"The Alice Experience" tour and some other questions about Alice Springs

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (2 people) are debating whether to spend 1 night or 2 in Alice Springs. Travel agent has recommended "The Alice Experience" tour. We would "spend time with a local Aboriginal guide" and "travel to a site of signficance to the Arrente people ... and see demonstrations of boomerang throwing and ... learn about Aboriginal life, languages, art, dance, and music." In the afternoon, the tour goes to the Telegraph Station, Royal Flying Doctor Service, School of the Air, Reptile Center, and Anzac Hill. Any opinions about this tour? Cost is $127 per person; I'm presuming this is US$. I know we can do the non-Aboriginal stuff on our own on the Alice Wanderer bus. Also I've heard good things on this site and in guidebooks about Desert Park (particularly Birds of Prey show), the Aboriginal Art and Culture Centre, and the Alice Springs Cultural Precinct, Museum of Central Australia. We could do these our first afternoon, since our flight arrives in Alice at 10:25 am. We're also going to Sydney (5 days), Cairns and GBR area (5-1/2 days), Ayers Rock (24 hours), and Tasmania (5 days) on our 3-week trip.

Also, the travel agent is recommending the Alice Springs Resort for lodging and a camel ride and dinner at the Frontier Camel Farm ($89 per person). If anyone stayed there or done the camel dinner, please let me know you opinions.

My main question is: Does Alice merit 2 nights and, if so, should we spend our full day on the "The Alice Experience" tour? Also, are there other things not mentioned here that are worth seeing in Alice or any mentioned here that are not particularly worth one's time (and money)?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Judilie
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:20 AM

Judilie-
I can't comment on "The Alice Experience" tour as I'm not familiar with it. Perhaps you can research it and alternatives further here <
http://www.thealice.com.au/>.

The camel ride and dinner at the Frontier Camel Farm <http://cameltours.ananguwaai.com.au/> at $89 seems about right and equal to the A$110 per adult they charge, if booked directly through them. We did this last year and found it to be a very unique experience and were glad we did it. Definitely bring your camera as you'll want a picture or two for next year's Christmas cards. Also, they do pick up and drop off at local hotels.
I do have two words of caution: 1) Be sure to bring a fly net. (A mosquito head net purchased in the U.S. also does the job!) 2) When the Camel Farm offers you a sheepskin for additional padding on your saddle, take two. Otherwise, the entire ride may leave a lasting and possibly painful"impression" on you, particularly if you are the "sensitive" type. (You will not find this tip in travel books.) And finally, the dinner they serve after the ride is excellent!

Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:53 PM

Hi Judilie,
Can't comment on the "Alice Experience" tour, but IMO (having spent 10 days there last year), you wouldn't be able to do justice to the Dessert Park,Art & Culture Centre & Cultural Precinct in an afternoon. BTW, the Birds of Prey show is on around 9.30 - 10am (don't think they have an afternoon one). I think the Alice Wanderer bus ($30 something for 2 days) was good value and learned a lot from the driver that I probably wouldn't have gleaned from the venues alone.

If you're interested in Aboriginal art, there are a number of galleries worth a look (off Todd Mall as well as those along it).

I found Alice Springs a fascinating place and enjoyed having the time to absorb rather than "zoom". Also v.worthwhile is a helicopter trip around the ranges & gorges - unique perspective on the area.

If you're driving to Ayers Rock, don't miss Kings Canyon. At Ayers Rock (Uluru), visit the Cultural Centre before Ayers Rock if you can.

As everyone else will tell you re Uluru: Take (1)more water than you think you'll need. (2) A light coat/parka if you're visiting Ayers Rock in the morning - can be quite cold & windy. (3) Deet or other tropical strength fly & insect repellent (4) hat & fly veil. The flies are pesky little blighters, even if you are used to them

Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:40 PM

judilie,

Why would you assume the price for the "Alice Experience Tour" would be quoted in US$? The Australians have their very own $ and we never encountered anything priced in US$ during a 5 week trip down under

AndrewDavid

ps Canada has its own dollar also and it is currently racing toward par with the US$
Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Because I got the quote from a travel agent in the U.S.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:30 PM

Googling "the Alice Experience" today, the posted rate is AUD 157, converting to USD 117, with discounts offered for pre-booking.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 07:18 PM

Hi Judilie,

I suggest two nights in Alice Springs, especially if you are flying in and out from either Sydney, Melbourne or Adelaide.

Most (but not all) flights to Alice Springs arrive and depart around mid-day, and after checking or fetching your baggage and checking into and out of your hotel, you may be left with barely one-half day of any travel day to sightsee.

I would visit the Desert Park on the afternoon of my arrival, spend the next day with any tour (consider, also, a tour to Palm Valley), and enjoy your free time cruising the Aboriginal art galleries.

Although it is a tourist centre, Alice Springs is not a posh town, and depending on your luck, things can get very "real". The best hotel is the Crowne Plaza, but it is located a couple of kilometres from town. The Alice Springs Resort will be fine, and the Mecure Diplomat has a good location right in the centre of town.
In Central Australia, a "resort" is any accommodation that sports a swimming pool. I don't know you, but if you are used to Disneyland you may find many venues and activities to be more low key than you anticipated. Consider it part of Aussie outback charm!

Have fun!