Sydney Opera-too jet lagged?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2009, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be flying from SFO arriving Sydney 7:15am. Is it crazy to try and see the Opera that same night? We would like to see Cosi fan tutti and that is the last night it is there. The other options playing at the opera while we are in town do not thrill us, but we would like to experience the venue. Last time I flew that far west was 20 years ago so don't remember the jet lag.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 02:48 PM

I sometimes don't even get much jetlag on that flight especially if I have some sleep en route. If you get in at 7.15 you will be able to have a sleep during the day and then you could go to the Opera - after that be assured of sleeping very, very well for about 12 hours. Go for it.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 03:53 PM

Hmmm tough call, sometimes I'm OK coming back to Australia from Europe or the Americas, other times I conk out at 4 pm. If you are just coming from the west coast of the US--that is no prior domestic flight--I think it's worth the risk. That flight is only 14 hours or so non-stop.

One other possibility, the Studio section of the opera house is the cheapest venue (tickets are sometimes as low as $15-20), productions tend to be more experimental. It would be a cheaper venue for a public nap than the opera.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 04:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I think it would be ok. As you're getting in early in the morning, you could have a mid afternoon nap of you were really zonked. I usually find I'm ok the day I arrive home from the US, but feel it the next afternoon.

I'm going to Cosi fan Tutti too - looking forward to it.

(I've been known to a have a little nap at the Opera and almost always at the Symphony ... and I live here
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 04:45 PM

When we go to Australia, we try to stay up all day so as to get used to the change in time. Therefore, we are ready to "conk out" about 8pm. Instead, if you take a nice nap in the afternoon, you should be able to stay up for the performance. It may mean that it takes you an extra day or two to get "on schedule", but it should be worth it.
Old Jul 31st, 2009, 09:12 PM

I think it may help reset your body clock particularly if you get yourself exposed to the sun in the morning, midday and after you have had that afternoon nap. See if exercise rather than coffee can wake you in the afternoon.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 12:35 AM

Different folks, different strokes they say and at 7.15 am it's going to be something like only 1 pm westcoast but if you have not relied on getting some sleep on the plane you'll be dog tired.
I'd tend to try an maximise sleep towards the end of the flight even if it means having an exhausting schedule leading up to departure but still attempting to keep yourself awake in initial hours.

Come 8pm - 10 pm it's going to be like 2am - 4 am westcoast and the body clock could well have you already wanting to have shut down.
Usual theory is to stay up through the day for as long as you can rather than napping which could just delay your adjustment, perhaps even make you feel worse for not being able to sleep here because it's about the time you could be normally getting up.

Hence trying to make the adjustment re hours you sleep on the plane.

I've heard of people deciding on a nap and awaking at midnight and then being up all through the night and that you do not want.

Whatever you do, you'll likely feel very drowsy at the Opera and the eyelids will have a droopy look!, that's unless a nap becomes very extended and if one at all, I'd make it a morning one and hope for an awakening, do the Opera and kick the heels up, slog down a few drinks and make out you're just partying to all hours so as you'll have a fair sleep in next day.
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your recommendations, I have booked two tickets for Cosi the night we get in.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 12:56 AM

Hope you have a wonderful time!