Best way to adjust to 12 hour time difference?

Apr 9th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Best way to adjust to 12 hour time difference?

Leaving Sat from NYC to Perth. Suggestions of when to sleep, eat on plane and when we get there for minimum jet lag? Thanks.
Apr 9th, 2009, 06:27 AM

What time do you leave NYC (local time) and what time do you arrive Australia (local time)? When we have gone to Asia from US it is hard to plan eat, sleep, etc. You leave US mid day and arrive Asia afternoon or early evening. We have found a couple naps on the plane at what would be late afternoon time US time (say 5 pm) and then late night US time (say midnight) are enough to keep us going into the next day. Then when we arrive if it is still afternoon we plan some active time walking outdoors. Or if is evening take a pill and sleep regular local time sleeping hours and then plan outdoor walking time the next morning. We have found it is that daylight outdoor walking time that helps us best adjust to local time.
Apr 9th, 2009, 06:31 AM

As soon as you get on the airplane set your watch with the new time and stay on that schedule. Sleep on the plane when it is nighttime at your destination (we bring eye masks and ear plugs or headphones). During the flight drink lots of water and don't drink any alcohol of caffeine.

When you get off the airplane don't go to your hotel room and sleep. Instead stay up by getting out and walking / sightseeing as long as you can. Try to last until after dinner so that you don't go to bed until that evening (7 p.m. or after).

Carole
Apr 9th, 2009, 07:49 AM

Carole gives about the best theoretical approach and I say theoretical only because it could be difficult to take sleep when you should because of any flight staging and meals etc.

But if you're fling NYC to west coast through the day and then leaving on an eveing flight when it is afternnon here and scheduled for an Aussie east coast 6 am ish arrival, just an evening meal if provided on the transpacific flight and then some movie watching will get you through to close to early evening Aussie eastcoast time but still easrly afternoon on westcoast.

But the eyelids will be sagging as it could be early morning hours NY time and if you nod off for a bit of a sleep and get as much as you can that'll be fine for you'll still have a bit of a day ahead of you depending on flight connections, possibly late morning to near noon by time you get to Perth.

And then as Carole says, stay up all day and as far into evening as you can just so you do not go waking up too early the next morning.
Apr 9th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again all. We leave NYC 6 p.m. to L.A. then leave L.A. to Sydney 11 p.m arriving 6 a.m. Then leave Sydney and arrive Perth noonish Perth time. I am having trouble with all of that changing back and forth deciding exactly when to eat, sleep on plane (and wondering since we fly Oz overnight whether we will even have dinner, maybe a breakfast. Flying United because frankly although I've heard good things about Qantas flights there policies leave a lot to be desired, i.e. we booked internal flights ( Sydney-Cairns, Cairns-Ayers Rock, etc.) and then when the fares went down found we couldn't change. With U.S. airlines you pay a change fee but Qantas told us we could pay the change fee and then still pay the new fare and get no refund if chose not to use a flight ...wouldn't get back the difference on the "sale" fares........What??!! They have these big advertising campaigns on now for flights from U.S. to OZ but once you add on the fees and taxes and "911" fees they're more that our U.S. airlines....we've been online and on the phone with them for hours........and have not been impressed. Virgin Blue seems good but they don't go a lot of the places we plan on. Would love to know what we've been doing wrong even though it's too late for this trip.

Anyway, back to adjusting...........I guess I'll set my watch to Perth time when I get on the plane in L.A. and hope for the best.
Apr 9th, 2009, 03:33 PM

Sunlight is important in the production of melatonin which sets the body clock. The quality of morning, midday and evening sunlight differ. Once you get to your destination take off your shades and get some sun. Get some more sun in the evening even if you have a nap in the afternoon. Get up early the next day or at least do not sleep in. Again get sunlight on your eyes early, midday and late. You can even close your eyes and face directly at the sun but move your eyes around.

On the plane stay well hydrated and eat when you feel like it as much as possible and sleep as much as you are able. By that I do not mean eat as much as possible but do not eat lots if you are not hungry.
Apr 9th, 2009, 04:21 PM

have flown the NY to east coast Oz flight many times. You get dinner as you leave LAX and then breakfast just before you arrive East Coast. The lights will be off in the plane after dinner so it is easier to sleep.
It must be annoying for US residents used to having refunds and exchanges when items come on sale as in cheaper flights, but it is the accepted custom here that you don't get refunds for items that later come on sale. My guess is that US is the exception here. Wish we could do it though.
Apr 9th, 2009, 06:26 PM

Even better actually that you've got a later flight from NY with minimal time in LA for once out of LA you'll be starting to feel dozy I imagine but hold the sleep off a while and I wouldn't dwell too much on what the clock says about when you ought to sleep, and especially not be trying to do it by Perth Time where at 11 PM. it'll be 2 PM and you will make a mess of yourself by attempting to stay awake too long.

Just let yourself nod off when settled down and if you wake too soon before breakfast just try power napping a bit and then same again on plane between Sydney and Perth or if you nod off totally a bit on that flight just enjoy it.

When getting to the hotel in Perth have a shower and a coffee and get out about as we've suggested above and you'll likely feel dozy during the afternoon but maybe some power napping will have you not so bad.

Good later meal, bottle of wine and it'll be sweet dreams.
Apr 9th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, Bushranger you make it all sound like something to actually enjoy, so I'm going to just go with the flow and hope it works out. Poor husband has to hit the ground running the day after we get to Perth, but I will just take it easy and enjoy it.

Only one day left!
Apr 9th, 2009, 11:59 PM

We only flew from San Francisco to Sydney, so we didn't have as long a flight as you will.

But, we found that taking a long walk upon arrival helped us. We didn't have to think--just walk. And it helped us to get the "kinks" out. We did the Spit Bridge to Manly Beach walk in Sydney (10 km)--but you could get the same effect from doing something a bit shorter. For us, the key was to just sort of relax and get our blood circulating. It was a beautiful introduction to Australia! No stress.
Apr 10th, 2009, 03:41 AM

Hi Marsha -

Everyone has a different theory on how to combat jet lag, so I'll add to the confusion by giving you my two cents. I've logged thousands of air miles over the past 10 years and the only thing that works for me is to eat when I'm hungry, sleep when I'm tired and get as much sunshine and excercise as possible. I dress as comfortably as possible for the flights, take a shower at every opportunity enroute, and drink plenty of fluids. I'm a firm believer in listening to one's body...

I'm currently sitting in the Changi Airport on a 10 hour layover between Perth and Zurich. I've been up since 2 am and won't reach my destination for another 18 hours. I'll eat dinner and breakfast on the flight and sleep as much as I can. When we finally reach our destination, I'll probably take a walk to get some fresh air, have a nice dinner and go to bed early.

I hope you have a wonderful time in OZ and that you'll be back here with a trip report!
Apr 10th, 2009, 02:01 PM

Just sleep on the plane and don't overthink it. The best thing about transpacific flights from LA to Sydney is that they leave late at night and arrive early in Sydney so if you sleep a good bit, you'll acclimate fairly well because when you arrive it's morning.

And you may have made the right choice with United -- the food on Qantas is subpar, even for an airline (and I flew biz class to Sydney on both trips).
Apr 11th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

We leave in a few hours! I'm going to follow my body and hope for the best. Thanks to all. Will report back.
Apr 11th, 2009, 09:45 PM

Suggest you don't set your watch to Perth time until after Sydney - or you may miss your connection from Sydney!
Apr 14th, 2009, 06:47 PM

I think you will be extremely jet lagged, but all you can do is grin and bear it. You may be a little early to be able to check straight in to your Perth hotel room, hopefully not.

As another poster has said, get out into the sunshine and just tough it out for the first day. If you are a fan of sleeping tablets, I would recommend one for the first night so that you avoid the 'wide awake at 1am' syndrome. If you don't use sleeping tablets, then fingers crossed. I'm not mad about Bushrangers suggestion of a coffee when you arrive in Perth, for me that would be disastrous. Plan another outdoor day for the first full day in Perth as well.
Apr 16th, 2009, 03:43 PM

I'm bemused by your UA-Qantas comparison, BigRuss. In our experience United's trans-Pacific economy class service and food is much inferior to Qantas', and lest it be thought I'm just supporting the home team I've heard a number of American travellers express the same view. UA's cabin service in particular we found little short of abominable, with FAs' attitudes ranging from tired indifference to snappish. Qantas' friendly and efficient cabin service by comparison was like a breath of fresh air.
Apr 16th, 2009, 04:15 PM

Seems as if we have a new Minister for Everything in BigR Neil, he not too impressed with much at all in Land of Oz - http://www.fodors.com/community/aust...ralis-trip.cfm