Sydney Hotel Advice

Feb 17th, 2006, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Sydney Hotel Advice

Hi,
Would welcome advice please for newbies to Sydney, we need somewhere to stay in December for two, non-tour organised trip people, we like to arrange our own tours, can you suggest any, but most important we need somewhere to stay! I have a mobility problem although not in a wheelchair my walking is very limited. It's a "special" trip for a birthday..
Restaurant advice would also be welcome, not on an endless budget, but just taking the time to spend 7 days in Sydney and surrounds, should we venture further? Will probably be back again.
thanks
Pauline
Feb 18th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Do you mean you like to get about independently by public transport or do some 1 day trips which you will organise once you get here? Certainly you will need to go on the harbour but are you interested in scenery, shopping, museums and art galleries or what particular interests ? With restaurants we can give you some ideas if you can say what sort of things you like, what you are prepared to spend etc. I guess with mobility problems, you would not be wanting parks, botanical gardens etc?
Feb 20th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Hi Peter,
We will be travelling independently, but if you could recommend places we "must see" either for us to arrange independently when we arrive, i.e. by taking taxi or other means of travel, or an agent with a prearranged schedule of tours, that would be great,
what would be interesting for us? We like good food and wine, so maybe a trip to Hunters Valley, or is that too far? don't mind an overnight stay.
What district would be the most convenient for us to stay in Sydney, any idea of hotels? In hOng Kong last year we stayed at the Renaissance Club Kowloon, and then The Excelsior Club on HKI. But 4* is fine.
Foodie wise we like seafood and steaks, and french, and chinese, and japanese, and thai, and most things! Cost wise - again by comparison in HK we ate at the Intercontinental, ToTTs at the Excelsior was v.good, at the Peak, and a couple of other places that Peter and Cicerone recommended. but in Guangzhou, we ate at some amzing local restaurants with some friends (Chinese) of my Son who was teaching in Guangzhou. local noodle house was just fantastic. and we had a guide and car for several days in Yangshuo and one trip we ate on the side of the river with food cooked by a local family.
Mobility wise, we do like Botanical Gardens, Museums, Art Galleries, if necessary (well here in the Uk) I would use a wheelchair which most places have available.
We also like the beach.
Only have seven nights, would there be time to hire a car and travel outside of Sydney, any ideas where?
appreciate any help,
Is Sydney's public transport more user friendly than London? (mobility wise?)
thank you,
Pauline
Feb 20th, 2006, 12:11 PM

Marriott Sydney Harbour - great location!

You are within 1 block of the Sydney Harbour. Trains, busses and public as well as private ferries all meet there. The private ferries are a waste of money IMHO unless you like a dinner/sunset cruises. You will see the same things from the public ferries as long as you don't mind not having a restaurant and some annoying guide during your cruise.

You are also within walking distance to the Sydney Opera and the many restaurants, shops that surround it.

Going slightly in a different direction, you will stumble upon more chic, more local restaurants, as well as some great art galleries.
Going the opposite direction, you will find yourself in city center, although that may be difficult for you as some of the streets are steep uphill.

If you ask nicely at the front desk and they have rooms available, you may score a great room with a wonderful harbour and Sydney bridge view. It may be free or it may cost few extra dollars. I stayed there on a Priceline stay and they offered a beautiful corner room with a magical view for ~$25AUS extra per night.

Two restaurants that I highly recommend - Aqua on the other side of the bridge and Iceberg which was right over the Bondi Beach. Both had wonderful views. Aqua, of the Sydney harbour with the city skyline in the background and Iceberg had a great view of the beach. Both were fantastic. Both require a taxi, although I suppose public transport would work too. I mostly used public transport but when all dressed up and meeting a new found local friend for an evening dinner I chose a taxi. Both places were just fantastic!
Feb 20th, 2006, 09:30 PM

twotravel,I would say a hotel somewhere in the vicinity of Circular Quay would be ideal for you. Marriott is one as suggested. Others such as the Four Seasons or Intercontinental and Park Hyatt might suit. Upmarket restaurants in that general area would be Quay,Est,Rockpool and Aria. You could get ferries from there and I agree with the suggestion to take the ordinary harbour ferries rather than a tour boat. You can decide where you would like to go when you get here. Some suggestions would be Manly, Rose Bay, Watsons Bay. One thing to remember December is peak time so you need to think about booking flights, hotels and main restaurants early. You could have a look at the Art Gallery and across from that the Botanical Gardens.You could take a train to the Blue Mountains for a day trip and do a bus tour around there.A Hunter Valley trip would be a nice idea but I would recommend you stay overnight. You will need to hire a car to get around up there or do a bus tour.You could try Chinese food in Chinatown such Golden Century or for yum cha East Ocean. Seafood would see you at Rockpool or Pier at Rose Bay. Watsons Bay is a nice ferry trip but the world famous Doyles is worth it only for the view ( which you can see without eating there).French would be Claude's or Marque ( expensive but both fabulous ). Both are a taxi ride out of the CBD. Someone suggested Icebergs at Bondi where I live. Yes a another great place...expensive but worth it. Go for lunch or early dinner for lovely beach views.You could go to Bondi Junction by train and get a cab from there. There are lots of buses but they will be crowded. Whether we are more accommodating than London I'm not sure but I'm sure we could do better!
Feb 21st, 2006, 12:17 PM

I think you will find that Sydney (thanks to the Olympics) is relatively user friendly mobility wise - depending on what you are aiming to do of course.
Feb 21st, 2006, 05:22 PM

I had some very good reports recently about the Holiday Inn in the Rocks - Old Sydney?? - not the one at Darling Harbour.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses, very helpful, especially the hotels and restaurants, an insiders opinion is always worth having! Have printed off suggestions and started researching, didn't realise we would have to book popular restaurants so early. Hong Kong was great mobility wise, Star Ferry, a little difficult (all those steps), but the taxis were cheap and there were lots available. Didn't venture on the metro, as not too good in crowds, did one bus journey from the airport to hotel which was fine, but take your point that the buses may be full. Like the suggestion for the train trip to the Blue Mountains, we took the train from HK to Guangzhou, good experience.
thank you for all the help,
Pauline.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 01:34 PM

Pauline, just to clarify, I didn't really mean you would have to book now for restaurants in December but well before you come. Good luck with your planning.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 01:49 PM

Does anyone know where Alan is? Sydney hotels are certainly his area of expertise.

Oops, gotta run, there's the doorbell; probably Alan dropping in for an unannounced visit, eh

cheers
A/D