traveling to Australia, Brisbane early in 2010

Old May 5th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

traveling to Australia, Brisbane early in 2010

My husband and I are planning to visit our son in Australia, Brisbane in the first months of 2010. We are a canadian mature couple looking for a temporary accommodation in Brisbane. We would like to have information on renting a room with a right to have or use the kitchen and a bath. It could also be a self contained apartment. A low budget information would be more beneficial to us. Could any one help us ? We are very appreciative of any kind of help that you could give us. Your ideas and suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Rozy
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:06 PM

Hi Rozy,

Do you actually need to be in any particular area of Brisbane and how long will you need the accommodation for?
Let us know and we can help you further.
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:42 PM

Rozy,
If you're looking to keep costs down you could consider travellers hostels, there being some smaller ones about in various areas of Brisbane and some have private rooms/ensuites and usually have reasonable lounge type rooms, reading areas and kitchens.

One I used was in an older Queenslander style house and so relatively few people and not at all the party type of place that larger ones attracting mainly younger people can be. Unfortunately or fortunately [it was getting older and needed a kitchen makeover] I think that one is now closed.

But check out www.bugaustralia.com and actually the one I was thinking of is still listed - http://www.bug.co.uk/reviews/hostels...betrekkers.htm but do not remember a pool there.
Anyway, you'll see that it gets a high rating as do a couple of others in Petrie St., other side of town near Transport Centre.

The Globe trekkers had car parking space at rear if you were thinking of hiring a car and also when walking down nearby Brunswick Street [Main street from Fortitude Valley, otherwise known as "The Valley" in Brisbane] a while back I remember seeing a poster on the side of a bus shelter that was advertising backpacker apartments - can't remember any details but if you were planning on basing yourself in Brisbane for a more than a month, you could always book somewhere for just a few days to chance getting such an apartment or at least having a look, but then you'll risk not being able to get a longer term booking at a hostel.

Brisbane can be awful humid in earlier months so see if you can get a room that has airconditioning and a pool would be nice.

I'll have a bit of an online look and see if I can see something on the apartments.
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:09 PM

Balhouse Apartments at top of http://www.about-australia.com/trave...on/backpacker/ might be the type of thing.

Then again, you could always be a beachcomber in a Bribie Island Beach Hut, have a car or catch bus to Caboolture for reasonably quick train trips into Brisbane.

Even if you do cannot get something with a pool, there's a huge one at Southbank, just a walk across the river from northern CBD side.

And wherever you look into, if staying for a month, ask about a longer term rate - some places will offer seven days for price of six etc.

Bonepartes on http://www.alphacarhire.com.au/page.asp?pageid=26 looks good but ought to be given price.
Old May 6th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Hi snowbird: Thanks so much for your kind reply. My son is in Queensland University, studying there, but he may be moving to a different residence/apartment more affordable than what he's paying at the moment. For example he's paying in rent Australian dollars 185/week. It has a kitchen, furniture, appliances, bed. He tells me that approx around Nov. he may be able to know the area he'll move if he has to. This is the thing.

Many thanks,

Rozy
Old May 6th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

sorry stormbird it is NOT snowbird as I wrote it down, not much difference eh?
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Hi Bushranger: thanks so much for your reply and info. We are thinking to be in Australia for 6 to 8 weeks and in the area of Queensland most probably since my son is going to Queensland University.

Thanks!

Rozy