Reload this Page >

Sydney in four days, enough time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 06:18 AM
Dan

Hi there, I've been reading some of the posts about Australia and Sydney in particular. I have to say that my wife and I are excited about our upcoming trip to Sydney in November. Now, my problem is a little different from most of the other posters. <BR>I only have four days in Sydney. Is that enough to do all the things that I've seen listed here on this post and on the net and such? I'm talking about the bridge, the opera house and all the touristy things to do as well as some off the beaten path. The main focus of our trip is to have a relaxing and fun. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Dan Gipson

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 08:48 AM
anthony

I traveled this past May to Australia, spending 4 nts each in Sydney, Cairns and Melbourne on a Quatas sponsered package tour. It was my 1st trip there, and had a wonderful time; however, if I had to do it over again, I would have wanted to spend another nt or two in each city. You didn't say in your post what your timeframes are, so without knowing how long your total trip is, wether you are going to other cities, or whether you are planning a totally independent trip, my advice from a 1st timer would be to have at least 5 FULL days in Sydney.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 12:53 PM
pat

Did the same trip that Anthony did in May also. I wished I had had another day in Sydney, so stay another night if possible. We saw a lot. Got to tour the Kitty Hawk as it was docked at the Sydney Harbour, and think of those boys and where they are now, involved in the war. If you are a reader, read Bill Bryson`s book "In a Sunsburnt Country" He will have you laughing, and you will learn alot. Went to places he had talked about. Climb the Sydney bridge if possible. Of course, I wanted to stay another day in Cairns and Melbourne too!

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 05:54 AM
Dan

Sorry about that. I arrive on Nov. 9th at like 6am or something. And we leave on Nov. 13th in the morning. I know it's a strange time schedule, but I live in Korea (wife is Korean) and we're kinda followong my wife's parents around. Her father recieved a "week" tour package and we're tagging along. They're going to the Gold coast for the first two days and then Sydney. While we're just staying in Sydney. <BR> <BR>We're excitied about the vast variety of food. Are the prices reasonable? Heard some conflicting statements on this board. We're not into fine dining at all. More into pub grub and interesting, flavorful food. Any info is a big help. Thanks in advance. <BR> <BR>Dan and Karen Gipson

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 05:03 PM
Alan

Dan, you're coming at a great time of year, as the weather is really on your side. Sydney is a surprisingly compact city... the suburbs spread north, south and west for thirty kilometres, but just about everything you'd want to see is within walking distance of the city hotels, so you will get a surprising amount done in four days. On the first day, when you're feeling tired after the early-morning arrival, you might try a harbour cruise.... the ferries to Manly leave from Circular Quay every half hour, and it is a pleasant thirty-five minute journey past some of Sydney's nicest spots for a few dollars.... you can get a conducted tour, of course, instead of this commuter ferry, but they cover much of the same ground, so why pay the extra? You would probably enjoy a stroll through the Manly concourse to the ocean beach, and around to Fairy Bower. This trip will take up less than a day, but you will see many of the major sights and get an idea of the layout of the city. Arriving back at Circular Quay, you could catch another ferry which stops at Darling Harbour, near the Aquarium, and stroll through this area to Chinatown, where you will find all sorts of cheap and interesting dishes. Are you staying somewhere central? The Rocks is a good area to consider, as it is right by the ferry wharves, and so much of Sydney can be seen by ferry (The Russell is the best hotel in this area). Otherwise, try to stay near a station (there are several cheap hotels around Sydney Terminal and Town Hall). Darling Harbour has many of our "top" hotels, and it's a nice place to spend half a day, but after that you would spend valuable time getting out of the place to see the things you wanted to see. Anyway, I bet you have a great time! All the best!

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 06:03 AM
Dan

Thanks Alan. Each time I log on and read some of the posts, I get more and more excited. It's a big help to have some Sydneysiders post replies and give that inside view. The harbor tour sounds like it will be the one to do that early (hope the hotel will let us drop our bags off). As far as I know as of now, we're staying at the Landmark Royal Park hotel. I know that it's in King's Cross near the subway station. Aside from that, I don't know too much else about what's close by. We're definately set on seeing the usual stuff. I hear that the bridge tour is pretty cool as well as the aquarium. I, and do emphasize I, want to go and quaff down a few real Aussie brews at a pub. I'm not talking about Foster's either. A great bitter or ale. I know that it will be interesting to find a good pub near the hotel or close walking distance. Anyway, thanks again for your reply Alan and we can't wait to visit. <BR> <BR>Dan and Karen Gipson

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 04:12 PM
Alan

Dan, as long as you're near a subway station, you can't go too far wrong in Sydney. From Kings Cross it is only one stop to Martin Place Station, which is the exit to walk down Macquarie Street past some of Sydney's most historic buildings. If you kept walking, you'd end up at the Opera House. The hotel may be great, but I must tell you that Kings Cross is NOT a good area, and would be about last on my list of places to stay around Sydney... it's a very sleazy area where a lot of drug dealing takes place. The best thing about "The Cross" is that Govinda's Restaurant is three minutes' walk (heading south) from the main junction, and the Jewish Holocaust Museum is another three minutes' walk beyond that. If you can change hotels to another area, though, I'd do it. I wonder what LizF says about this? She's one of the regular writers to this site, and her advice is always very good. Hope she contributes to your forum!

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 09:17 PM
Prue

Dan, <BR>Firstly, I would check re your accomodation at the Parkroyal Landmark Hotel as it is due to close and be remodelled into apartments. However, hopefully for your sake this may not be happening until next year. <BR>Secondly, please do not be disturbed by suggestions that Kings Cross is a dangerous area to stay in. <BR>As stated in earlier posts on this Forum my husband and I are in our 60's and regularly stay in that area - it is as dangerous and seedy as most other cities are these days - but providing you take normal precautions you will be fine. <BR>The Landmark Hotel is a pleasant 3+ Star Hotel and I think you will enjoy <BR>it. It is about a 10 minute walk to the train station, but there is a bus stop with services to the city, right outside.