Search

Sydney to Byron Bay Stop

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydney to Byron Bay Stop

Hello,

I'm planning to drive in mid October of this year from Sydney to Byron Bay. I'd like to stop somewhere in between for a night or two. Suggestions would be appreciated!
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 03:50 PM

Depends on what you're looking at wanting to do in stopping Matthew and whether looking for one place for a couple of nights or separate palces one night each, but Port Stephens is an attractive area, huge sand dunes for a bit of fun and great walk on headland and then Tea Gardens/Hawks Nest other side of the harbour is a relaxing peaceful sort of place too.

Further along at Forster/Tuncurry, you could go on a dolphin cruise and further along for a second stop or getting further for the one stop you have Port MacQuarie or Coffs Harbour as two major places or for smaller ones, South West Rocks.

You could even go inland a bit too, say up as far as Port Stephens for first stop and then up through Gloucester to Armidale and down along the Waterfall way to Bellingen for second stop there or not too much further on to Coffs Harbour.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 02:00 PM

Where are you from?
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:31 PM

Port Stephens is a &*!)hole. Would be nice but for town planning and architecture that makes it look like your typical suburban nightmare.

Stay at Blueys Beach. And stay at Blueys Retreat. Great lodging in a great setting with perhaps the best food (Kingfisher Cafe) you will find between Sydnay and Byron - whether for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 08:16 PM

I like Forster too; Port Macquarie is also another possibility.

Lavandula
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 12:15 AM

I'd go for Port Macquarie. It's a bit touristy for us, but nice to go for a 'live it up' kind of break.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 02:46 AM

we stay at southwest rocks at neds horse hotel
cabins - very clean and cosy - at clybucca in kawana lane
cheap -was under a 100 dollars a night
we paid more cos we also had the dogs with us
lady there is extremely hospitable - even served a couple christmas dinner after they arrived late that night
we grab a pizza at southwest rocks after a break at backbeach where the dogs run but trial bay and horseshoe bay are great too

otherwise you could break your journey a bit further up at coffs harbour
we stay at tropic oasis resort - a bunch of houses round a lagoon and pool at korora which is about 3km out of coffs..nice beach there
have a look at sawtell and do the cliffwalk - great views

hope you love byron as much as we do
heading up again in january
one of the nices spots in the world we reckon
i dont like forster
something has happened to forster since they have a few taller buildings
used to be so pretty
prefer halliday and diamond beach
good pie shops if you want a lunch break somewhere!
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 02:47 PM

Another possibility a bit further up the coast, the coastal areas around Kempsey: Hat Head, Crescent Head.
Old Jul 24th, 2009, 05:40 PM

" we stay at southwest rocks at neds horse hotel "
Stayed there once too lanejohann with our two dogs and then about midnight a couple turned up all way from Sydney for adjacent unit and they had one large dog and four smaller Jack Russells all aboard a mini 4WD!

Amazing how they fit them in but better let Matthew know it's not your regular hotel - only the two units when we were there and quite a ways from SWR.

Seems like someon don't like PS!
Old Jul 25th, 2009, 01:30 AM

i am sure there were more than two 'cabins'
we went last year and there were girls arriving with their horses
im pretty certain we were in the middle cabin - duplex it was
very tidy property and i know there are people who break the journey who dont have animals with them
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 03:24 PM

Only stay at Port Macquarie if you're over 5,000 years old. It's a waiting room.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 08:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Obviously it depends on your taste, Matthew, but I'd endorse Susan7's suggestion of Crescent Head; particularly if you like to surf. It's a quiet little town that surges in the Summer months; has a caravan park practically on the beach which looks well established and has cabins. The Tavern has good food at reasonable prices, looks out over the water and, I understand, has been known to serve the odd cool refreshment.

The other place which you might like is Woolgoolga - just North of Coffs Harbour. Another ocean side village,a bit bigger than Crescent Head, it has a Sikh community with a rich heritage in the area, an attractive & interesting temple and Indian Cultural Centre. There are a couple of motels and a caravan park which, from memory, is also close to the water.
If you're interested in art, there is quite a good gallery there, too.
http://www.coastshop.com.au/towns/nsw/Woolgoolga.htm

It's quite a sight as you sweep around the corner and out of the blue, there's a huge white "Taj Mahal" right beside on the road.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 08:05 PM

I vote for Sawtell, just before Coff's Harbour. Small village with a fig lined main street where there are nice cafes, a pub and an art deco type cinema showing quality movies. Beach is very safe and pretty (usually good surf)with a headland and creek estuary on each end.Good for whale and dolphin sightings.Nice casual cafe at the surf club overlooking the beach.National Park too if you have time.I also second the recommendation for Woolgoolga. Headland views are just fantastic.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 08:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Another place that might appeal, Nambucca Heads. Between Port Macquarie & Coffs Harbour and about 5 mins off the highway. There's a caravan park right on the water with attractive looking cabins. Haven't stayed there yet myself, but am planning to do so in a few weeks. Tavern next door with excellent food at reasonable prices, too.
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 02:31 AM

Bringing up three very old threads just to plug your resort is a dumb move, alicemoorey. You've been outed.