Adelaide

Old Jan 18th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adelaide

Can anyone recommend an apt style accomodation for family of 4, preferably with laundry in Adelaide??
Particularly in walking area and not too too noisy??
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 03:58 AM

I lived in Adelaide for a few years and I think North Adelaide will be great location for you and your family.

There is a very good website called www.wotif.com.au that offers discounted room rates.

The Majestic Old Lion in Jerningham St, which is just off Melbourne Rd, is a great location. The Old Lion does good food. Melbourne Street is full of cafes and shops. It's also walking distance to the city centre, the zoo, the Torrens River, and to O'Connell St in North Adelaide which has plenty of cafes and shops too.

North Adelaide is surrounded by parklands, and is one of the nicest areas in Adelaide with beautiful period architecture and sandstone homes.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 07:08 AM

I don't know your budget but The Medina Grand Treasury was excellent when I stayed .Lovely public areas , highceilings , a full kitchen with big refrigerator oven etc .There was a washing machine and dryer in the bathroom .LCD tv screens ,a balcony and really smart fittings .Supermarket and produce market are opposite. Loved it and using it again in April. Call or email them to see what they can do for you .I am paying A$186 for a studio apartment . Roooms at rear are deathly quiet .Perfect position I think
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 03:40 PM

Regarding the suggestion to use the wotif website

Wotif (and other similar sites) specialize in last minute standby/discount bookings where the check-in date is within a limited number of days (usually 21/28) from date of booking.

You also need to take into account that the accommodation providers use these standby websites to unload their unsold stock (no views/ground floor/road noise/above nighclub etc)

It stands to reason that the guest paying the full tariff is going to be allocated the best suite/apartment whereas the discount guest gets a lower allocation priority.

I am not deliberately trying to paint a bad picture of standby/discount websites... they provide a valuable service and if price is the bottom line and your dates meet their criteria, then go for it.

If not try http://www.austtravel.com.au/adelaide_hotels.htm which includes self catering apartments in the comprehensive range of properties on offer.

Hope this helps....

Old Jan 20th, 2008, 01:26 AM

In addition to Wotif, I have often used Travel Mall Australia. You might want to check it out:
http://www.australia.travelmall.com/...laide-122.html
They post a range of accommodations from self catering suites/apartments to motels and hotels.
Personally, I have always found excellent values through last minute booking sites. Maybe I've just been lucky.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all, don't know how soon in advance to book, considering the kids, may need to consider sooner than later. If anyone should read this reply, that North Adelaide area sounds really nice and maybe a bit quieter. It is fairly close to the CBD am I right, and easy to get around from???
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 08:48 PM

Yes . It is lovely .
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 02:58 AM

While North Adelaide is nice, it is just a bit too far of a walk to the city centre IMHO. That means relying on a bus or cab. There are several large hotels on North Terrace, a brand new property called Miller Apartments just at the Mall end of Hindley Street (www.millerapartments.com.au), the Medina Treasury in King William St, Hilton in Victoria Sq or Majestic Roof Garden in Frome Street - all of which would be closer to the city centre than North Adelaide.

I haven't stayed at any of them (as I live here), so can't offer recommendations.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Speckles, if you read this....or anyone with the knowledge....I am still unsure.
As a city girl myself, I am looking for a place for us to be able to walk, shop and eat with that city feel. North Adelaide sounds quaint to me and seems as if it will give a sense of more than just the tourist CBD. I am also attracted to the CBD though it seems fairly compact and loud, especially with the kids, especially with sleeping??
Since we have a good 6 days, between Adelaide and heading out to KI for a night or two, I am imagining Adelaide is a small quaint city, and we want to feel that. Am I wrong to think that even a cab ride from N.Adelaide to CBD is a quick 5 minutes or is it really way out there and I should focus on keeping us in the center of it all??
Thanks to anyone who can help!!
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:45 PM

It is about a 5 minute cab ride. One of the things I love about Adelaide is its architecture which in terms of its housing in places like North Adelaide is particualrly well preserved .
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:01 PM

I'd go for the Medina Grand Treasury if budget allows and request a rear facing room. Great central position, rather than North Adelaide which other posters note is a bus/taxi ride from the CBD.

Adelaide is a compact city and not overly busy when compared to other major cities in Australia.

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 02:49 AM

John is right, North Adelaide is architecturally very nice and would be far more quaint than the CBD, which is just full of highrise buildings. It is only a 5 minute cab ride. You could walk, but it may take 20 or so minutes and depending where you stay you may have to go uphill to get there. It really depends what you want to do for the 6 days?

The shopping in North Adelaide consists of small shops. All the large shops are in Rundle Mall.

I can't imagine Adelaide is very loud at night. We are considered to be a "big country town" by some states. Hindley Street, Rundle Mall and Rundle Street would be the noisier of the areas, mostly on Friday and Saturday nights. Not sure about North Adelaide, but there are some nightclubs/pubs that could get noisy at times.

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 01:56 PM

Hi Desertchick!!

Where I stayed in Adelaide's CBD it was not loud...do are picturing an Australian version Times Square because it's way more subdued than pretty much any 'city'.

Just my 2 cents.

Your pal,
OWJ
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 02:23 PM

After any years of travelling to dlaide for work where the drill was airport - city - airport I finally , about 5 years ago , had the opportunity to explore further afield in and around the city and discovered all these lovely and iteresting pockets but to do so you really need a car .desertchick what you are interested in doing whilst in Adelaide will ultimately govern where you stay .We know you are hapy to walk but to get to some of the lovely places in Adelaide does need a car in order to save time .I like shoping in Magill Rd and looking at the antique / junk shops / galleries and also The Parade in Norwood to name just two but that is just me as not everyone finds looking at these things fun .Driving to the Adelaide Hills or Barossa Valley or McLaren Vale are all easy .The beaches towards the latter are really lovely .
Lizzy reiterates my view about The Medina and I do agree about rooms at the rear .
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 07:29 PM

Then there's Quest-on-Sturt and its branches -- we stayed there a couple of years ago when we were in town for Wagner's Ring Cycle (!) and the Opera company arranged some special discount rates for those of us traveling a distance. Don't know how the rack-rates stack up but it was very nice with all the things a traveler needs, like the laundry you mention.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 03:48 PM

desertchick, there are very nice apartments on Carrington Street(Saville) and Franklin Street Apartments that would suit your family with kitchens, but i would suggest basing yourselves at beachside Glenelg, an easy 30 tram ride into town with lots of attractions for the children and lots of great eateries and shopping. North Adelaide and the CBD can be a little quiet at night.