Travel to NZ with a dog

Old May 4th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel to NZ with a dog

Hi - We were thinking about travelling to NZ (south Isand) and embarking on a camper van tour. Have any Fodor Australian readers done this with a pet dog (i believe there aren't any quarantine problems into NZ and then back into Australia - is this right?) and is it easy to find camp parks that will allow a pet?
Old May 5th, 2013, 08:15 PM

Hello Daneille,

I take note of NZ laws about dogs.
Dogs legally may not run freely in NZ. When in public they must be on a led at all times - if not then you must be able to control them quickly. If your dog attacks then you a liable to a prison sentence. All poop must be picked up.
Animals products are a major export for New Zealand. As you enter NZ you will be asked if you have been tramping or near a farm - if you have then your shoes will be cleaned. If you do not declare this you could be charged with an offense.

You may not take your dog on farmland due to the restrictions.
No farmer will appreciate your pet dog.
Dogs do move to NZ - but after a strict guarantine time.

We have special laws for FARM DOGS (called working dogs). If you accidently kill a Working Dog then you will be in major trouble. When driving, stop and give way to all Working dogs or stock.

There are people who think their dog is a mini-human. When it goes wrong there are strong anti-dog people. One powerful group is strongly advocating that cats and dogs be banned in NZ - just caged or working animals. This is due to these "pests" killing our rare birds. New Zealand is very strong on looking after endangered birds and animals.
The opposition group who adore all animals is called SPCA. They are extremist the other way.

Nice camps will not allow dogs. Some Parks allow dog access - you need to check the rules for each Park. If the Park has native birds - then the answers will be NO. If children play nearby then your dog will be unwelcome.
Dogs cannot go to near food areas. (seeing eye/hearing dogs are alright).

I don't know who told you NZ had no quarantine for pets. All Island nations are very strong about spreading disases.
You must not enter NZ with undeclared food. No BEE,Fruit, dairy and so forth will be allowed.

Hope this helps.
An OldKiwiGal
Old May 6th, 2013, 12:50 AM

im afraid you will still have to submit your pet to quarantine which can result in behaviour problems as your pet is left alone for sometimes weeks in a cage
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your very long reply to my question and bringing me up to speed on NZ import restrictions Old Kiwi Gal. I think, though, you may find because our equally disease free country we don't have the same quarantine restrictions between our countries as there would be from other countries. I Googled it after I posted this. And funnily enough I was asked whether I had been trudging through any NZ farmland last time I returned to Australia from NZ. I also get a feeling that you may have a "thing" about domestic pets! Anyway we may rethink the caravan parks in favour of pet friendly hotels and B&Bs as I get you point about caravan parks.
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:52 AM
Original Poster

http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/newzealand.cfm
Old May 18th, 2013, 01:03 AM

Hi
To be honest I would dream of taking my beloved dogs with me overseas.It can raise other stress related issues, safe travel, pit stops just to name a few.There are plenty of alternatives as to where to leave your pet while you are away.
You don't mention how long you intend to be away for?
OldKiwiGal gave a very informative view about NZ. Here is what I found from Australia
http://daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/returning