Turtles & Lady Elliott - weather in February

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2011, 11:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would love to visit the turtle conservation centre at Mon Repos and also spend a couple fo days on Lady Elliott Island. We are thinking of being there in late January/early February so we may have some chance of seeing turles both nesting & hatching.

It's quite an expensive exercise, coming from Melbourne for just a few days, so it would be a shame if we can't see or do anything because it's constantly raining or there are tropical storms.

Can anyone who knows that area comment on the likely weather around that time? I understand that no-one can predict the weather for specific days, I'd just like some thoughts on what generally happens around that time of year.
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 02:44 AM

check the data at http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averag...w_039128.shtml rather than rely on opinions.
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Alan.

I know I can look up climate statistics but I was actually hoping for some opinion as well from people who know the area.

By illustration, I know the Vaucluse area in France quite well and I would advise a prospective visitor to be there prior to the end of the second week of October as that seems to be when the weather generally changes. That mid-month change is of course not reliable - the second half of October this year has been quite warm & sunny - and it would not be obvious from the monthly averages, but more often than not, it works as a general guideline.

So, I'm happy to have opinions - won't be relying on them though - but will also take into account the long term data.
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 05:10 PM

My experience of nearby Heron Island is that generally it rains briefly each day in Jan/Feb. I've been about 4 times now in that time period. Cyclones are, of course, a possibility also at this time of year, but the standard is a brief shower or two most days.

The turtles lay and hatch whatever the weather. If it rains in the late afternoon that often speeds up the hatching process as the hatchlings respond to the change in sand temperature--that's the trigger to sprint down to the beach.

The mothers come up in the high tide. On Heron Island they come up all around the island, you certainly couldn't miss them. They take a long time to get from the sea up to where they lay their eggs.
Old Oct 24th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Susan7, we'd love to see turtles nesting &/or hatching and rain doesn't bother us too much, but a cyclone would be a problem!

We'd be going after school holidays finish so I think we can afford to wait and book at reasonably short notice - maybe see how the season shapes up.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Well, just back from our expedition in pursuit of turtles. Here's a quick summary of how we got on.

Despite leaving with a forecast for Bundaberg of "showers, heavy rain, heavy rain, rain tending to showers" we actually managed to do almost everything we wanted without rain impact.

We arrived at Maroochydore airport on Sunday in very heavy rain and were soaked to the skin walking from the plane to the terminal. After drying out a little we picked up our car from Thrifty - very good service - and we soon on our way to Bargara. The rain eased as we drove and had cleared by the time we arrived in Bargara. We stayed at Kacys Motel which was comfortable and reasonable value at $139 pn. The restaurant featured a very long menu which is usually a bad sign but the food was very good.

We had booked at the Mon Repos turtle centre for Monday & Tuesday nights and were able to see hatchlings on the Monday evening and a nesting turtle on the Tuesday so that worked out really well. A great experience.

During the days we had a look around the area - Bundeberg, Elliot Heads, Burnett Heads but there is not a lot to see and do in the area. Bundaberg has the rum distillery but we were not particularly interested in seeing that.

We took the 8:30 am flight to Lady Elliot Island on Wednesday and came back on the 2:00 pm flight the next day. Enjoyed snorkelling - seeing several turtles in the lagoon - and reef & beach walking on LEI. Accomodation on LEI was fairly basic and the place generally had a tired feel; included meals were fine.

We drove to Gympie on Thursday afternoon, stayed at the Shady Rest motel which was okay, and then on to Maroochydore airport for our flight home Friday morning.

Well worth the trip for both the turtle experience and the reef snorkelling.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the update, Greg Y2. Another Australian destination to add to my 'must see' list!
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 01:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks Greg
Glad it worked out well for you - must be a thrill to see the turtle hatching & I imagine the snorkeling is very good near Lady Elliott.
I've not been to LEI yet but friends go every year & love it.
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 02:40 PM

Good news and thanks for reporting back.
Alan
Old Jan 27th, 2012, 09:35 PM

Glad to hear you saw some turtles! I love going to Heron Island during turtle season. They are amazing animals.