Melbourne Apartment - Need advise/comment

Old Feb 21st, 2004, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Melbourne Apartment - Need advise/comment

Hi,

We are planning a trip and since its four of us, an apt would be better and cost saving!
Any comments on these apartment that we found at Wotif/Last Min. Please advise on location ( how near to Tram, to town, and restaurant) so we can decide and remarks that you have to offer.

Thanks

1. Toorak Road Serviced Apartments
238 Toorak Road
South Yarra, VIC 3141

2. Wilshire Heights Serviced Apartments
274a Domain Road
South Yarra, VIC 3141

3. Aston Apartments
40 Powell Street
South Yarra, VIC 3141

Are these places safe to walk around at night, and are they very quiet and any shops around? Sorry so much to ask!

Kit
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 09:07 AM

Hello MarchKit,

Any of these places would be fine, I imagine. Melbourne generally is a safe city. When we lived there from July 1997 to January 2000 it was common for our teenaged children and their school friends to catch the train into the city (meaning downtown) to see a movie on a Saturday night.

South Yarra is just outside of the city (downtown). It's well served by trams on Toorak Road and St. Kilda Road, it has lots of shops and restaurants on Chapel Street and Toorak Road, and yet it also has the tranquility of the beautiful Royal Botanic Gardens and Kings Domain.

Of the streets you've mentioned, Toorak Road would be the busiest. If you're looking for a quieter street, one of the others might be better. But when I did a Googe search for one of your listed apartments (Aston Apartments), just to see an example of what you were looking at, I noticed that the check in office was on Powell Street, but the 2 bedroomed apartments (if that's what you were after) were located nearby on Davis Avenue and Albion Street. So I'm not sure if the office address necessarily is related to the actual location of the apartments. This is something you may want to check, if it matters to you.

Also, in casually looking at the Aston Apartments website, I noticed that there was no provision for cancellations, and I wondered if you were aware of that too.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
South Yarra is an upmarket suburb about 10 mins by tram to the city centre. There are loads of shops and restaurants around, some quite expensive. Toorak Rd and Chapel St are two of the busiest roads, lined with shops etc and full of 'beautiful people'. If you want to check a street map, look at www.whereis.com.au
Not sure why you are keen on South Yarra or if that's all that came up on Wotif, but you could look at Oakford and Quest apartments websites, they have some closer to the city such as Southbank which is a good location, 2 mins to city centre. South Yarra is fine though, just a little out of the way IMO, and reasonably safe at night.
Kay
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 11:01 PM

Just a word of warning. I have booked to stay at Aston Apartments some time ago. On arrival I checked in & was then told I needed to drive to another address as they had many apartment complexs. When we entered this very drap apartment I realised it was about a 1 star set up... when I phoned them & complained they told me to come back to the main office & they would give me an apartment next door which was 3 star just average. I have a feeling the three you have quoted may all be with this group. Make sure you get the standard you pay for.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Hi again,

thanks for the feedback! That's why we are a bit worry how this reasonable priced places will be like and hope those currently staying in Melbourne can share with us!

thanks

Kit
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 07:40 AM

There are plenty of places in Melb. However If you want reasonably priced one place is the Albert heights serviced apartments, albert rd.
5 mins from tram and 15 mins walk from CBD, Clean and good value.
Not a boutique place but perfectly adequate.
We were there in Dec.It was good to use as a base.
Muck
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 02:38 AM

Hi
This is simontufel

South Yarra is just outside of the city (downtown). It's well served by trams on Toorak Road and St. Kilda Road, it has lots of shops and restaurants on Chapel Street and Toorak Road, and yet it also has the tranquility of the beautiful Royal Botanic Gardens and Kings Domain.

Of the streets you've mentioned, Toorak Road would be the busiest. If you're looking for a quieter street, one of the others might be better. But when I did a Googe search for one of your listed apartments (Aston Apartments), just to see an example of what you were looking at, I noticed that the check in office was on Powell Street, but the 2 bedroomed apartments (if that's what you were after) were located nearby on Davis Avenue and Albion Street. So I'm not sure if the office address necessarily is related to the actual location of the apartments. This is something you may want to check, if it matters to you.

------------
simon
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 07:58 PM

Consider St Kilda - depending on what you wanbt to do in the city . Any of the Medina or Quest properties which are at various places in the city and suburbs are usually reliable