What to wear?

Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 06:58 PM
Les
Original Poster

What to wear?

My wife and I will be in Sydney in October, and I've booked tickets for an evening of classical music at the Opera House for her birthday. Experience has taught us that traveling light is better than lugging baggage around (it'll be a 6-week trip), so we're only bringing one small suitcase each (small meaning app. 20" x 14" x 10"). At least, that's what she agrees to NOW - we'll see!
The question is, what is appropriate dress for a night at the opera? I'd hate to use up valuable space for dressy clothes if I don't have to.
Thanks.
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 09:49 PM

You don't have to get dressed to the 9's for the opera. A nice pair of trousers and a shirt (for you and her) will be fine - suits etc are not needed - we tend to be pretty casual here.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 08:15 PM
Les
Original Poster

Thank you, nylbrain.
That was the answer I was hoping for.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 06:01 AM

This is slightly off subject, but, I included a night at the opera on a trip to OZ also. It was Opera, and not the symphony. I've seen the symphony twice and loved it! (casual is fine)
The main reason I've posted is to suggest that you NOT book your night at the opera house early in your trip. I booked the opera the night AFTER I had arrived in Sydney, and could NOT keep my eyes open!!!! Give yourself time to adjust to the time difference (are you from the USA) before trying to do anything special in the evening. Been there done that... and it doesn't work. lol
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:30 PM
Les
Original Poster

Simpson,
Thanks for the response. We will have been in Australia for 12 days by the time we go to the opera house, so jet lag won't be a problem. But I appreciate the info, since it might affect our early days (which includes hopping into a car straight off the plane, and driving to Melbourne). I may cut that first day's drive down to just a couple of hours.
Thanks.