Sydney Marriott/Renaissance

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydney Marriott/Renaissance

Anybody have some experience with this property? It seems like a great location - at the head of Pitt Street south of the Quay. and I have Marriott points, etc. My room says "opera view," too.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 11:38 AM

Location is great - I've never stayed there - but if you get a room with a view....

Go for it.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 01:09 PM

Hi, dknudesn!
Margo_oz couldn't be more right. The Marriott is nicely placed to have views (not unobstructed, but good) of the Opera House on one side and the Harbour Bridge on the other. It's the hotel I often recommend to people (under its "old" name) when they ask where they should stay to see the fireworks on the Bridge on New Year's Eve. My main quarrel with the Marriott is its price -- but if you have bonus points, then, to quote margo_oz, "go for it".
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 05:07 PM

Three years ago we stayed at the Renaisance for a few days. Really a great hotel, walking distance to the Rocks / Opera House /Port areas. We were on a high floor. Being in the financial district, every morning we could look down and see the army of people in dark business suits heading to the office. If going back, I would stay there again.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 11:18 PM

I have stayed there a couple of times for business and pleasure. Location is great for both. Pitt Street and surrounding areas have some fine bars and restaurants as well.

The hotel has finished or has just about finished refurnishing and upgrading the rooms, so make sure you get one of the new rooms. If the furniture in your room seems tired, asked to be moved to one of the new rooms.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the positive replies. (I had almost expected some comments along the lines of: "Well... it's a Marriott... whadya expect?") marriott.com mentions the renovation, says that it's to be completed at the end of May '03.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 02:38 PM

We were there this past New Years, and loved our stay. I do plan to return, and when I do, this is where I plan to make reservations. I found it a convenient spot to head to the Rocks, the Opera House, up to Queen Victoria Bldg., and even Hyde Park. Catching a ferry couldn't have been more convenient. We had also stayed at the Marriott by Hyde Park, and while our stay there was very pleasant, the Renaissance was a much more convenient location. The Opera House view we had from our room was great.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 07:39 PM

I just called and spoke with this hotel and they said their renovation is behind schedule and won't be finished until June. The health club and some of the floors are not finished yet and they reconmmended we stay at the Sydney Marriott as construction is going on every day from 9-5.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 06:39 AM

I was there during the renovation [end of Jan.] and didn't find it inconvenient. I was out of the hotel during those hours [9-5] anyhow. Perhaps it is possible to divide the time between both Marriott locations. Our stay at the Marriott Hyde Park was excellent, and we enjoyed the view of Hyde Park. It was an easy walk to shopping, and even Darling Harbor [one direction] and the Botanical Gardens in the other. The only thing we didn't get to from there was the Rocks area, which is very close to the Renaissance, and we saved the ferries for our stay at the Renaissance also.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 07:52 PM

We stayed there over New Year's week. Our room on the 15th floor had a fantastic view of the Bridge fireworks. Great location near the Rocks and the ferries. Would definitely stay there again. Great breakfast buffet. The renovation were going on, but we never heard or saw anything.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

bk2ca: Thanks for your info on the renovation delay. We arrive June 28, so maybe I luck out in any case.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 05:48 PM
Bootman4U

Those people who would have said..."It's a Marriott what did you expect...?" probably couldn't, or wouldn't, afford to stay there.