Sydney-MG Garage Restaurant

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, this will be my last Sydney restaurant post (I promise!!) and I really appreciate all the responses I received back from my other restaurant posts!!! Has anyone eaten at MG GARAGE in Sydney recently? It looks like a fun place! How far would it be from "THE ROCKS" section? Are they open on Mondays? Can you take a subway, or is taxi better?
THANKS AGAIN!
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 03:39 PM

Hi, GailLK!

I've never eaten there, but it has been well-reviewed... and a google search will turn up both some recent reviews and its own website.

It's up in Crown Street, Surry Hills, which is not close to the Rocks (remembering, of course, that Sydney is quite small, so when I say that it's on the other side of Sydney, that's not like saying that it's on the other side of Rome!)... maybe a two to three kilometre walk. Surry Hills is within a ten minute walk of the main railway station in Sydney (Central Railway, also known as Sydney Terminal).... walk east (NOT the Chinatown side) up Foveaux Street for six blocks, and there's Crown Street. Buses going up Oxford Street also cross Crown Street. This is an old part of Sydney, with tiny terrace houses and tinier coffee shops... you'd enjoy the walk, although it is uphill from Central Station.

Hopefully the next poster will be able to be more specific about its location... Crown Street is quite a long road.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Alan. They did mention that it might be best to take taxi since it could be about a 20 minute walk from the train. This is our first time to Sydney, so not that sure about some of the neighborhoods (safety wise). Thanks for the info!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 02:50 PM

Hi GailLK....This restaurant used to be my favourite Sydney restaurant. However the ownership has changed and more importantly the wonderful Greek chef has gone. A chef with good credentials from another state has taken over and I have not experienced his cooking. The restaurant still gets good reviews("really lovely&quotso I guess you will be ok.However, it will be a taxi trip I would think ...too difficult for a first timer via public transport I think. Yes Gail they are open Mondays.www.mggaragesydney.com.au.I am dying to know which restaurants you finally settle on!
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Well, I finally made my decision and I chose the restaurants ARIA, Sean's Panorama, and Tetsuya's (hey, you only live once!). I hope I chose well?
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 02:18 PM

Hi again Gail....I think you have made some good choices. If anything goes wrong with getting in to those places you might also consider my current favourite...QUAY.It is above the overseas terminal at Circular Quay and in my opinion is as close to perfect as you are likely to get in Sydney.Great food, great service and great view.Sorry to confuse you further but this is in case you have any trouble with any of the others (www.quay.com.au).All the best for a terrific holiday!
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Peteralan-Decided to try QUAY. It's getting some great reviews in most travel guides and it's very close to our hotel. Thanks for your feedback...