Trying to do the impossible in Tasmania

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm leaving for Australia in 3 weeks, and because I've had so much going on in my life, I'm just now getting down to business and planning my trip. I was wondering if anyone could help me with the Tasmania portion of my trip. I'll probably post separately about other areas too.
We only have 2 days in Tasmania but I want to see what I can. It's my hubby and I going - both of us first time to Tasmania, although I lived in Melbourne for 2 years - 30 years ago! We're flying in to Hobart Oct. 4th early am and flying to Sydney October 6th. I haven't even booked my flights yet either!
From the research I've done, it seems like it might make sense to go to Hobart - spend some time there, try to see Port Arthur. Is their time for both a trip to Mt. Wellington and Treycanet or Bicheno where the penguins are? I'd like to see the wildlife somehow and any other 'must see.' In 2 days, I know I"ll have to pick and choose.

This will be a trip of a lifetime for my husband and I.

Also, any recommendations on hotels, in particular would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance! I'll post a trip report when I get home.

Susan

Old Sep 4th, 2005, 03:12 PM

With only two days I think that all you could really accomplish is a day in Hobart, including a drive up to Mt. Wellington if you wish, and taking one day to go to Port Arthur. Freycinet deserves much longer than a day trip from Hobart so I would skip that.

Having said the above, as you haven't booked flights yet is it worth going to Tassie for only two days? Would it be better to have those 2 days added on to one of your other destinations so you don't need to rush around so much? However, perhaps this will be your only chance to ever get there and so the effort is worthwhile. Only you know the answer to that.
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 04:01 PM

No you won't have too much time but you can do a lot in that time I think.
May I suggest one of the loveliest places I have ever stayed in which is a Heritage Listed Victorian Home in a little place called Ranelagh. The Queen and P.P visited there and the accommodation is second to none.
It is in the Huon Valley which is 30 minutes from Hobart and from there you can "do" say the Tahune Air Walk the caves near the Hartz Mountains and the beautiful drives around that area. If you are lucky like me when I was there a few weeks ago I got to see animals all over the place one night just driving along a country road. Wombats, wallabies, Pottaroos, Billtongs and striped bandicoot - all in a 2 mile drive.
You are close enough to Hobart as well to see things around there and if you are there on a Saturday then the Salamanca Markets are a must. From Hobart a short drive ( 15 minutes or so) is Richmond which is a lovely convict built village with the best ever bakery. Don't miss the Jail there as that is also interesting. I personally would "do" the heritage trail from Richmond to Oatlands, Ross and Campbelltown. I would forego going to Port Arthur as it is a fair way and you can see a lot of that type of thing around the midlands where I have suggested. You don't want to be exhausted but you need to see as much as possible. The drive around the loop from Hobart through the Huon Valley and along the river is beautiful and one of the most scenic drives in Australia. The Web site for the Accommodation I have suggested is www.matildasofranelagh.com.au and the email address for Pam is [email protected] Another nice thing about that area is that there are some really wonderful places to eat with some of the really interesting foods of the area.
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Shandy and LizF!I'm most appreciative of your replies. Looks like Freycanet is out for sure and I just need to decide whether to skip Port Arthur. LizF - you describe exactly the kind of experience I was hoping for. We'll be there Tuesday through Thursday in early October. What will the weather be like?
Most grateful for the help....Susan
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 10:01 PM

Hi Susan
The weather should be lovely then with temps about mid 70s but perhaps cool in the night. Nothing too extreme I would imagine.
I am most probably going to be there myself at that time and I will be staying at Matilda's which is where I suggested.
With regard to Port Arthur I think it is a full day trip there as it takes about 1.5 - 2 hours to get there. That is why I suggested the heritage trail in the midlands because you would get to see a lot more of Tasmania and not just a little bit.
Anyway I hope to see you there and if you happen to be at Matilda's we will pop a bottle of Pam's ( the owner ) own wine which is pretty good.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again LizF for your help. Sounds wonderful! I will set it up. We'll be there the 4th through 6th. Are you recommending we stay at Matildas for both nights?
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 02:35 PM

Hello Spinsker, yes I suggest the both nights because of 1/ don't have to pack and unpack and 2/ the breakfasts are so big that you save on eating for the rest of the day 3/ its quiet so you get a good rest 4/ its extra comfortable so that outweighs the problem of going that little extra distance. I made the mistake last month of staying in Hobart and did not sleep well because of the noise ( I am used to dead quiet at night)
I am going to be there on the 3rd or 4th myself for 4 nights so I will look forward to sharing breakfast with you and I am sure that Pam or the housekeeper will point you in the right direction for any and all of your trips. We may even do a little bit of animal night spotting if you'd like - I'll bring my (flashlight) torch.
All the rooms are very large and comfortable so it really does not matter which one you have. I had the blue room last time and was very happy with that but there is also the Matilda room which has a sun room off it, the Oriental room which is very lovely and two other rooms upstairs which I have not seen but could only be just as nice. The lounge is beautiful and you are able to have a drink at the bar which is on an honour system of payment. Of course the rooms have tea and coffee making facilities and a fridge. Port and chocolates are also provided and you have your own TV in the room if you don't want to sit in the lounge. All furniture is antique and the general feel of the place is wonderful.
I emailed Pam late last night to ask for a reservation but have not heard back yet but expect I will when she has finished the breakfasts this morning.
The only reason that Matilda's was not rated 5 star was because there is not a seperate control for the temperature in each room - there is of course central heating, but I found that opening or shutting the window fixed that. Anyway my email address is [email protected] if you want to email me direct.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 06:48 PM

Better hurry up spinsker, Pams only got the Oriental room left for the time your in Tassie, but that is beautiful anyway.
I am booked in and on a promise of some of her best red wine!
Cheerio
Liz
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

LizF,
I feel bad after all you've posted, but after thinking about it all day my husband and I are thinking about staying in Hobart, so we can be close to things and the night life (different than the animal night life!) and then take the day trips you mentioned, ending up back in the city. We don't mind the noise so much. I haven't booked anything but have been looking at the different options there. The cottages look nice, particularly the one close to the harbour. What do you think (if you're not completely disgusted with me changing my mind).... Thanks again for your help in advance.
Susan
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 08:36 PM

Hi Susan - no problem at all. I am not sure what cottages you are referring to actually. However I did hear a bad report about one B&B in Battery Point recently. If you want good access etc then the Woolstore is great in the apt. suites - I don't know what the hotel rooms are like. Then there are some suites in Salamanca Place which are really nice and also some right on the pier - close to the fish and chip food areas. There are plenty of nice places in Hobart but you may be a bit disappointed in the night life. The population is only about 150K and unless there is something specific on it is not a place you would stay for nightlife.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Hi LizF,

I was thinking of Corindas Cottages although I haven't checked to see if they are booked. I'd rather a B&B feel than a large hotel, but we don't really need a suite. If you have any recommendations along those lines, that would be great (again if you're not sick of my yet!). I looked at the Woolstore and it doesn't seem to have much ambience. Did you mean Salamanca Inn? I couldn't find apts./hotels at Salamance Place. Any B&B's or quaint hotel recommendations or cottages would be wonderful.

As far as nightlife goes, I was thinking of being able to walk down to the water at night and see Salmanaca Market and maybe hit a pub or something - really anything open would work....even a long dinner on the water. We're early 50's - not big drinkers!

Thanks for all your guidance and help. It's invaluable! Susan
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 12:56 PM

The markets in Salamanca are only open on Saturday morning but it is still a nice place to walk around at night.
As for food - I like "Fish Frenzy" which is on the wharf and then as a restaurant there is the "Drunken Pirate" or is it Admiral. I don't know any of the B&Bs down near there (personal experience that is) I have stayed at the Lena which was supposed to be great but was very disappointed because it was hot with no airconditioning or fan and the lights that shine on the hotel lit up the whole room so I could have read a newspaper all night! Food was good but expensive. There are lots of B&Bs around Battery Point which is close to the wharf but this is where others will have to help you I think.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks LizF for all your great advice and for sticking with me!

I can't wait to see Tasmania - it's been a dream of mine for a long time.

Old Sep 7th, 2005, 12:58 AM

Sorry to butt in, but stayed in Hobart two weeks ago (Zero Davey apartments, not recommended) but Drunken Admiral had great range of seafood and Henry Jones Art Hotel also beautiful food -both on harbour. Pub in Salamanca, Irish Murphys, had lots of atmosphere but agree there is not a lot of nightlife in Hobart. Others recommended the Customs House hotel as well for casual but good dining.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks OZgirl for your posting. I just got word that Corrindas Cottage has the gardeners cottage available. Anyone know anything about it??

Thanks!
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 08:53 PM

Just returned from Tasmania. We have been just in March and what a different place it is after rain. So GREEN and lush with many happy cows.

When we arrived we headed straight from the airport to Mt Field National Park and saw Russell Falls and some tall trees. We did not go onto Styx Valley this time but recommend the extension of this trip to tree lovers/greenies.

The next morning we drove to Richmond for breakfast, headed down to Mt Wellington and drove to the top where we had a snow ball fight. We then drove almost all the way back down but instead turned at Ferntree for a drive through the Huon Valley. We went to a winery and a cheesery were we frolicked with baby lambs.

So in one day nature, history and agricultural life!