Search

Sydney Opera tickets

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Lois

Sydney Opera tickets

We will be in Sydney for a week and a half in Jan. and are interested in tickets for the opera. Will we be able to purchase them once there, or should we order them ahead of time?

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 07:56 AM
marlee

Remember that January is the summer, New Years and vacation time for most of Australians. Be smart, order ahead and you won't be disappointed. Check out the Opera House website. Do some research on the web.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Dick

We bought our tickets before leaving directly from their website.<BR><BR>http://www.soh.nsw.gov.au/

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Lois

Thanks for the responses. I had planned to ask the concierge at our hotel about them, when we arrive for New Years, and get them for when we return from New Zealand toward the end of the month. Would it still be vacation time then, or is it just around the holidays? Also, would a casual skirt for me, and khakis for my husband, be dressed up enough? We want to pack as light as possible, but in NYC, I would definitely dress up more for the opera. <BR><BR>Thanks once again, for any help.<BR>I did try to locate the site to purchase tickets online, but didn't come up with anything looking under Sydney, Austalia opera, anyone know the email address for it?

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 10:31 AM
heidi

Look at the previous message for the Opera House website.<BR><BR>When it is winter time here in the U.S., it is summertime in Australia. Schools are closed for most of the season and people are on vacation.<BR><BR>Unless it is opening night, dress is smart casual.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 11:48 AM
Lois

Thanks to all for your help. I missed the email address at the end of your response, Dick. I checked it out, and I must wait till Nov. to purchase, but I will definitely do that before leaving.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 04:24 PM
Christina

We bought our tickets when we got to Sydney but if it's a popular Opera, like Carmen, you will want to buy early. Especially for the holiday season. <BR><BR>Don't worry about getting the most expensive seats either, unless you are really Opera nuts. We had the second to last row & could see/hear perfectly. <BR><BR>

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 02:49 AM
Debbie

Lois-<BR><BR>Be careful. There was just a news story on mirror sites copying the Opera House site and fleecing people. I live in Sydney. The Opera House website address is www.sydneyoperahouse.com, and there is a "box office" section on it.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 03:02 PM
Matt

You can also buy on-line from the opera company.<BR>www.opera-australia.org.au