Reload this Page >

Sydney city walks/neighbourhoods

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 03:20 PM
x

Hello.<BR><BR>I understand there are many lovely ocean/nature paths in Sydney. However, now I'm interested to hear if there are any interesting neighbourhoods or city type of walks that you would suggest? Not sure what to compare it to but for example, per se seeing Greenwich Village or such neighbourhoods in NYC. Any areas that are fun to hang out within Sydney? Please advise.<BR><BR>Cheers.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 03:28 PM
aussie

Take a walking tour around the Rocks with a tour guide. This will give you the history of the 1st. Fleet arrival in Australia.<BR>A walk over Sydney Harbour bridge & around Kirrabilli is very enjoyable.

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 06:22 AM
jt

The harbor shore walks morph between nature and city. Visit Neutral Bay, Double Bay, Rose Bay.<BR><BR>More centrally, walk Oxford street (to the Paddington Bazaar on Sat am). On Thursday night the shops stay open, so cover the lively pedestrian areas ranging from Town Hall to Martin Place.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 04:08 AM
Daniel

Hi there<BR><BR>I think I know what you mean. Try these three neighbourhoods - Surry Hills, Darlinghurst, Paddington - which are all in walking distance from each other. You will need a small map however, as some of the back streets are laneways, and it is not always laid out in a grid fashion.<BR><BR>Near Central Station is the former Rag Trade district of Surry Hills. While it is a bit down at heel near the station, the walk uphill along Devonshire Street up to Crown Street will give place you in the centre of Surry Hills. Crown Street runs up towards Oxford Street and is the main commercial street of Surry Hills - a good eclectic mix of shops. If you head down to Bourke Street you will enter a pretty area of row housing, some quite ornate. Take your time walking up either of these streets to Oxford Street - it should give you a real feel for the neighbourhood.<BR><BR>At the corner of Oxford Street and Taylor Square, you will will see the beautiful sandstone courthouse (Grecian revival) - behind this is the National Art School which is accessed by the street on the left called Forbes. Find an entrance into the School, because what you will find is a severe but beautiful late Georgian prison that has been converted into an Art School. The area behind the school is a neighbourhood (Darlinghurst) characterised by its former glory, and used to be the home of wealthy gentry in the nineteenth century. Somehow make your way up back to Oxford Street., heading away from the city.<BR><BR>A short walk up Oxford Street (great for interesting shops) is Glenmore Road. It's opposite the very impressive Victoria Barracks. Follow Glenmore Road to Five Ways, which is basically a small village where five streets converge. Here you will probably find Sydney at its quaintest. The tall Victorian pub on the corner with the verandahs is a good place to stop and have lunch.<BR><BR>Take your time to walk up to Wollahra, along Paddington Street, all the way up to Jersey Road. You can make your way back to Oxford Street from here.<BR><BR>I like this walk, as I no longer live in Sydney anymore, but love visiting. It reminds me of what is special about this city - it is full of surprises, and it defies the expectations of what people perceive Sydney to be (ie just waterfront bridge and opera house). There are many interesting eclectic neighbourhoods – Newtown, Glebe and Balmain, where you can just wonder about and eat and drink or whatever. Have a great time!<BR><BR>

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:54 PM
iacovino

Without doubt, the most magnificent walk within the city is from the Spit Bridge to Manly. It is 10k and can be a little bit strenuous, but the views are unreal. The track is well marked. You will walk through beautiful Australian bush, across beaches, and through neighborhoods. When you get to Manley,take some time to enjoy the beach and the Corso. Then you can get a ferry back into the city.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 03:51 AM
steve

There are lots of great walks in Sydney. Try walking from the city through Kings Cross, around Rushcutters Bay and onto Bondi Junction.<BR><BR>In the southern suburbs try walking along the beach front from Brighton-Le Sands past Ramsgate, Sandringham, Sans Souci and over the Captain Cook Bridge to Taren Point, through Sylvania Waters back across the George's River to Blakehurst and onto Carrss Park.<BR><BR>In the Western Suburbs, try a walking tour through Parramatta. Catch the ferry from Circular Quay and vist some of the areas historic buildings including Old Government House before having a meal in the restaurant strip in the northern end of Church St.