Ana grand harbour or Park Hyatt - Sydney

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 03:32 PM
bistm

Ana grand harbour or Park Hyatt - Sydney

I am getting a executive room with breakfast harbour view in Ana cheaper than a standard guest room opera view in Park Hyatt ? Cannot make up my mind. Is Park Hyatt really good ?

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Alan

Hi, bistm!
The Hyatt is a GREAT location.... it is absolutely at the water's edge, and it looks straight at the Opera House, whereas the ANA is set well back and up a small hill. However, the ANA is a much taller building so the views are likely to be more panoramic; the Hyatt, with it's location-to-die-for, had to build no higher than the surrounding (old) buildings, so it's only about four or five storeys high. Depends, I guess, on how much you are saving, but if there's only a few dollars in it, I'd take the Hyatt, for sure.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 03:59 PM
bistm

actually the total difference is about 700$ US as we are staying for 5 days.
Is ANA closer to the city centre ?

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 04:51 PM
Merriem

Go for the Hyatt. It was a great 10 days we spent there. Perfect location and terrific service.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 10:51 PM
margo

They are both about the same distance from the centre of the city - if you take this as the area of Martin Place and the GPO. If you want centre of the city, stay at the Westin.
Hyatt is a fabulous location - right on water's edge, and near the tourist attractions of the Rocks, Circular Quay. But not cheap.

ANA is up a hill, further away from the Quay and The Rocks - a nice hotel (if you get a non-smoking room). Spectacular views, if harbour view room.

I'd still go with an average room at the Hyatt myself.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 03:08 PM
Alan

Hi, again, Bistm!
The ANA isn't closer to ANYTHING that you will want to see. Like many of the "top" (new)hotels in Sydney, it had to build where it could get space, and a view was considered more important than what was outside or around the hotel. I thought a $US700 difference, however, was pretty steep, as Sydney is such a small, compact city that we are talking about a five-minute walk between the two hotels. Why don't you spend one night only at the Hyatt and the other four saving around a thousand Aussie dollars by experiencing the ANA as well?

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 03:22 PM
bistm

Thanks Alan.I got a city\Harbour view room with breakfast for about the same price I was getting the executive room in Ana. So just the room might be a little smaller.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 04:09 AM
Alan

Have a wonderful trip, bistm!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 05:14 AM
nancyjean

Two years ago, I looked into rates at the majors in Sydney and even though the Park Hyatt was the most expensive for sure, ended up staying there. I am going again next May and will stay again. The location and views are so spectacular that I don't think I could stay anywhere else now! Enjoy

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Liz

I just returned from Sydney and stayed at Quay West, right next to ANA. We had a 2-bedroom harbor view on the 18th floor. The views of the harbor, including both the bridge and the Opera House, were amazing!!! I heard from friends who live outside Sydney that the Park Hyatt has had a lot of complaints lately. I can't see how a low-rise building can compete with a panoramic view of the entire harbor. I'd go with Quay West again in a heartbeat. It was only 2 blocks from the Rocks and 1-2 blocks from major shopping on George and Pitt Streets. We paid $490 Australian for a 2-bedroom Harbor view suite.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Alan

Well, Liz, at the prices they charge I don't think I need to defend the Park Hyatt, but, then again, at those rates you paid, I wouldn't defend Quay West, either, so I guess I can risk it: the Hyatt can compare because that "panoramic view" you enjoyed from the 18th floor of Quay West was, in short, the Harbour Bridge, the Opera House..... and the Park Hyatt! Some people (myself included) would prefer to be PART of the view than just standing back and looking at it (and after the first half-hour of "oohs" and "aahs", what can you do with it?)

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 08:38 AM
bistm

Well I upgraded my room in Park Hyatt from City View to Opera View. So I am really looking forward to it. I also booked the Park Hyatt in Melbourne. Hopefully that will be good too. Alan do you know of a good hotel in Port douglas. I am finding that to be the most difficult decision as there is no clear cut winner.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Alan

I know nothing at all about Port Douglas, bistm, but I know someone who does.... hey, Liz! Are you there?

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 07:23 PM
tom

I think there is one 5* hotel/resort at Port Douglas whose name escapes me now (I remember US prez stayed there). I stayed at the Radisson, across the road, and enjoyed it for what seemed a more casual, tropical feel.

I definitely enjoyed taking one of the smaller scuba/snorkel boats rather than the giant ones, the skipper can pick his destination based on the conditions/tide that day rather than being stuck going to the same anchored base destination. Some people may feel more comfortable with the big boats, though.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 12:05 PM
bistm

Thanks Tom. I think that was the Sheraton. I don't like the rooms they have displayed on theie website.
ABout Radisson is it very far from the Port douglas Village centre. Can we just walk to the main town ?