Suggestions for w/end away - within 2 hrs of Sydney

Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:26 AM
Original Poster

Suggestions for w/end away - within 2 hrs of Sydney

Hi All,
I'm looking for some suggestions for a weekend away within a couple of hours' drive from Sydney, please.

We're 2 couples (50's) who like good food, wine, B & B's, boutique hotels,you know - all the "weekend away" stuff (LOL) The girls are keener on spending hours in art galleries & markets than the boys - but they're happy to wander along provided we find a sensational lunch/dinner place. Or a really good deli where we can find the makings for a sunny picnic. (Although that might be a bit tricky as it's about 700 degrees below here tonight !)

Thought of Peppers in the s/highlands, but it's $175 pp/pn with a 2 night minimum and (a) we can probably only stay Sat. night (b) that's a bit more than I had in mind for accomm. only. I'm thinking more in the area of $200-$250/rm/night.

Would really appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Many thanks

Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:49 PM

where have you been/not been? things that come to mind - blue mountains, hunter, central coast, sth highlands - somewhere like berry. I think you'll find a lot of places have 2 night minimums, but if you went the wotif option you'd probably get a sat night on its own. you could also go to newcastle which I think is a very under-rated place to visit. lots of great beaches, cafes, galleries and places to stay (quite a few boutique/bbs now popping up). You could also tie that in with a lunch in the hunter as well.

somewhere a bit further afield but also good options - orange (big foodie culture) oberon, mudgee.

sorry not too many details, but might spark some other's suggestions of where to stay.
Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:43 PM

hi Bokhara,
We live in Gerringong and there is a newly refurbished boutique hotel " bellachara" which has a lovely restaurant. We are 2 hours from Sydney. Crooked river winery is a few minutes away with tasting and a lovely restaurant. We are 10 minutes to Kiama with markets and the terrace shops for the gals. 10 minutes to Berry with markets and antique shops. Gerroa also has a great cafe "Seahaven" and there is also the Fishermans Club for a drink/meal with awesome views. Our local deli in Gerringong is a must and there are also a few shops to ponder. I would say that if you mentioned to Bellachara that a local recommended it they would be forthcoming with a discount ( here's hoping !!) as you can tell we love the life down here.
Jun 26th, 2006, 02:08 PM

I'd recommend Kiama - which I love, and have access to an apartment - but it's bloody hard to get a decent meal there. 55 on Collins is about the best we've found - and it's expensive for what you get. Cargoes on the wharf is also expensive - and not brilliant. Under no circumstances go to Mango Moon, which is just plain bad!

Some of the pizza places in Kiama aren't too bad (if you like pizza!)

Markets in Kiama on some Sundays - can't remember when - but galleries are a bit light on! Nice leathergoods shop in one of the "Terrace" arcades. Certainly several galleries between Kiama and Berry - and you can certainly get rid of your excess money in Berry - if kitsch is your thing.

We've been planniing to try some of those restaurants at Gerringong - but haven't made it yet. Kathy - have you tried that restaurant at the ?fisherman's club - we look at it each time we go by, but haven't stopped. Must have a spectacular view.

We usually end up cooking.
Jun 26th, 2006, 03:16 PM

margo, I've tried the Fisherman's Club at Gerringong and can recommend it - brilliant view and good food, very reasonably priced.
Jun 26th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all,
Geringong is definitely shaping up to be it - the Fishermen's sounds great, too.
Margo, know what you mean about Berry - it's certainly been Tonyatodmanized, hasn't it? And, remember when those Ye olde Antiquee boutiques were 2nd hand shops where you could find some treasures without leaving the Lexus keys as a deposit? Bit like Berrima, I think.

On a different tack - has anyone been up around Wisemans Ferry/ St. Aubins? I had a feeling there was a nice B & B/chalet with a restaurant up that way.

Jun 28th, 2006, 11:04 PM

Margo- your question re the fishos club. We have had some great meals there and some ordinary ones particularly during extremely busy periods. However the view is wonderful - why not have a drink there and check out the menu. There is a small cafe/restaurant "Seahaven" at the bottom of the hill which is also worth a try (it is quite small).