Sydney-Tetsuya's - WORTH IT?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, another restaurant question for Sydney! Has anyone eaten here? I've heard it's pricey and hard to get reservations, but is the food really "awesome" and worth the splurge?
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 12:54 PM

The food is "awesome", fascinating, different, and expensive.

It'll be a memorable meal - but only you can decide if it's worth it!
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 02:06 PM
mjs

We reserved last year through the Four Seasons Concierge a few weeks ahead of time and had no problems getting in. The food is interesting, different and some of the 10 or so courses are very good. It is expensive but not terribly so. Nothing like the cost of a dinner at Lucas Carton for example. Do not go if you do not like Japanese food. We thought it was good but overrated.
Old Jun 4th, 2004, 02:46 PM

I wouldn't describe the food as Japanese - perhaps French-Japanese fusion gets closest to it, a succession of small, exquisitely prepared and highly original dishes. I found Tetsuya's memorable and I'm glad I did it, but as I'm neither a gourmet nor rolling in money I can't justify a return bout.
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 07:17 PM

A few friends of mine ate here in April and said it is not worth it. They had heard so many good things about here while at home (California) and made reservations months in advance.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 12:52 AM

When you think about it, paying over $400 for dinner for two is actually pretty obscene and not something to be proud of. Maybe a better idea would be to eat at Harry's Cafe de Wheels and donate the difference to a charity - that sort of money would sustain your average African village for a fair time.

OK, I know there's nothing worse than a convert. My excuse for being there is that it was sprung on me as a reward for surviving 60 years, a fact that the supercilious and unctuous young man who was poncing around playing sommelier that night didn't seem to give due weight to.