010, 05:41 PM

Alby was never charged with cruelty and it was proven that those allegations were false and came from an angry cameraman who demanded payment from an Australian network for dirt on Alby and then couldn't deliver.

He is currently working in Micronesia building dwellings for underpriveleged families. You can find out more on his website at http://www.albymangels.net.
Nov 28th, 2010, 05:45 PM

Gosh if I recall the 'bikini clad girl' was badly injured during that adventure - maybe a car accident on the road with him perhaps? Her name was someone Green I think and she used to be one of the models on the Sale of the Century show, I think!

I'm pretty sure someone did a story on her and the accident a few years ago - my memory is shocking so can't really come up with exactly when but perhaps Sixty Minutes? Anyone else recall that?
Nov 28th, 2010, 05:53 PM

JOHN!!!!!!!! where have you been and why are you "supposedly" in Miami? You are well and truely off my Xmas card list if you don't write to me. Liz
Nov 28th, 2010, 06:48 PM

This is an old post Liz, that was revived by "Hammerdown" - so not sure where John is now!
Nov 28th, 2010, 06:57 PM

I only responded because I'm sure that story on the girl was not that long ago. (Though lord only knows that times flies so it could have been longer than I recollect)
Nov 28th, 2010, 11:14 PM

Hi Stormbird, I didn't think to look at the date. John is in Houston, or was, when I was cruising with Brenda ( ex wife) at the begginning of this year. I like them both and am friends with both but I think John feels funny with mutual friends... wish he wasn't 'cause he is a great guy!
Dec 23rd, 2010, 09:17 PM

Alby Mangels was only in the OZ press the other day - I thought they said he lived in Thailand but was on his way back to Oz to participate in some event. Yes one of his girlfriends was injured and has never fully recovered - think there was a story on 60 minutes.
Dec 26th, 2010, 01:59 PM

In the 70's Alby used to live next door to my husband's uncle in remote bushland in NSW. One day he asked to borrow Uncle Peter's donkey, Peppi - when he brought him back he said "Peppi doesn't like water!" ... in one of the World Safari movies (we haven't seen it) there's supposedly a donkey swimming a river in Brazil ... well, that's Peppi in NSW!!!