Sydney Harbour Bridge

Aug 28th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Sydney Harbour Bridge

I am getting mixed signals about the bridge climb. Is it definely a must do? It seems to be pretty expensive and they do not allow you to take any pictures. I overheard someone that recently returned from Sydney and they said they crossed the bridge on their own, took pictures, and did not see the need to do the bridge climb.
Aug 28th, 2004, 03:27 PM

You can walk across the bridge and take all the pictures you like. The 'bridge climb' goes up on top of the bridge superstructure. You cannot carry anything, as if it dropped from that height it could cause serious damage to cars below. Even your mittens and hats are tied on.

The bridge climb was well worth the money for us...a real once in a lifetime event. The guide will take pictures of you up there..I think one was included and the rest can be purchased off the computer afterwards.

Despite my fear of heights, I felt very safe up there. It isn't a hard climb and you have plenty of time to savor the views.

Certainly a must do in my book!
Aug 29th, 2004, 03:57 AM

Hi loves_to_travel,
Yes it is expensive and Yes it is a must do.
I have been to Sydney twice and climbed the bridge twice and when I go again I will probably do it again.
You can walk across the bridge at road level which is ok, but consider the view from the road as compared with the view from the top, there really is no comparison.
I suspect the people you overheard would change their opinion if they had climbed it.
There are pictures taken by the leader and they are for sale but you do get one group photo free.
Safety is key and everyone is breath tested for alchol prior to the climb.
You can book the climb on line, I would suggest pre booking depending upon when you go, you may be dissapointed if you just turn up.

It seems a shame to go all that way and not see arguably one of the greatest views in the world.

Good Luck

Muck

Aug 29th, 2004, 10:35 AM

Hi everyone!

Having climbed the bridge in April I agree with everything said above. However, I am also of the mind that there is nothing that is a must do when travelling.

We were in Paris and didn't see the Louvre, went to China and didn't do the Yangtze River Cruise, and returned from Australia recently and didn't go to Ayers Rock (Uluru).

Why miss them when those are the must do things for many people and tours? Well we just felt we could do without and take in other things more meangingful to us.

Read the Sydney Bridge Climb site on the web thoroughly to know what it's about and wait till you get there before making a reservation. Once there you'll know if you want to do it.
Aug 30th, 2004, 01:39 PM

Sometimes we can caught up doing the "must do" activities at the expense of what we really want to do.

When you fly into Sydney sometimes you get a birds eye view of the harbour depending on the approach path and also some bulidings have great views, plus the walk over the bridge.

If you find yourself asking if you really want to do it then perhaps you are better to spend your money on something else.

But wait and see I would suggest.If the weather is bad the harbour can look pretty ordinary imho. But when the sky is deep blue it is beautiful.
Aug 31st, 2004, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

About how long does it take to climb the bridge if you already have your tickets?
Aug 31st, 2004, 10:43 AM

It is about 3 hours total- You spend about an hour dressing, being breathalysed, and practising with your tether inside, then its about 2 hours (maybe less??) of actual walking on the bridge. Afterwards, we spent another 20 minutes or so buying pictures and gift shop stuff.

I have to admit, I really didn't want to do this climb...I don't like heights and I had problems with too much walking at that time. I just felt it would be a memorable family experience and wanted to be along.

I am so glad I did it though! Worth every penny, and all the time I spent worrying in advance!

And no, there are no MUST-sees in this world. I've gone to many places and visited absolutely nothing in the guide books, yet had a wonderful time (my first trip to Japan I did nothing but shop the flea markets).

But, since a lot of people seem to love this one, you might give it a try- if you have the time and budget for it. The bridge climb is a very unique experience.
Aug 31st, 2004, 01:13 PM

Easily one of the highlights of the trip and not really that much of a workout. I am afraid of heights and did not have a single problem.

Try to go at twilght to watch as the city lights up as you walk down the bridge. Absolutely breathtaking.

It takes about three hours from start to finish but it seems to fly by.

You will be kicking yourself in twenty years if you did not get a chance to do the bridge climb.
Sep 1st, 2004, 06:55 AM

I'm terrified of bridges and I was ALMOST convinced to do the climb. (I close my eyes crossing bridges as a passenger in a car. Driving, well, let's just say most people who have ridden with me insist on switching off before I have to drive across one.) You can walk across it on the same level as the cars and take photos with no problem at all. The climb goes to the *top*. If you look closely you can see people making their way up just about any time you care to look.

Everyone I met who had done it raved about the experience. Most of these folks were of "average" athleticism (to put it politely).I wouldn't worry about that.

It's a little pricey, but they do take YOUR photo for you ... and everyone I talked to says it was well worth it.
Sep 2nd, 2004, 11:33 AM

You can go to the top of one of the pylons. Quicker and cheaper, but not the same great experience!
Sep 2nd, 2004, 01:53 PM

Hi again Ltt,
As Margo says (Hi Margo) the towers are there to climb too, however when you do the climb the bridge you are given a discount ticket or was it a free ticket to go up the towers.
We gave our away as we ran out of time.
S you could climb the bridge and get up the tower.
muck
Sep 2nd, 2004, 06:08 PM
drb

It's a no-brainer. Do the bridge climb-one of our family's best experiences (three teenagers).
Sep 3rd, 2004, 06:55 AM

My husband and I recently returned from Australia and we didn't do the bridge climb...and we don't feel bad about it. We decided to watch an opera in the Opera House instead-not an experience we are likely to have in our small town. We climbed Uluru/Ayers Rock and by the time we reached Sydney we weren't motivated to climb the bridge.

We plan to go back to Australia and if we want to on that trip, we will climb the bridge. I know I can't speak from experience (having not climbed the bridge) but it's not like it's the Eiffel Tower or something.
Sep 13th, 2004, 12:32 PM

lovestotravel

We did the bridge climb and it was great!. The views are great, it's fun to do the climb.

Is it a must do? only you can decide that - like others have mentioned, I will skip the "must sees" if they do not appeal to me. It's a vacation do what you will enjoy.

Have fun..Sydney is awesome. I am plotting another trip there in the near future
Sep 13th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

I think we are convinced. I'm sure we will do the bridge climb. Just 3 more months!
Sep 13th, 2004, 08:11 PM

I did the bridge climb just two weeks ago on my Australia trip. I bought the ticket, and then went for a walk near the base of the bridge and looked up and saw people (little ants) climbing and I thought... I'm going to really do THAT??? I had a hard time sleeping the night before.

But... the good news is, it was absolutely awesome! It is not a hard climb to do. They take it easy and keep everyone going at a moderate pace, with many stops along the way.

Do the climb. It's something you will not forget. And the pictures they take of you are really a great souvenir (since you can't carry anything with you).
Sep 18th, 2004, 01:32 AM

Absolutely do the bridge climb. It is a once-in-a-lifetime experience and is worth every penny. Walking across and climbing the pylon are not substitutes. I was a little nervous about doing the climb, but it was surprisingly easy.
Sep 18th, 2004, 05:46 AM

I did it and LOOVED it. Initially, I decided to do it because I heard a bunch of people raving about it. I am afraid of heights and I was nervous, I won't lie. There's a part where you climb a ladder and come up near the roadway. For me, that was the scariest part. Let me add that you are tethered to the bridge at all times so you are very safe. Once we got up onto the catwalk on the girders, it was absolutely awesome. I pictured a really narrow walkway but it was like walking on a sidewalk and there are railings on either side of you. I fully expected to be scared up there but I felt completely safe and loved every minute. The view is wonderful--I had perfectly clear skies the day I went although it was chilly. (It was July).

Sooo, do I think it's a must do? It's a unique experience and totally up to you, but I'm glad I did it and would do it again in a heartbeat!