Search

Sydney Hotel Pool?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydney Hotel Pool?

Any insight as to the best "Outdoor" pool at a hotel in Sydney?
Thanks
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 11:34 PM

can only comment on 3 from personal experience:

1. the york
lovely - nice city views and some trees. easy to kick back here for quite a while http://www.theyorkapartments.com.au/facilities.html

2. swissotel
newer style, but not somewhere I'd hang around for that long
http://sydney.swissotel.com/z969/services_03.html

3. Star City
which has spectacular city views from its oudoor pool. http://www.starcity.com.au/dir013/in...otelFacilities

Two others that look great:
the pool at the park hyatt looks nice from above but unfortunately I've not had the pleasure of deciding for myself. http://sydney.park.hyatt.com/hyatt/h...pool/index.jsp

Same goes for the old sydney holiday inn pool - it's rooftop with great views of Opera House and bridge. have a look at wotif for pictures if the holiday inn site doesn't show.

A couple of others:
Carlton Crest and Saville 2 Bond St.

Don't know if you need it outdoors in your hotel itself, but there are a couple of nice outdoor pools in the city - Andrew Boy Charlton (on the eastern side of the domain) and Victoria Park Pool (near broadway) are two.

for an indoor pool, I've always wanted to see the observatory hotel pool, with it's twinkling sky.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 03:51 AM

I have no idea. But you should know that Sydney has a selection of outdoor pools to die for. You can swim in one almost under the Bridge; you can swim in one next to the ocean (loads) but not in the ocean; you can swim in one and look up and see the SOH and the harbour over your shoulder.

Someone ought to run a tour of Sydney's outdoor public pools - just amazing!!
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 04:21 PM

I agree - our location and sheer number of outdoor pools is amazing, it's such a cultural thing. I was in Darwin with an Irish friend I'd met travelling and we went to the Parap pool and he was amazed - it was the first time he'd swum in an olympic sized (50m) pool (he would have been about 26!). he was also astonished when i told him that nearly every town has a pool (in nsw at least) and most of them are olympic size. I grew up in small town in country NSW and my summer holidays were spent living at the pool - go to the pool in the morning, home for lunch, back to the pool in the afternoon. there wasn't a lot else to do!
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 04:57 PM

both the holiday inn pool and the park hyatt pool must have had the best trick photographers imaginable to appear swimmable. they are both miniscule with tiny decks. the views are nice, but you would spend little time relaxing there.

the pool at the hotel more toward midtown that was once called the rendezvous was very ample and appealing, but too cold when we were there. it may be the swisshotel now, or the novotel? it's right by the theater.

kerikeri
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 07:01 PM

that's great info about holiday inn and park hyatt!

the other sounds like the swissotel. it was heated when i was there, but again, not the nicest place to just chill out.

the york doesn't look that good in the photos, but it is a lot nicer when you are there - I spent quite a bit of time lolling about. their spa is undercover and separate and you can go from one to the other. i think it's the greenery that makes it nice - most of the pools now seem to be very minimalist.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 07:32 PM

The Rendezvous is now called the Clarion Suites Rendezvous Stafford Hotel and it is in "The Rocks" at 75 Harrington St. Ph # (02) 9251-6711. I will be staying there in early October on the recommendation of a few people I know. It seems to be priced well for the location.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 08:30 PM

We enjoyed a 50m public pool in Jabiru (Kakadu). Perfect for john_j if he ever bothers to visit,eh

AndrewDavid
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:38 AM

hi

lancefan- glad you found it useful.

i think you are right about the rendezvous (there are more than one) being the swisshotel, because i know it was not in the rocks. i remember the deck was wood and modern and they had a small modern gym with showers up a level from the lobby, which is, itself, up from the street.

the hotel switched names like 3 times within a few years.

what about the sheraton on the park, do they have a pool?

there are also amazing public natural pools in manly on both the walkway by the ocean and the walkway on the bay (is it called the bay, where the ferries come in?).

and if we are moving north with andrewdavid, the holiday inn darwin had a lovely pool with palms and service. not plush but perfect for a "do nothing" decompression day (but that's a long trip to the opera house!)

kerikeri
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:31 PM

Talking of Kakadon't ....

AD...you must see ten canoes by rolf van heer (he did tracker)

BTW..the north sydney olympic pool (site of the 1938 empire games) is the best public pool on the planet.

Moonriver..if you are in sydney in summer stay at the Vibe at milsons point or get an apartment www.kirribilli.com

and have a morning swim at the north sydney pool each day.Have breakfast at ripples and read the Herald for a quintessential sydney start to the day.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 09:59 PM

Spoken like a true nawshaw type, John!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:04 PM

and AD - I'd second John's recommendation of Ten Canoes - although I hesitate to endorse anything John says!

They also show it in the western suburbs - I saw it at Leichhardt - where - LoveItaly - you can get a bloody good Italian feed as well!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 12:27 AM

Great pool, not outdoor but sensational views at The Intercontinental.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 12:41 AM

Gosh Margo - Ten Canoes is even showing in Cairns, rushed to see it when it first appeared as small audiences here don't encourage lengthy screening runs, but its still on.

Greetings AD - do see the movie - set in Arnhem Land, NT.