Sydney on New Year's Eve 2011/12

Nov 27th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Sydney on New Year's Eve 2011/12

Hi,
I'll be in sydney on new years eve this year with my wife and another couple. This will be our first time in Australia and likely the only time we will be in Sydney on NYE in our lives.

A couple of questions..
Do darling harbour and Sydney harbour have separate fireworks?
Is it worth it to spend the night in Sydney harbour instead of darling? Its a good bit more expensive.
Any suggestions on places to go? I know we need to book soon!

I've been looking at this website..is it giving good suggestions?
http://www.squidoo.com/new-years-eve...odule132765431

Thanks in advance!
Nov 27th, 2011, 12:24 PM

There are fireworks stations at various points along the harbour. The most spectacular bridge displays are usually oriented east instead of west, so Sydney Harbour usually has the best display (Darling Harbour is west of the bridge). That said I view the fireworks from the inner western suburbs and there's usually a good display. This map shows you the various vantage points:

It's the official Sity of Sydney website for NYE http://www.sydneynewyearseve.com/
Nov 27th, 2011, 01:25 PM

If you can get accommodation in Darling Harbour, I'd take it.

Anything with a harbour view in and around Circular Quay will be stratospherically expensive.

It's an easy walk to Circular Quay and as Susan7 says, there are a number of other good vantage spots. The atmosphere is great - take a blanket & picnic and join the locals. Some vantage spots close mid-late afternoon to avoid overcrowding.

Something you might enjoy is "Midnight in the Oasis" in the Botanic Gardens http://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/new_years_eve_2011

"Soon" in booking accommodation = "yesterday".
Nov 29th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks... So you are pretty much just saying that its just as good to do Darling Harbour and better if you consider the price?

Thanks!
Nov 29th, 2011, 04:40 PM

It's not "Just as good", but you can walk to the Circular Quay area from there - and prices of hotels on the main harbour are unbelievable
Nov 29th, 2011, 09:03 PM

Quite. Exactly as Margo says.

And you may not have a harbour view from your Circular Quay hotel, either. So you may as well save quite a few $$$$ and walk around to the Quay or some other vantage point to see the fireworks.
Dec 5th, 2011, 03:04 PM

My husband and I did the fireworks in Sydney last year. For us too, it was to be a once in a lifetime opportunity. So for us it was important to see the "big" fireworks on the bridge - the smaller fireworks displays simply would not do.
The Official City of Sydney website posted above is the best reference. You'll be able to clearly see your options (and there are MANY).
You don't mention how old you are, and whether you are willing to "rough it" by viewing the fireworks outside, or whether you prefer the luxury (and the price) of an inside vantage point. But even though my husband and I are over 50, we decided to "rough it" and we camped out all day so we would have an amazing view when evening came. It cost us a train ticket, a picnic lunch, and some time, but it was an amazing experience. We met other people from around the world who were also picnic-ing, waiting for the big event. I highly recommend it. We chose to go to Milsons Point (across the harbour), and it was definitely worth it. And it was easy to take the train back over the bridge afterwards.
You will have limited options at this late date for making reservations. People have been booking prime [indoor and outdoor] locations for the last 11 months. If you have the budget, then by all means make a reservation. But if you prefer a cheaper option, consider "roughing it" and choose an outdoor spot which does not require a reservation. The excitement of the crowd is intoxicating!