Sydney & Gold Coast in May for Big family

Jan 18th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Sydney & Gold Coast in May for Big family

My parents want to spend their 50th wedding anniversary by taking us all on a trip to Sydney & the Gold Coast. We are a multi-generation group of 18 people, mostly in our 40's, 5 teenagers, and a couple of small kids. To start my research, can anyone help with the following:

1. What is the weather like--last 2 weeks of May?
2. We usually stay in serviced-apartments for these family trips such as an Oakwood or Somerset. Can you recommend similar in a nice area in both places?
3. Would anyone like to share itineraries they have done with me?
4. Will we need a car/cars?

We have successfully done Bali and Bangkok/Chiangmai in the past, staying at villas and serviced apartments, and taking some arranged day tours during the trip, but mostly I arrange the program and research on nice restaurants to try. Thanks so much for any suggestions you can share!
Jan 18th, 2006, 09:13 PM

Hi Vicki,
The weather will be great on the G.C. then (www.weatherbase.com)

We did a similar "All ages" trip to NZ with our family a few years ago and hired a "people mover" for 12-14 and 2 cars. This gave us the ability to split/meld to suit everyone's daily itineraries/interests and worked very well indeed.

You will need vehicles if you want to see anything of the hinterland, and, I would think, just for getting around on the Gold Coast.

The Gold Coast is flush with apartments - try googling "Gold Coast accommodation"; wotif and lastminute.com for a few ideas.

Jan 19th, 2006, 02:25 AM

With 18 people I would try for a house rental, a big house. Best to contact an agent and have them source some options for you. It could work out you get a better address for less money than say getting 5 serviced apartments. Sometimes they have a catering option.
Jan 19th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

That sounds like a great idea--does anyone have any ideas on how I go about researching this, and what are the "nice addresses" in both Sydney and the Gold coast?

In a serviced apartment set-up, we usually get 4 two-bedroom units, and one studio. Are there houses big enough for this group? If you know of any (or maybe heard of any) do let me know!

Thanks for your responses so far!
Jan 20th, 2006, 02:16 AM

For Sydney this looks nice. I had some trouble finding for over 12 people but there are a few about. I am sure there are more but to give an idea.

Carrillon, Pymble. Nice upper middle class area.

http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacat...als/19589.html

Saw a gerat house (well mansion) in the mountains a few months ago that slept up to 25 but can't find it now!

Jan 20th, 2006, 02:32 AM

This one a tad more expensive lol and also way aways from Sydney city but where many celebrities hang out.

For comparisons sake

http://www.domain.com.au/public/prop...racker:Holiday

Jan 23rd, 2006, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the leads Tassie! I have been googling all sorts of accommodations for Sydney and the houses I come up with may have 7 bedrooms or so, but only 2.5 bathrooms! With 4 families in our group, I doubt if they will all want to be THAT cozy-- sharing and waiting. (we'll never leave the house! lol)

Someone recommended the Somerset in Darling Harbour. That way, everyone is in the middle of town and can do what they want on the free times I schedule. Hmm..what do you think of that?
Jan 23rd, 2006, 04:11 PM

Hi
here are a couple of sites -
http://www.holidaycity.com/sydneyapartments/
http://www.sydneyservicedapartments.net

I have stayed at the York apartments in Sydney (The Rocks end of the city) and it was good. They have a nice pool area and nice city views. http://www.theyorkapartments.com.au . I second the suggestion to check www.wotif.com.au for ideas for apartments. Not sure about somerset, but darling harbour would be a good location too.

Gold coast there are so many apartments its insane! Recently stayed up there at the Breakfree Peninsula http://www.stellaresorts.com.au/brea...s/?resort=1054 , which was excellent (Breakfree have a lot of properties up there). We had a 2 x 2 bedroom apartments, and slept 10 people, but we were only there for a weekend. Great spot, great views, nice and central and of course close to the beach. We were only there for a weekend, but you won't have any problems filling a week. One place we did go to which was excellent was brunch at the northcliffe surf club - very reasonable prices and a lovely location right on the beach. http://www.northcliffesurfclub.com.a...sed-club.shtml .

Re: cars. I don't think you would necessarily need them in Sydney, most things can be easily done by public transport (eg ferry to manly, bus to Bondi) or on an organised day tour (eg Blue Mountains).

Gold Coast it would definitely be worth thinking about - perhaps not for the whole week - 3 days might even be enough, because as someone else suggested you might want to do some hinterland trips (very very nice, eg Mt Tamborine). That way you could go to Brisbane if you wanted, or even down to somewhere like Byron Bay if that was of interest to you.

As for areas to stay, I'd probably go for the City in Sydney - you'll have the most flexibility if you stay in the city. For Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise is the central part, but there are places all along the coast - Broadbeach, Burleigh Heads etc.

feel free to ask more questions when you've done some more research. I'm australian researching europe for my parent's 3 month trip, so I know how valuable this forum is.

good luck!

Jan 24th, 2006, 07:26 AM

We just returned from a 2 family vacation to NZ and found that serviced apts/houses within walking distance of town was the best option. Not everyone is on the same schedule, so this allowed the "early birds" the opportunity to get up and explore, while the others slept, relaxed, whatever. And sufficient # of bathrooms was imperative.
Jan 30th, 2006, 06:29 PM

Breakfree has a massive presence in QLD. mAssive. But i found them too expensive and predict they would be less suited to your needs. Holiday houses as suggested by tassie is the go.

I don;t know a lot about this but have been in big homes in Byron bay and excellent log cabins in the bunya mountains west of brisbane (almost 3 hours). So on that basis i'm sure there's something on the gold coast but here's the tip. when enquiring just ask about the houses available. Don;t say how many people you have and then make your own decision on whether or not its big enough.