Sydney Park Hyatt vs Four Seasons

Old Oct 14th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydney Park Hyatt vs Four Seasons

Both hotels sound terrific, the Hyatt is more money as the Four Seasons has a special rate for next year about $250 US. Is the Hyatt worth the extra cost? Are these two hotels too impersonal or should we not worry about it and enjoy the luxury?
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 05:33 PM

Have not stayed at either, however for location, I would choose the Park Hyatt. It is a hotel in of the most spectacular locations, anywhere in the world, imho.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 08:26 PM

Although I have eaten at the restaurants at both hotels I have not stayed in either. I think if it were me I would go for the Four Seasons if they are offerring a special price. I think it is slightly more conveniently positioned and the service there is excellent.If you specify a harbour view room, both places will give you a spectacular one. The Park Hyatt restaurant looks over the harbour and Opera House but the Four Seasons does not have a harbour view from its restaurant. I'd say you will be happy whichever way you go.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 09:33 PM

I have stayed at the Four Seasons when it was called The Regent a few times (believe it is the same place).

I do not know how it has changed. It was a standard 4 star hotel room with quite nice bathroom but if you get a elevated corner room you will get a fabulous view.

Park Hyatt is tucked away and only very small, not like a big concrete structure. Not such a great view as it IS part of the view if you get my drift.

I did do an inspection of the Park Hyatt during construction and would say it would rate higher "star" wise than the four seasons but overall convenience I would say the Regent is a better option.

As far as being personal I would recommend the Park Hyatt, way smaller and more individual attention. I am going back some years but they did not even have a check in counter. Your car pulled up, they greet you and direct you straight to your room.

I prefer apartments myself for luxury as they offer more space. However these are not normally found so close to the Quay though I think there are Quay West apartments?

But for hotels you have found the two best city location wise.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 10:14 PM

Hi Richard,
I've stayed at both (the Four Seasons a couple of years ago when it was the Regent) and as it happens, am having lunch just near the Park Hyatt tomorrow so will have a look at both again. Will let you know how they rate on my "warmth & service" scale
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

I called Four Seasons reservations. The special rate is only valid through this year. For comparison, a standard city view room for Oct 1, 2006, the Park Hyatt would be $347 US and the Four Seasons (including breakfast) would be $342 US. Sounds like the Four Seasons offers packages more than the Hyatt (such as 4th night and the Bed/breakfast special). As soon as we can figure out the best time to visit Sydney and Melboure (Mid-Sept - Mid Dec), I want to book our flights. It's hard to predict rain, but overall, is one month better than another?
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 01:12 PM

November does tend to be wetter in Sydney. It seems to be very heavy rather than frequent rain during that month. Though no guarantees.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 08:40 AM

I stayed at the Four Seasons Sydney a week or so ago on a very good B&B rate (expedia also have good rates for this hotel). The service is excellent and the rooms comfortable and quiet, but the non-suite rooms are small. The location is good. I was able to check in at 8am when I arrived off my transpacific flight. I'd happily stay there again.

Hotels around circular quay that generally get higher recommendations (I've not used any of them) are the Shangri La, Quay Grand Suites and Quay West, and Swissotel. Much cheaper, and nearly as good a location is the Holiday Inn Old Sydney (again, I've not used it).
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 12:19 PM
LN

Well if the rate for a city view for both the Four Seasons and Park Hyatt is about $350 I'd most likely look at getting a price from Quay West. The views from Quay West are spectacular and huby and I got a great rate from their parent site Mirvac.com.

The Park Hyatt is a low-rise hotel in a beautiful location right on the harbor but I would probably want a harborside room there. The Four Seasons is higher up on the hill but (IMHO) would need that view cause that view is fantatic. Check the prices of all of them.