SYD and Northern Territory in 2 weeks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a 2 weeks INDEPENDENT trip from Europe) in the second half of august with our 2 kids aged 12 and 6. This is our 3rd trip to Australia. We were in NT 16 years ago (our honeymoon) and just did Ayers Rock and Alice Springs.
Now we want to come back with the family and extend the trip to the top end, Kakadu etc.
I am considering to fly into Alice Spring from Sydney, rent a car in AS, doing Ayers Rock, Mt Olgas and then to north. The idea is to drop off the car in Darwin and fly back from there.
Kids are very used to long trips by plane and car so that is not a limit.
Our priorities are scenery and wildlife crocs in Kakadu).
Any suggestion on a possible itinerary and car rental company in Alice Springs ?
Where would you stop on the way to north and lodging ?
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 02:45 PM

Hi Fabio,
That's a great time to be in the NT and your kids will absolutely LOVE it!

It's about 1500 km Alice - Darwin and (straight run) about 17 hrs driving, so I'd allow 2-3 days, depending on stops etc.

Here's a link you might find useful - www.selfdriveshop.com
From a quick perusal, there's 3 or 4 companies which do one-way rentals of campervans.
The best known are Britz & Maui, which are a little more expensive than Kea and the other one ... but the devil's in the detail, I think. Watch out for the excess on Kea - it's per event, not per hire. As an example, though, 7 days in a 2+2 pop-top is about $830 Kea & $1200 Britz.

The website has interactive quotes, but I couldn't get it to respond to less than 7 days, so if you need less than that, you probably need to contact them direct.

I'm not sure whether the other car rental firms (Avis, Hertz) etc., do one-way without an outrageous penalty, but it's worth asking if you weren't keen on a campervan.

Since you were in Alice, they've built the most fantastic "Desert Park", just a few km out of town. You just have to see it! Plan on at least 1/2 day and go early. There's a birds of prey exhibition on about 10 am (can't remember if there's an afternoon show) in a natural rock ampitheatre, which will absolutely take your breath away.

Sadly, the Guelph (Sp) Building (round building with mural of the Alice Springs sourrounds inside) and it's wonderful aboriginal artifacts etc., were lost in a fire last year.

There's myriad things (as you probably remember) to do & see, just in & around Alice Springs. Also some intersting trips (1/2 day) out to some of the Aboriginal artists' camps. Also good value is the hop on/hop off bus that goes all around, including the Telegraph post, Flying Doctor etc.,

Lots more happening in the Aboriginal Art world up there now (watch out for the tourist rubbish in & just off Todd Mall). There are some very good (not necessarily only expensive) galleries (Gondwana & Red Centre and others) too.

Not sure if the Cultural Centre (again, few km out of town) would have been built when you were there - well worth a look. Has very interesting museum, aviation museum and often an art exhibition. (It's on the hop-on/hop off route, too.)

On your way to Uluru (Ayers Rock), be sure to leave enough time to climb up to Kings Canyon. About half way up, there's a little glade of cycads and if you sit quietly there for 10 - 15 mins you'll see some fascinating lizards. (It's also a very nice cool break from the climb.)

August's winter, so v.cold in the mornings & evenings, but usually warms up nicely by mid morning. Just remember to bring some wind-cheaters.

You will have SUCH a wonderful time and what fantastic family memories! Thanks for coming back with your family - and for spending the time to get to know an area rather than wanting to "see all of Australia & NZ in 10 days".

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:20 PM

Fabio,
Here's another car link. Seems everyone up there is happy to do one-way rentals. Watch out for the mileage, some of these don't appear to be one-way.
http://www.carhire.com.au

Lots of info for itineraries etc if you Google "Alice Springs - Australia".

Also, worth a search on this site - some recent feedback from members who have done similar trips with their kids.

In Darwin, will you go out to Kakadu in the rental vehicle, or take a tour?

If you decide on a tour, I can highly recommend Billycan. I did one (7 days, I think) with them in 2003 and it was very, very good. Small group (15 or so)and the guide (Wes Ellem) was excellent. I'm not into group travel at all, but I know I saw more & got to places I wouldn't have on my own on this occasion. (Also found out a lot about things/places/people I wouldn't have recognized/known on my own, too!)

You won't run into school holidays in August, so rates & availability should be pretty good.

For flights, try www.qantas.com.au; www.jetstar.com.au & www.virgin.com.au
Virgin has "Happy Hour" specials for an hour (noon - 1pm AEST) and they all regularly have special deals, so it's worth subscribing to their online newsletters as they usually go out the night before the ads in the papers.

For accommodation, www.wotif.com.au is the one I find has the best rates/range.

In Darwin, Mindil night markets and the open air cinema are great.

Very good hop on/hop off bus there, too. They'll pick you up at your hotel. As with Alice, quite a few places of interest are a little way out of town.

I had a car in both places, and did the hop on/off on day 1, just quickly, and then went back to those that interested me for a longer visit later.

Something really special in Alice Springs ... take a helicopter trip or Hot Air Ballooning early in the morning.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:51 PM

Fabio - correction: Apropos the car rentals - I meant to say "some of these don't appear to be unlimited"

Sorry - caffeine deprivation
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Original Poster

Hi Bokhara

I did not expect such a precious help and full details !! Thank you very much.
I see you are from OZ ! And this is definitely our top no. 1 destination and Sydney our favourite city in the world !

I will check all the links you mentioned !
For Kakadu it is still open whether doing it as a tour from Darwin or driving by our own and do yellow river cruises from there. I would opt for the second, I think..

On our first trip (nov-dec 1991) we had 4 weeks: Melburne & Great Ocean Road, Sydney, Alice Springs, Ayers Rock (I did the climbing on top), Cairns, Brisbane (surfer's paradise)
Our second trip was by Xmas 2001 for 16 days, with both kids (our daughter only 5 months old) and we did Cairns (we love quicksilver cruises), flew to Perth and by car from there to Coolgardie, Kalgoorlie, Pinnacle Desert, Esperance, Waive rock and Fremantle.

This trip will be concentrated in NT, while one of the next will be definitely Kimberley region and nortwestern Australia.

I agree with you, not to jump too much in a few days !!

fabio
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 06:00 AM

Plan to spend some time in Katherine as well on your NT vacation. You can rent canoes and paddle through the Katherine Gorge. Go hiking and swimming in the natural pools in Edith Falls NP. Tour Cutti Cutti cave. (Get there for the first tour of the morning and you may find you have a private tour as we did.) Definitely go on the Crocodile Night Adventure. (Note: canoes rentals and the Crocodile Night Adventure must be booked in advance either through your accomodations or Travel North.)
While in Darwin, you must go to Aquascene to hand-feed the fish. Your kids will love it! Also, spend a day at the Territory Wildlife Park and Berry Springs Park (which are next to each other). Finally, spend a day at Litchfield NP. Your family will love swimming at Wangi Falls and the magnetic termite mounds are fascinating.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

thank you longhorn55

I was now wondering where to stop for lodging between Alice and Katherine.
As far as I can see Tennant Creek could be one, bu then? How often will I find hotels or motels on the way ?
Does it take 2 to 3 days ?
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 10:38 PM

Hi Fabio:

A few things for your DARWIN file.

Pee Wee's at the Point: http://www.peewees.com.au/ It's in a fabulous location and your kids will like it too.

Darwin Sailing Club: http://www.dwnsail.com.au
This place is an absolute gem, and I don't think you have to be a member, from memory. (It's snootier cousin is just opposite it.) I went there with a local friend who has littlies (4 & 6 at the time) and it was just fabulous. Meals v.good, not expensive, and you can sit outside while the kids play on the sand. There's a little playground either on the premises or just next door, too.

This month's Australian Gourmet Traveller has an interesting article called "Joining the Dots" - "A visit to the Top End experiencing the indigenous arts culture yields a far richer bounty than just the canvas or objects collected along the way." I haven't had time to read it yet as it only arrived today, but it looks v.interesting. Lots of pics. Makes me want to head for the airport
Museum & Art Gallery of the Northern Territory. Great place to get a feel for Aboriginal art. (Conacher St., Bullocky Point). The hop on/hop off bus goes here.

Mason Gallery: www.masongallery.com (Cavanagh St)
Raft Artspace: (next to Parap Markets - which are well worth a visit) www.raftartspace.com.au
Maningrida Arts & Culture: www.maningrida.com An Aboriginal artists' co-op featuring traditional & contemorary works. Mitchell Street.
Karen Brown Gallery: www.karenbrowngallery.com (also Mitchell st.)

Darwin VisualArts Association - emerging indigenous artists. 56 Woods st. Tel: (08) 8981 3531

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Bokhara

I wish I could stay much longer than 2 weeks !! I am now considering to rent a car in the Alice/Ayers Rock area, then flying to Darwin and take another car so I can save those 2-3 days between Alice and Katherine....

thank you so much !!

fabio
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 10:51 PM

Prego, Fabio .. abbia un grande viaggio
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 12:39 AM

I think flying between Alice and Darwin is a good idea if you have limited time. It will be a long, long way to drive with kids and not much to see along the way. Are you set on going to Alice again or might you consider spending the whole time north of Katherine? There is plenty to do for 2 weeks. Do a search for Kakadu, Litchfield and Darwin and you will get into other recent threads on this.

We self drove through the NT, including Kakadu, last August 2006 with our 10 yr. old daughter. Had a great time. I've posted before about some of our experiences.

In Darwin we went to Tim's Surf and Turf on our last day; wish we'd gone earlier so we could have returned. Good place to eat and when we were there kids ate free before a certain time (6 pm I think, but you should check on that)--

Re: Aquascene..our 10 yr. old wasn't all that thrilled with it, but longhorn's kids loved it. It isn't cheap so I don't know how to steer you on that.

The museum in Darwin is great. I think even young kids will like things there. Our daughter enjoyed the boats section.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 01:38 AM

Hi LynAK - do you mean the "Boat people" boats? I was stunned .. imagine undertaking such a journey in those flimsy little things. Gives you goosebumps to think how scared, determined & brave those poor people must have been, doesn't it?

Couldn't agree more about the museum and Darwin in general. I found it fascinating - walked for miles along the foreshores. Very interesting history. And I couldn't recommend the hop on/hop off highly enough.

Fabio: Also in the museum is a collection of photos, some items and a "sound effects" room in which the recording of a broadcast done during Cyclone Tracy (1974) which did enormous damage to Darwin. In pitch dark, listening to the sound of the wind, it's quite an experience - even when you know you can just open the door & walk out into the light & calm.

I agree with Lyn about flying - everyone will have sufficient experience of driving & seeing the countryside enroute Alice-Uluru. There's a lot of "are we there yet's" in a drive from Alice - Darwin ! (LOL)
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 06:33 AM

Fabio, I think you are right to consider flying to Darwin from Alice. There's so much to do in the Top End that I think you'll be glad to have those extra 2 - 3 days up there.
Ditto LynAK's recommendation of Tim's Surf and Turf. The food was great and so reasonably priced. It's a popular place, so either make reservations or get there early.
Ditto on the Museum and Art Gallery of the Northern Territory as well. My kids enjoyed seeing "Sweetheart", a huge crocodile which is now stuffed and the short film showing how it was caught. There's also a gallery of fauna with a small section devoted to "Animals that Will Kill You". Actually, that's just what my kids call it, but it displays many of the deadly insects and animals in Australia. That sort of thing always appeals to kids. The museum is free, so you can spend as much or as little time there as you want. Also, if any of you are into aviation, the Aviation Heritage Center just outside of town is worth a stop. It has one of only 2 B-52 bombers outside of the United States. My son and husband went there and loved it.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

thank you all again !!!

fabio
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

""Prego, Fabio .. abbia un grande viaggio ""

Bokhara: grazie, sei molto gentile !
(thank you, you are very kind !)