Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Sydney: stay in The Rocks or Darling Harbor?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2003, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Sydney for five nights this August, planning to stay in an apartment. At first, I assumed we'd stay in the Rocks area, near the Circular Quay and Opera House. I figured if the fancy hotels are mostly there, that must be the place to be! Now I'm wondering if we'd do better to stay in Darling Harbor near some of the sites we will visit such as the Aquarium, the Maritime Museum, and the Powerhouse Museum. We'll have our four kids with us, ranging in age from 9 to 15. Any thoughts? We're considering the Quay West, the Quay Grand, or the Medina Grand apartments.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 01:31 PM

Both areas have their pros and cons but you can get from one to the other without too much trouble anyway. If you can get one of the apartments which are really lovely then you will be more comfortable I should think and so I would go for the Darling Harbour area. Make sure you get travel passes and that way it won't cost the earth either to go anywhere.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 08:46 PM

I can reccomend the Medina, stayed there last week. Darling Harbour is very close to everything and has heaps of restaurants etc.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 01:59 AM

If u got kids travelling with you, better stay at Darling Harbour becoz of the sites u mentioned. Rocks area, aside from being a souvenir haven,has quite a number of pubs in it .<BR>Medina Grand is by all means recommended.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 05:06 AM

Hi, Miranda!<BR>May I respectfully disagree with the above? For a start, the pubs around the Rocks (I can think of three) are nothing to be concerned about, no matter how sensitive your children; on the other hand, there are some open areas around Darling Harbour that, especially at night, may not appeal to you. In addition, Darling Harbour will be VERY quiet in August (it only really comes to life in school holidays and for Carnivale), whereas the foreshores of Circular Quay (adjacent to the Rocks) are always full of buskers, street acrobats, and the inevitable human statues; also, my kids love the sweet shop where the sweets are made while you watch, and the toy museum... there's always something happening around the Rocks. From there you can catch a ferry to visit Darling Harbour and the three family-type attractions nin that area (the Powerhouse, which is great, the Maritime Museum, and the Aquarium). Darling Harbour is a better place to visit for the day than it is to stay in.<BR>Near Circular Quay you are poised to grab a ferry to the Zoo, to Manly, and to many other places your kids will love.