Sydney Bridge Climb - 2 questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're considering doing the Sydney Bridge Climb but I have a few questions.
1) Do I need to book in advance? We'll be in Sydney in early April, for 5 days, and I was hoping to book when I got there. Is that okay, or do I need to book now?
2) I read (probably somewhere on this forum) that you can't take anything with you. I don't mind leaving my purse and camera, but I do need to bring some medical necessities along (eye drops, mouth gel) and a SMALL bottle of water. Will I be able to do that? I can't go 3 hours without a sip of water. If there are pockets in the clothes they give you, my stuff would fit in easily.

Thanks,
Alice
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 11:58 AM

Alice9,

You can probably book when you arrive (I booked the same day I climbed: April'06) but if you want a specific time or day then book in advance.

http://www.bridgeclimb.com/default.htm

No, you can not bring anything including a tiny bottle of water or eye drops or anything!, there are no pockets in the climbing suit that you must wear.

If you really can't go 3 hours without water and want a nice view of the bridge, you can climb up the concrete pylon.

http://www.pylonlookout.com.au/
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 07:22 PM

We did the pylon route and were glad we did. The bridge climb, though, has many advocates. Here is why we didn't do it--it cost $175/pp and you can't bring anything (as you have found out) and takes a loooong time and the only pictures you get are the ones they take of you. On the other hand, the pylon you can do at any time of the day, has a great little museum along the stairs up, has great views of Sydney, the Harbour, AND the people climbing the bridge! Several groups went up and down while we were drinking in the sights, taking a million and one pictures, drinking water, etc. as we pleased. Only you know if the bridge climb is worth it to you. Many people feel a personal accomplishment of overcoming their fear of heights, love the great views, love having done a neat activity, etc. but for us, the pylon was the best option and it was really great.
Sally in Seattle
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 01:20 AM

My husband and I have done the Bridge climb and highly recommend it. Our guide carried my husband's puffer for asthma so if you have a medical condition ask if they will carry anything for you. Would do it again. Going up at sunset and down in the evening was superb.
There is a Sydney Tower outside walk also but I do not know about this.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 03:37 AM

The website provided gives you the health and safety factors which affect not only you but all the people around you. They are not going to carry your personal bottle of water for you or let you take it. Like Sally, we have done the pylon and also enjoyed paying $8.00 instead of $150 pp.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

We might have to do the pylon route instead - which sounds great, but I REALLY would like to do the bridge climb. I'm trying to decide if I can make it without water and other small necessities - my husband thinks I'm nuts for even considering it, but...

I did take a look at the FAQ on the Bridge Climb site and they ARE definite about not taking anything with you.

So maybe we've saved ourselves a few hundred bucks, maybe I should look at it THAT way.

Thanks everyone.
Alice
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 12:55 PM

On the first morning you are in sydney take a walk through the rocks up to the bridgeclimb office and ask them first hand.

If you are inclined to go then check out the weather forecast for the best day.

If you go to the south east pylon combine it with a ferry trip to milsons point (under the bridge) and then walk over the bridge from the northern side.Take your photo in front of the smiley face at luna park..have a coffee at Ripples in front of north sydney pool.
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, excellent advice, I will go to the source and see if anything can be arranged. If not, your plan sounds like a good consolation prize.

Alice
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:52 PM

Hi Alice,

Johns idea is a good one. Definitely walk over to North Sydney but when people ask I always recommend the Bridge Climb. I live in Sydney and my husband and I did it for a bnirthday gift for him.

I think everyone should do it once. There is nothing better than a sparkling day in Sydney looking at the harbour (what I am doing right now from my office let me tell you. I know I should be working).

Anyway the whole experience is great. I am asthmatic and go nowhere without my puffer. The guide took it for me. I can't remember being thirsty. A lot of the time in the climb is the getting ready, dressing in the suits and then afterwards looking at the photo so your actual time wihout access to water is not that long.

Yes it is expensive but IMO not overpriced.