Sheraton Moorea Honeymoon

Oct 16th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Parker

Sheraton Moorea Honeymoon

Hi all,
just looking for a little help regarding Moorea and the Sheraton. I'm looking at a 7 night honeymoon in Aug. 2003 in an OW bungalow. Any recommendations on where I might be able to find the best deal? I've looked at a few of the biggies, such as Tahiti Explorer, Air Tahiti, Costco, Pacific For Less, Islands in the Sun. Cheapest I have found is $5300 w/air. I always see specials for under $2000 pp w/air, but when I call, the total is over $5000? Any help is appreciated, and if there is anything else I should know about this resort - except for negatives, since I have already read about them and am still sticking with my choice.
thanks...

Oct 16th, 2002, 09:13 AM
DJ

Hi Parker,

Sorry that I don't have any additional info re booking specials. If you are a Starwood member you may be able to get a better hotel rate at the Sheraton if you do the booking yourself for your hotel. We did, for an OWB and found we got a better rate than the agents could provide. You will really enjoy this resort as it is beautiful and the location is lovely. We recently returned and were fortunate that we did not experience any of the major problems others have written about. The OWBs are fabulous, well equipped and worth the extra cost if your budget permits. Our service was fine overall, some staff being friendlier than others. We found that making an effort to speak a few words in Tahitian with the locals was well appreciated with a positive response as well as a 'bonjour" or "merci" at other times. Do have a wonderful time on your special vacation. DJ

Oct 16th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Parker

DJ,
thanks for the input. Glad you had a good experience. Were there robes and snorkel gear in the OW's? Also, did you happen to venture out to a grocery store and use the mini fridge for storage? We'd like to be able to have some snacks in our room incase we get hungary, but don't want to venture off to a/the restaurant? Also, how was the resort food, and did you eat out? Were the cocktails at the bar good, expensive?
thanks,

Oct 16th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Parker

DJ,
I also wanted to ask, if it is alright with you, what the rate you received for the OW? And was it the regular OW or the premium? Through Starwood Member correct?
thanks again

Oct 16th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Enrique

Hi Parker:

I just called a bunch of tour operators a couple of weeks ago and got the best price from Happy Vacations, beat the next one by about $200 in my case. This was for my own honeymoon to Bora Bora and Moorea.

Just be aware that Happy deals only with travel agents (which I am), so you have to go through one to get their prices...

Enrique
[email protected]

Oct 16th, 2002, 02:32 PM
DJ

Hi Parker,

Yes there are robes and snorkel gear provided in the OWB. We had a Horizon OWB #107 and it was situated one unit from the end of the pier. We also requested a sunset view which I would recommend if you can get it. We looked out onto the ocean & beautiful lagoon as well as seeing the beautiful mountain peaks and part of a bay. It was just terrific. Great to just sit out on the spacious balcony and watch the sunsets in quiet privacy.
Re the mini bar. It was the usual size and I'm sure you could store some snack items by just removing some of the hotel items and replace them before you leave. The food overall is quite expensive at the resort for all meals. Our continental breakfasts cost us around $35US (unfortunately as Canadians we had to add another 45% on top). Usually at lunch we would share a meal at the pool reataurant & bar as the portions were quite large and we are not big eaters. Again with bottled water or beer you are looking at $35-40US. Dinner on average can range anywhere from $100-$200 depending on your alcohol comsumption.
Having said all this I would say the food is ok. Nothing special at breakfast, the lunches were good and the few dinners we ate there were mediocre. We went to an outside restuarant called Te Hono Iti a number of times which we both enjoyed much more but still around the same cost. A lot of the restaurants will pay for your taxi fare oneway from the hotel. This was reasonably priced and we did prefer the food over the Sheratons for dinners. There are a number of good restaurants to choose from. Just ask other guests.
Re our rate. I'm pretty sure that we received either 35 or 40% off the specified rate using our Starwood membership. I'm not sure if this is a continuous promotion or not but it's well worth looking into. Hope this info helps. DJ