Sydney Food / Activity Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Sydney for 9 days beginning next Thursday. We're staying in the Rocks. We're healthy foodies & would love some food/restaurant recommendations, especially cultural cuisine. Also, we've scoured the guidebooks and come up with some activities that look good to us, but are wondering if anyone's got thoughts on whether these are worth the time to visit.

Sydney Aquarium & Sydney Wildlife World
Royal Botanic Gardens
Taronga Zoo
Australian Museum
Walk Around Balmain
Walk from Bondi Beach to Clovelly and/or around Manly
Walk around Watson's Bay & Vaucluse
Day trip to Hunter Valley
Writer's Walk
Justice & Police Museum
Sydney Tower
Weekend Rocks Market & George Street shopping
Great Synagogue
Hyde Park

Also wondering where we'll find beautiful architecture/decor.

Really, really appreciate your thoughts!

MM
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 06:50 PM

As you'll be in Sydney for quite a long time, I would suggest you get The Entertainment Book

http://www.entertainmentbook.com.au/...ookinit=sydney

Its a charity book that gives you around 25% off meals plus coupons for local attractions, it costs around $60 and can be picked up at Cancer Council shops that are located in the city. Make sure you get the SYDNEY CITY copy as there are books for different suburbs

Some excellent reataurants are listed, if you want to check reviews you can go www.eatability.com.au and do a search
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 09:55 PM

Here are some of my favourite restaurants in Sydney:

Berta, Alberta St Sydney (excellent Italian)

Four in Hand (Sutherland st, Paddington)

Spice Temple, Bligh St Sydney (Neil Perry Asian fusion)

Cafe at Andrew Boy Charlton Pool, Art Gallery Road, Domain

Golden Century Sussex st Chinatown (very good Chinese)

Billy Kwongs Crown st Surry Hills (modern Chinese)

Red Lantern Crown st Surry Hills (modern Vietnamese)

I'd visit the zoo rather than Wildlife World, they are both quite expensive so one might be enough. The Aquarium is worth the visit.

Just adding some museums not on your list: the Museum of Sydney is well worth visiting, a number of artists were involved in the design of the museum display cases and it's an exquisite museum. Art Gallery of NSW is another museum that's worth a visit. The restaurant on the top floor has a superb view.

Instead of Sydney Tower see the view for free (or the price of a glass of wine/beer) from the bar in the Summit, George St Sydney. Top floor.

Shopping isn't great at the Rocks Market or George St, there are souvenir type things, is that what you were after? If not, shopping is better in areas like Surry Hills, Paddington, Balmain. These downloadable guides are quite useful for the various inner city areas that are better known for shopping:

http://urbanwalkabout.com/sydney/
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

OOoh, thanks so much!

Susan7, we're definitely not after cheapy souvenir shopping or trinkets. We're more looking for lovely clothes & gifts that we can't get back here in Los Angeles. Handmade or unique or specialty items. Which area do you think would best suit us? Also, do you think the Hunter Valley is worth a day trip?
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 12:24 AM

For jewellery and hand-made things, here's a few suggestions all quite close to the city: Object Gallery, COTA (Courtesy of the Artists) and Metalab

http://www.object.com.au/#/undefined
http://www.metalab.com.au/
http://www.courtesyoftheartist.com.au/

I like both Balmain, Surry Hills and Paddington for shopping. In the list above Object and Metalab are in Surry Hills, which is now the Design precinct of Sydney, while COTA is in the Strand Arcade in the City.

In Balmain, I also like Punch Gallery for handmade things.

I'm probably not the right person to ask about Hunter Valley as a day trip because I don't like the wines from that region very much. Also it's not very scenic, unlike some wineries. That said there are some nice restaurants in the region and I really like nearby Cessnock and the beaches at Newcastle are really gorgeous.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Those look great! Thanks for sending the links!!

Hmmmm, Hunter Valley might not be for us then either. We love a good wine and would be disappointed if it wasn't very scenic. I guess being Californians, we have images of Sonoma Valley in N. California, which is truly gorgeous. Do you have any favorite day trips if we want to get out of a city a little?
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 06:24 PM

If you want some fabulous restaurants in Sydney then I would recommend Quay and Aria, both of which have amazing harbour views. With Quay though you'll need to check whether a cruise ship is in the harbour which will block the view. The food and experience at Est and Sepia is wonderful although there is no view to speak of. All of these though are at the upper end in terms of cost, but in my opinion well worth the cost.

If you like spicy food then I second Susan7's recommendation that you go to Spice Temple. It has amazing decor as well. If you're really interested in the restaurants check out the Good Food Guide book, or look on the Sydney Morning Herald website for reviews. The Good Food Guide is published by the Herald.

In terms of decor you might want to check out Ivy, its a bar on George Street that has incredible design, each area has its own theme and is beautifully designed and constructed. Ivy also houses a number of very good restaurants which are also worth checking out.

In terms of architecture, there are some beautiful buildings in Sydney (and some terribly ugly ones as well) you can do a tour through Sydney Architecture Walks. My favourite buildings in terms of new architecture are Aurora Place which was designed by Renzo Piano, Opera House (obviously), Walsh Bay Wharves and Governor Macquarie/Phillip Tower. The new Westfields in Pitt Street Mall is worth a visit for design, its only recently opened. Of course there are loads of old beautful buildings. No 1 Martin Place is also a favourite. You'll see most of the buildings if you spend time wandering around the city.

If you want a day trip the Southern Highlands is good and has wineries, although they are rather spread out. You'll also find more interesting and boutique shops at Moss Vale, Bowral and Berrima.

I disagree with Susan7 on the Hunter Valley, it can be quite pretty but unlike Sonoma which is mountainous the Hunter Valley is flatter and more spread out. It depends on the weather as well, if we're in drought its quite dry and brown. I do agree though that the Sonoma is truly gorgeous! There are also some very good wines in the Hunter Valley but as with the Sonoma and Napa you need to know where to go because there are just so many wineries. There are a few really good restaurants in the Hunter, Rock Restaurant at Pooles Rock is a hatted restaurant.

On the shopping, I agree with Susan7 you'll find more interesting things around Surry Hills, Paddington and Balmain. I also like Mosman for interesting shops. If you have a car you can head out to Mosman for shopping and then lunch at Gunners Barracks, food is good but the views across the harbour are gorgeous.

Enjoy your stay!
Old Feb 11th, 2011, 12:10 AM

If you want to get out of the city there are a number of options: Southern Highlands as Misslis suggests, Blue Mountains (west of he city), Pearl Beach (north of the city), and the south coast maybe as far as Kiama (and do the Minnamurra Falls walk slightly inland, a gorgeous temperate rainforest walk).

If you are hiring a car you could go to some of the National Parks in the Sydney Basin area. Royal National Park (south) Kuring-gai National Park on the northern outskirts of Sydney has very good walks. My favourite is the Basin walk, you often see wallabies there and there's some amazing Aboriginal rock carvings on the way. I have also seen quite a few goannas there. It's about 40 minutes north of the CBD. There's a netted swimming area at the bottom of the walk.

Here's a longer list of the national parks:
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/na...=Sydney-region
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 05:33 PM

Agree about Paddington for the shopping you describe although it has become more upmarket lately with quite a few big brand names. Saturday's Paddington markets are fun, extensive and the local shops sometimes have stalls selling what they sell in their shops but at cheaper prices. I like Balmain for its old Australiana architecture and quality novelty shops as well as interesting cafes...a bit more alternate than Paddo.
Consider Palm Beach, Whale Beach or Church Point for a day trip. First two are far northern beaches and are naturally beautiful with lots of upmarket homes and weekenders. A long bus trip along the peninsula though, of mixed interest. Church Point in same area is a laid back waterside area(with lazy atmosphere,not much town: it is the jumping off point for spots along the shores of Pittwater, accessible by small ferries). You can have a trip on water, even if it is a round trip to the waterside communities. This is a personal fave. Another spot is Bundeena, in a National Park south of Sydney. Train to southern suburb of Cronulla then gorgeous trip on ferry to Bundeena. Quiet coves, waterside houses, yachts and runabouts, little beach with walks when you get there and a cafe or two.
Hope you enjoy your stay, whatever you end up doing.
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Original Poster

These look very much up our alley! Bundeena and Kiama and Minnamurra Falls look like a must. Many thanks for these suggestions! Really appreciated!!
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 06:43 PM

You mentioned you plan to do some walks while you are here... The Bondi to Coogee one is great but can I also recommend the Manly to Spit Bridge walk. It offers breathtaking views over the harbour. There are details on 10 beautiful Sydney walks that I have put together here for because I got tired of typing them up time after time in forum answers... http://www.squidoo.com/top-10-sydney
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 06:45 PM

The link above includes all the info you need to plan any of the walks and links to the official websites that have maps etc.. its not a tour company.
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Huge thanks to all who gave us suggestions here! We had a terrific (and delicious) time! Highlights include seeing inside a wallaby's pocket at a 4 month old babe at the Taronga Zoo, architectural tours of the Rocks, City Centre & Opera House, visits to Surry Hills, Balmain & the Saturday Paddington market, walks around Bondi & Manly beaches. Food highlights include Spice Temple, Red Lantern, Pony, The Cut, Toko, ManlyWine, The Ocean Room. We splurged on Uccello but were disappointed in the food (the scene, however, was amusing).

So much of Sydney felt like home. So many similarities! A wonderful trip! Many thanks!!
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 10:02 PM

Great to hear you had a good time. Are you from San Francisco, Melissa?
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Original Poster

There are definitely aspects of San Francisco that remind me of Sydney, especially the hilly, compact bustling city, but I'm from Los Angeles. I think we share a friendly, laid back vibe. Bondi beach feels a lot like our Hermosa Beach, Manly like Manhattan Beach, Surry Hills like Los Feliz, the scene at The Ivy was reminiscent of Sunset Boulevard. When you're in LA, I'd love to reciprocate with recommendations!
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 02:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Glad you enjoyed your visit Melissa. It's always interesting to see our city through visitors' eyes - thanks for posting your impressions.