Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

leaving for sydney and tahiti in 6 days!!!need answers please...

Aug 21st, 2005, 09:25 PM
Original Poster

Hello foderites! I have enjoyed reading many trip reports, much advice and have enjoyed it all, you are wonderful! We are leaving soon on our trip and I had a few questions...
1. What are some unique souvaniers to bring to friends? Good candy for kids?- in sydney and tahiti...
We will be staying in the city center..
2. Any good food suggestions for budget travelers? Restaurants? Bakeries? By budget I mean around aud$20 per person without drinks. I haven't a clue what to expect price wise on food so any advice will be appreciated. (I threw in bakeries because I have a major sweet tooth so any candy shops, and or bakeries mentioned will be visited!)
3. In tahiti we will be staying on the main island of papeete and I have read about the market there and that one should wait to buy souvaniers because it is so cheap. I just don't want to wait until the end of my trip, not buying anything waiting for a bargain, and not know what to expect. Anyone know what items are sold there? Any ideas on prices? What should I expect? Thank you for any information you give!
Aug 22nd, 2005, 05:38 AM
ALF

There are some unique candies for kids. Ours really liked Cadbury's Yowies, which are characters shaped sort of like a chocolate egg. Inside the 'egg', there is a tiny 5-8 piece kit for building a model of one of Australia's animals. Some people collect the kits, trading them online, etc. There are plenty of other candy bars that would be unique to anyone outside the Commonwealth: Tim Tams, Freddo Frogs, Cherry Ripe, Caramello Koala, Violet Crumble, Chokito, Polly Waffle, etc.

We brought back several bottles of hot sauce, with colorful labels and names; Arse Dropper, Pleasure and Pain, Bad Habits.

Another good choice would be opal jewelry. Although good solid opal is expensive, you can buy 'doublets' or 'triplets', composed of a thin wafer of opal attached to a backing material. Triplets are then covered with a glass or quartz top.

Of course, there are boomerangs, didgeridoos, bullroarers, etc. Souvenir shops are filled with replicas of these. Still, a nice hand-painted boomerang looks great.

The large public market in downtown Papeete is a fun place to visit, and a great place to buy exotic (for us!) foods. I do not recall many shops that would be good for souvenirs, though. Some sell leather goods or clothing, or toys. Since pretty much everything is more expensive in French Polynesia, I'd suggest investing most of your souvenier funds in Oz.

Tahiti souvenirs could include black pearls (but they are frightfully expensive), wood carvings, coconut or tiare soaps, woven baskets, pareu dresses or pareu fabric.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:11 AM

dhb, I'll leave the Oz questions to the experts (haven't been there yet, but hoping to soon).

We were in Tahiti last Thanksgiving, and in Papeete for a couple of days. The market is fun to see and very photogenic: pareos, fresh flowers, fish and vegetables. It's a real market where local folks shop, not just for tourists. Apart from pareos, I don't recall many travel-worthy souvenirs, though Tahitian vanilla might be a great choice for anyone who loves to cook. I was in a perpetual state of confusion about prices and exchange rates, so can't help you there... My problem was getting there when they were open -- check the hours before you go, because they close promptly! Best selections are early in the day. The lovely Tahitian ladies making leis and flower wreaths were very photogenic but they don't necessarily want their pictures taken: be sure to ask their permission first.

Good deal for supper near the markets is the roulottes, rolling catering trucks that set up on the waterfront near the cruise terminal. I think they set up around 6 pm, and you can just walk around them to see what folks are eating and what appeals to you. Since food on Tahiti is very expensive, it's a good way to help the budget. For more info, you might try cruisecritic board under Ports of Call -- lots of S. Pacific postings there.

Enjoy your trip -- we loved Polynesia.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 05:30 PM

Pubs and clubs cater to budget eating out and sometimes can actually be fairly good food. Often in club cafeteria style, line up with a tray and carry your food to the table. Some have help yourself buffet but they may go over $20.

Downtown Sydney there are some pubs that sell $5.00 steaks or chicken schnitzel for lunch but not sure for dinner. they cater to the worker. There is one on Foveaux Street, Surry Hills (near Central railway) that I know does do dinner as well but quite boring area otherwise.

Chinese food is often cheap and there are loads of food halls that serve up lower priced meals. Even in Chinatown they have food halls.

Then there is the fish market if you love fish but getting the light rail there may eat into the budget more than the food! Though pretty sure buses would get you close.

Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:30 AM

Go the Chinatown Noodle Restaurant - fantastic homemade noodles from northern China. My daughter swears by the Combination Noodles. SHe reckons thats where MArco Polo discovered pasta - It does have a resemblance to Spag Bol. It was included in an article on the best 50 foodie places in Sydney. Check out the others at http://www.smh.com.au/news/good-livi...957996736.html
It sure ain't glamourous but addictive and you would be hard pressed to spend AUD 10.00 per person.
Haighs Chocolates (a South Australian Institution) and Darrell Lea (a Sydney Institution) are both located on George St just south of King St.

Aug 23rd, 2005, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

thank you so much for taking the time to answer me!! I appreciate it so much, I have all of these tips written down! dhb