Uggs in NZ at the end of their summer?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're comfortable and light... Good idea/bad idea?
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 08:39 AM

Like coals to Newcastle.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 01:16 PM

Dunno where you are from but just thought that I would add ( seeing there has been a long legal battle between Australia and USA about Uggs - and by the way - we won! ) that Australia and New Zealand have been making Ugg Boots for about 150 years now and there is nothing anywhere in the world to beat the Aust/NZ made item ( unless you think that Decker USA Ugg's made in China are better.
Wait to see what the weather is like in NZ when you get there and perhaps you can buy a real pair of genuine Ugg boots there if you need to.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 01:46 PM

I love my uggs (from the Blue Mountains in Australia) but I would not recommend them for traveling through NZ. Bring something waterproof!!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 02:57 PM

T&L, all you need to do is spray your Uggs with something like Scotch-gard, if you don't have that brand in the US you will have something like it. I did this years ago when I went to Canada and found that I could jump in piles of snow and ice with them on and they were wonderful. I am surprised that no-one has come up with water-proofed Uggs yet. For travel in cold areas they are the best, so comfortable and warm. When they get a bit loose then you just buy a sheepskin insole for them.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 03:11 PM

I could use one of those sheepskin insoles--my uggs are getting pretty loose. I think Scotchguard was actually developed at 3M, 5 miles down the road from me here in St. Paul, Minnesota. Now it's causing lots of problems for the environment, but that's another issue for another day.
I still would prefer rubber boots in the downpours we experienced in Fiordland and the Otago Peninsula.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Liz, you've got me reading about this legal battle instead of getting ready for the trip. Seriously, thank you. I get it. I will look over there to buy a real pair, if not to wear then, to take home.

Rubber boots? What month were you (Tim and Liz) in NZ? Am trying to figure out which shoes to bring.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:15 AM

Clematis, the weather has absolutely gone daft of late and it would not matter what month you go, anything could happen. Tim and Liz are correct I guess in that it would be better to have something that is waterproof. Right at the moment here in S.E. Queensland we are in need of flippers!
In the olden days we used to burn the shoe polish to make it water resistant before putting it on the leather shoes. I am not sure if this really did anything for the shoes or not but we still kept on doing it. I wonder if that is why the ozone layer is in trouble?
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:04 AM

NZ-Lightweight waterproof hiking shoes (mine are Northface). I also like trail runner shoes, the ones that are mostly fabric, as they dry fairly quickly.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:40 AM

I wouldn't have packed rubber boots, but I would have been glad to have them. Just bring waterproof shoes. It can be jaw-droppingly gorgeous one minute and a total downpour like you've never seen the next. For example, they get twice as much rainfall in Fiordland as they do in the Amazon rainforest.
My Nike running shoes were so soaked and full of sheep "stuff" after one wet tromp on the Otago Peninsula that I threw them in the garbage. (We were off to Fiji the next day anyway.)
You will have a great time!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:55 PM

OH a pair of Uggs right now would be perfect (i'm in QLD)