Search

Tasmania in Febuary 2008

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tasmania in Febuary 2008

Hi all,

I appreciate that I'm not meant to abuse your assistance in this way, but I'm rubbish at creating a plan, better at refining one!!

We (English-Spanish couple 30s, biologist & ex-biologist) are planning to visit Tassie 5th/6th Feb - 14th/15th Feb. Possibly slightly fewer days.
We'll fly into Hobart from Brisbane.

Basically we want to see animals as a priority and of course Tassie's wonderful scenery.

We normally travel on a budget (we're Rough Guide types) but like the odd meal & bottle of plonk. Normally stay in good hostels, small hotels, cabins and the like. Would consider bringing the tent...

I'm at a loss as to how to structure an itinerary as i just don't know enough about the place.

Any suggestions?

This will be my 3rd trip to Oz. 1st was to Brisbane, Cairns,Reef, Cape Trib, Atherton, Undara (loved) etc where we were lucky enough to see loads. The 2nd was Syd, Adelaide (2nd Test - boo hoo), Flinders, KI, Blue Mnts & Syd. All of which we loved, especially Willpena (& Barossa!) etc

Well, any assistance gratefully received....

Mark.
Old Nov 29th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Hello Mark
Well lets see now - the 14th and 15th Feb are a Thursday and a Friday which means that you could be in Hobart for the Salamanca Markets on the Saturday morning which are certainly worthwhile especially if you wish to get some nice hand made things. If you plan to stay somewhere near or in Hobart then you can do other things as well around that time before setting off on your planned excursions to see animals. Make a plan to stay somewhere in Hobart or the Huon Valley/ Channel area so that you can tour around the valley to say the Air Walk over the forest, the caves at Hastings and all the other little things that are in the valley area such as wineries, weavings studios, ships building ( not big one but hand built boats done in the old fashioned way) lovely scenery, etc etc. Then you will have a chance to go to the markets on the Saturday after which you could set off down to say Port Arthur which is 1.5 hours drive from Hobart. Port Arthur takes a day to see well and it has the remains of Australia's convict past. From there you could drive up the East Coast to St Helens and the Bay of Fires stopping perhaps at Frecinet National Park. From St Helens drive west then to Launceston/Deloraine/ and onto Cradle Mountain stopping at places like the wonderful cheesery and the Raspberry Farm en route. Make Cradle Mountain at least one day and one night then backtrack a bit and get on the road to Strahan where you can take the boat trip down the rivers there. You will need to stay a full day for the boat trip and then a night as its too far from anywhere to drive off after that. There is plenty of accommodation available there if you do a search. From there you would return to Hobart via Queenstown - an interesting place to see especially as it was devastated by mining in the early days and is starting to recover ( a case of what not to do). Follow the road then through Derwent Park to Hamilton where I would suggest staying - at one of the 4 little convict built houses in the middle of the street ( anyone can tell you where to find the owner) and which are self contained and really cute. You can explore Mt Field National Park from here. Then you would drive from Hamilton to Hobart via the Salmon Ponds, Bushy Park and New Norfolk on the upper Derwent River - you can drive on the North side of the river and continue over to
Richmond ( instead of going back into Hobart) when you meet up with the North-South Highway where you can get lovely accommodation before you fly out of Tasmania. Richmond is a lovely little village and just 10 minutes from the airport.
If you do some searches on those places then you can better determine how long you want to stay where and how long you will need in Tasmania. This is a good 8 - 10 days that I have suggested, if not more. You should see plenty of animals, have wonderful Tasmanian food and have peace and quiet in some lovely countryside.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 11:41 PM

Wow... so comprehensive Lizzy! And you mentioned the raspberry farm! Definately worth the visit!! Well Done Im not sure what I can add except good on you Linehamuk for going to Tassie!!! I am from Tas and am now travelling, so many people who go to Oz miss Tassie completely.. you will have a great time!! Not sure what your budget is like but if you feel the need for a beautiful nights acom. you should stay at the Henry Jones.. check it on the net!! If it is too pricey.. then you should go here for breaky!! AMAZING!! Definately spend some time - winding down the Tamar River in Launceston.. some beautiful vineyards. Have a great time!!
Old Dec 6th, 2007, 02:03 PM

Freebirdy07 - Its a bit hard isn't it to work out whether to go to the Ashgrove Cheese farm outlet first before the Raspberry Farm or vice versa, suffice it to say that both are sooooooo yummy. Actually there is a farm not far from there that has a farm house, self contained accommodation but I have lost the details of that. It really fantastic because you get a house with bedding for 4, lounge, dining room, kitchen etc etc on a farm. Next time I am up that way I will get all the details so that others can use that accommodation too. It was very reasonable but comfortable etc. So many places though that are too numerous to mention about Tasmania - just not enough time!
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys.
Actually, along with my parents having enjoyed a few days there many moons ago, the reason for choosing tassie is after reading posts like Lizzy's in the past - particularly in response to folk requesting info on Kangaroo Island!!
Have been convinced that we're not going to have too many days in Tassie at least!

Will work on an itinerary.....more suggestions always welcome. Mark.
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 02:24 PM

I actually knew exactly how to find the note on the accommodation Liz is recommending to you so here it is:

Author: lizF
Date: 08/06/2005, 06:35 pm
continued....
"If you are in Tasmania around Elizabeth Town nor far from Deloraine en route to Sheffield and you want to spend some time in that area and need a base this little cottage is ideal. Its on a farm and very quiet, overlooking farm paddocks, has 2 bedrooms - sleeping 4, lounge, dining, kitchen, bathroom and laundry and with all you need to look after yourself and can be rented by the night or by the week/month etc. It is owned by Jill and Bernard Archer, "The Avenue", Elizabeth Town, Tasmania 7304 or check out the website and get the email address on www.the-avenue.com.au This would be a great place for a week and very comfortable and reasonably priced. "

I have not done this myself although I have been to the cheese and raspberry farm and it is a do not miss!
Oliverandharry
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 04:56 PM

Thank you so much Oliverandharry I needed that address for my next trip up that way. Its a great spot to use as a base when you know it will be quiet and clean.
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 12:59 AM

Wow.. yes how could I forget the Ashgrove cheese farm!!! I think go there before the raspberry farm!! Im not sure if it is still there but there was a beautiful old shed that sold antiques just out of Exton.. I have not been back to Tas for about 5 years... I bought some beautiful stuff from there.. completely impractical if traveling I know but worth a visit if it still exists!! Also... if you are heading to Burnie (not my most favourite location) but.. there is a place called the Creative Paper Mill and they produce hand made paper and other paper products.. well worth a stop if you are passing through and feel like a quick rest. If you are in Launceston for a night.. a really gorgeous walk is from the Cateract Gorge around to Duck Reach. Andif you get to Duck Reach Power station.. look over towards the opposite hill and there will be 4 old blue stone cottages and one big main house. I used to live in number 4!! WOW... it was amazing and I wish I could go back tomorrow!! The walk will take you about an hour
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 01:11 PM

AND then there is the Chocolate factory near the Raspberry Farm and the Cheese factory!
I'll check out that paper factory too Freebirdy, thanks for the info. Will also check out your bluestone cottage one day.