Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Sydney Walks for Person in a wheelchair?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 03:32 PM
Sara

Hi! We are planning our first trip to Sydney in Feb (7 nights). My husband needs to use a wheelchair with me pushing. We enjoy being able to explore a city and suroundings as much as possible "walking." Great ideas on this forum but not sure if accessible. He can manage a few steps if there is a rail and can only walk very short distances. We hope to use the ferry and bus systems. Can anyone please help us?

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 07:18 PM
Prue

Sara,<BR>I am sure Alan will chime in with many more ideas - but you will certainly be able to explore the Darling Harbour/Rocks areas of Sydney - and from there, Circular Quay into the Botanical Gardens - this is all harbourside walkways and all completely accessible. I was in the Gardens about two weeks ago and they are just wonderful at this time of year - lots of different areas and myriads of different flowers etc. <BR>I would think you would have to enter and leave at the Circular Quay/Opera House entrance to ensure wheelchair compatibility - but someone else may have more ideas on that.<BR>I think you will find that Sydney is reasonably wheelchair friendly - thanks to much work and pressure from the relative bodies - and also because of the Olympic and Para-Olympics.

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 03:11 PM
Alan

Hi, Sara!<BR>Had you asked this question even five years ago, I would have replied very pessimistically, but, thanks to the Olympics and (especially) the Paralympics, things are changing in Sydney, and fast, for travellers (and citizens) with special mobility needs.<BR>Your plan to use ferries is a good one, as it seems to me that all the entrance and exit points are wheelchair-friendly. Most railway stations now have elevators, but you should check first at your point of boarding to ensure that you don't get off at a station where modifications have not been made. All staff at all stations have portable ramps to help you on and off the trains (the only danger here is that many smaller out-of-town stations don't have staff in attendance at off-peak hours.) Most buses also have wheelchair access.<BR>Prue's walking suggestion is an excellent one, and I am sure there are many others... the number is increasing every year. Even my own personal favourite walk, from the Spit Bridge to Manly, while not totally wheelchair-accessible as yet, is currently undergoing modifications to eliminate the few difficult spots (just in time, I say; it gets harder for these old bones every year).<BR>I really think that, for a successful trip, you need expert advice on this subject, so I hope you don't think I am &quot;shirking&quot; if I refer you on to a couple of very useful websites. I would encourage you to contact some of the people listed on these, to make sure you don't have any unpleasant surprises.<BR>The sites are:<BR>www.wheelchairs.sydney.net/access.html<BR>www.au.australia.com/plan_your_trip/special_travel_needs/accessible/Special_Info_STD.aust?L=en&amp;C=AU<BR>www.cityofs ydney.nsw.gov.au/cs_disabled_services.asp<BR>www.geocities.com/Paris/1502/australiajg.htm<BR>Good luck with all of these, and have a great trip! Could I suggest that, when it is all accomplished, you send a travel report to this forum, because this is a question that is going to be asked more and more frequently, and we really should have expert answers at our fingertips. Thanks!<BR>

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 09:12 PM
Sara

Thank you Prue and Alan for responding! <BR><BR>Prue, we both love flowers and gardens of all sorts so we appriciate knowing that we will be able to access. Glad to hear that you had a lovely time.<BR><BR>Alan,thank you for your information and help. I have accessed a few of the internet sites you have recommended and have found them most useful. If, on occasion during your walks about town, you think about us and what may be an accessible walk, please let us know. <BR><BR>I will be sure to send a trip report next year in hopes that it will help and possible encourage other travelers who may have physical challenges. We do so enjoy being able to do as much as possible by &quot;foot/chair.&quot; <BR><BR>Any other recommendations are most welcome.<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>

Old Jul 31st, 2013, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi
i live in Sydney and i am wheelchair disabled. I put together a website that has maps and photos of some of the best wheelchair friendly & scenic walks in Sydney.
Please visit www.sydneybywheelchair.webs.com

Regards, Glenn Kesbah
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 12:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wow! That's a fantastic resource Glenn, thanks so much.
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 08:22 PM
cwn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much!!

I have added it too my file for our trip.